Shorties 5'1"--how many calories?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1"

If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body had to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for women over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I am a living breathing example of that. I went from obese to now under 12% BF and I've maintained for one year and built muscle the whole time. You don't BUILD muscle in starvation mode, so I proved everyone wrong.

So did all these ladies ---> http://www.venusindex.com/transformation-contest/

If you want to learn the real truth invest in this. I gain nothing by it, but I am passionate about other people finding the same success I did and learning all the myths floating about in the diet industry that is designed to keep getting your money over and over. --- > http://www.anythinggoesdiet.com/no-diet-rules-allowed.php (This is NOT about eating junk food!)

My story here --> http://www.venusindex.com/roberta-saums-venus-index-transformation/

Oh yeah and you can do this WITHOUT a personal trainer or coaching. Read the book, it explains the answers, done. Then just do it.

-Bobbie
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1200 to lose, plus I eat back exercise cals. I might up it to 1300 because I started lifting twice a week. It's all trial and error for me!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1". I was trying to stay around 1200 but I upped it to 1300 on most day with 1400 on strength days. It has helped although it's only been a few weeks. I did seafood/vegetarian August and realized if I needed more calories to make up some of the things I wasn't getting. I also figured out what my daily protein intake should be (70-80g). I started back eating (other) meat this month, but I plan to continue eating a mostly vegetarian diet (lifestyle) so I'll keep it up.

My goal weight is 135, I'm currently 172 (down 19.6 pounds)! :)
  • ZambiNan
    ZambiNan Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' even. I ate 1200+exercise calories a day and succesfully lost weight- from150 to 130- then I slowly upped my calories from 1200 to 1250 to 1300 etc, continued to lose weight. Currently I'm at 122 pounds, eating 1650+exercise calories, and I"m maintaining weight. I'm a runner and run 3-4 times a week plus a day of crosstraining.
  • awillkies
    awillkies Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    this is really interesting to see everyone's different stats & goals. i'm 5'3"- my goal currently is weight loss (fat around gut but also doing JM to lose around whole body). i'm set at 1200 (1400 when i work out) i usually do an average of 960-1390 cals a day. i eat more on the days i feel i need it, and less on the days i'm not hungry. i work out 4-5 x a week. weight loss is slow but steady (only 6 lbs to lose so it's slooooooowwwww). maintence will be interesting.
  • JenSkinLaPierre
    JenSkinLaPierre Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dan knows his stuff. . . . click on the link and follow those guidelines. There are way too many factors to give a suggested calorie intake for everyone at that height. I'm 5'1" .... I work out a lot (average calorie burn per workout is 500), eat around 1600 - 1800 per day. It's worked for me.
    I truly hate these threads.
    Your calorie intake is based on factors and its not just about height.

Height
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Routine

I have clients at 5'1" consuming 2200+ cals to lose fat.

I have clients at 5'1" consuming 1400 cals to lose fat.

For clarity read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I eat about 1000 a day. I have one free day a week where I eat anything I want. I do the 30 day shred. I'm never hungry, I just make choices that are smart and will fill me up. Oh and if I really want something like a chocolate bar, I'll go ahead and have it.

(normally but in the last couple of weeks i've been revising, which leads to snacking, so some days I've been eating 2000 a day.)

xx

Don't follow this advice.
    1k a day isn't very smart for anyone above 3 feet tall.
  • _Amanda_lynn
    Options
    Wow!!

Thank you so much for all the feed back. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what will work for me.

I workout 5 days a week, each workout is about a 400 cal burn, but when I'm not working out I'm very sedentary. Home schooling makes you sit at the desk with your kids a lot. :tongue:

I eat around 1500 cals a day and eat back most of my cals from my workouts. My weight loss is a bit slow and I have noticed if I eat more than 1700 cals I gain weight. :mad:

Thanks again for all the replies

Cheers
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I truly hate these threads.
    Your calorie intake is based on factors and its not just about height.

Height
    Body fat%
    Occupation
    Routine

I have clients at 5'1" consuming 2200+ cals to lose fat.

I have clients at 5'1" consuming 1400 cals to lose fat.

For clarity read this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I eat about 1000 a day. I have one free day a week where I eat anything I want. I do the 30 day shred. I'm never hungry, I just make choices that are smart and will fill me up. Oh and if I really want something like a chocolate bar, I'll go ahead and have it.

(normally but in the last couple of weeks i've been revising, which leads to snacking, so some days I've been eating 2000 a day.)

xx

Don't follow this advice.
    1k a day isn't very smart for anyone above 3 feet tall.

It wasn't advice it was information about how much I eat. At no point did I give advice.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    Yeah it just totally depends. I'm 5'2 and eat somewhere between 1200-1500 cals most days. I don't log my exercise so I don't eat back exercise calories. It's been a year of trial and error to see what would work for me and what wouldn't. I started at 170 and am 133 now, my goal is around 125. My loss as slowed down quite a bit because I'm in the home stretch but I still loose weekly even if it is just .5lbs at this point. You really just need to eat, weigh, eat, weigh, eat, weigh until you find your sweet spot. I can maintain my weight on about 1600 calories. I'm a petite person, it doesn't take much.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 1 and I have in the past had a lot of success with sticking to 1200 calories and eating most of my exercise calories. So for me, that is around 1400 calories a day. I fell off the wagon and gained it all back but I'm back now.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 also, and I start with a base of 1200, but I do eat back my exercise cals, so I usually eat somewhere between 1,700-1,850 a day.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1". In order to lose I need to eat around 1500 calories. 1200 is too little and my body hangs on to it. At my current weight, to maintain, I can eat 2,000 calories. However, when I do get to my goal (which feels like forever) I may have to stick to 1,500 net.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm 4' 11 1/2" so I just enter 5 feet on here....for weight loss it suggested 1200 a day...I'm not sure what my maintenance would be. My goal is to be 115. It's been working for me so far, I'm losing at a steady (not fast) pace. And I don't feel deprived with only 1200 calories.
  • vlsalvaggio
    Options
    Im 5'1 and my calorie intake should be 1200 but i eat around 1000. and i try not to eat back my exercise calories because i find that if i do i dont lose. my goal weight is to be around 120ish.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 14% bf and weigh 110.
    I do cardio 4 times a week and strength train 2-3 times a week. I lose at 1600-1800 and maintain at 2000-2400 =)
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    When I was heaviest (Don't know how heavy that WAS because I had an aversion to scales for obvious reasons, but it was probably close to 200 give or take a few pounds), I would eat around 1000-1200 and the weight would literally fall right off. As I got more active, I should have upped that number. I did not. I started eating >500 calories per day and developed a serious eating disorder which has destroyed my metabolism and damaged my heart and digestive system.

Just a cautionary tale, don't let your height make you think you're an exception to the rules about what good nutrition is - that's a very dangerous and slippery way of thinking.
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    5'1 3/4
    eat 1400 a day & some days I eat back my exercise calories.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11''

Lose 1500-1700 total
    Maintain 2000 total.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and my calorie goal is 1800/day. I am losing 1-2 pounds per week. My goal weight is 150.

ETA: If I were to maintain this weight, I would be at 2400 calories/day without exercise or 2700/day with my regular routine.
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Good morning,

I am 4'11.5" and I currently weigh 147 - my goal weight is around 128-134(depending on how I look)
    I eat 1600 calories a day give or take - I could never do 1200 or lower as I am a runner and I weight train 3 days a week.
    I rarely eat my exercise calories back unless I have had an extreme workout then I will eat around 1900 calories.

I was at a stand still for about 6 months - kept gaining and losing the same 3 pounds after I tried the eat more to lose weight - I was eating about 1800-1900 calories a day - I have since cut that back to 1600 and so far in the last 3 weeks I have lost 5.0 pounds.

Good luck