Need help figuring out calorie burning

Options
I've tried googling with no success so I figured I'd ask here. What I'd like to know is about how many calories you'd burn working as a night stocker at a grocery store? We work for four hours straight, hard, then hour lunch, then hard for another 4 hours. I mean sweating and breathing hard. The app doesn't have anything close to an exercise for it. I've been using the walking at 4.0 mph brisk pace. I think it may be too high, as it says I burn 3,010 calories in one night.

The first time I was on night crew I weighed 196 pounds and in three months dropped to 170 pounds. It's insanely hard work, cardio and strength as well.

Also, what do ya'll think a grocery checker would burn an hour? I can't find an equivalent exercise for that either. It's harder work than you may think!

Any help you guys could provide would be great! TIA

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I bet you are burning those calories. What you say about it sure looks like it. Especially with your old weight loss. I bet you're hungry too - which tells you you are using calories.

If you want more accuracy use a pedometer to count your steps (those are pretty cheap) or get a heart rate monitor (which are a lot more expensive, but you can get them used on ebay).
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn factors - height, weight, age, gender AND exertion level. This exertion level DEPENDS upon your level of fitness. No apps and no websites can give you accurate numbers. A heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) measures your heart rate constantly. This works for cardio exercises ... but not lifting.

I work at a desk, so my activity level is set to sedentary. You should set your activity level higher ... this should "incorporate" most of the calories you burn "on the job"

Pedeometers .... yes they counts steps .... but the SPEED at which you are walking is a very important factor also.
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't do the stocking all the time, sometimes I check, those are slower exercise days for me, which is why I wanted to know if anyone had a guess about how much a checker would burn.

I am hungry a lot but don't eat, I drink a lot of water instead. I try to eat healthier, but today I had TWO donuts!!! I was bad. I'd like to eat super healthy all the time as a lifestyle change but I can not get my family on board and it's hard for just one person in a household to eat that way because every good thing I buy goes to waste because no one else will eat it. I prefer not to eat meat, I eat very little dairy and it's usually ice cream or milk in my coffee. I cut my soda intake WAY back as well and that helped a lot. I can not drink diet soda because I am allergic to artificial sweeteners.

I have been looking into getting a pedometer as well. I didn't know you could get a heart rate monitor for home/personal use. I'll have to look them up.

If it helps, I am almost 5'9" inches tall, female, aged 32 (almost), and I currently weigh about 165 naked upon waking in the am. I'd like to get down to 150 but I am also very heavy boned with broad shoulders and at 150 I'll look pretty thin, so maybe like 155. My target areas are tummy and thighs.