Motivation to Exercise

Options
I read a great blog post yesterday that truly inspired me,
but when I got home I was so exhausted...well that and the fact I was up until about
1130 PM doing homework. I am 50 years old and back in college. I will finish it in
March, but I don't want to wait to finish school before starting an exercise program.
I know exercise is key to success with my weight loss journey. My problem is taking
that first step. The only thing limiting my exercise is time, a bone spur, and well
exhaustion. So should I wait for March and not stress over it, or try something?

Could really use some suggestions and encouragement.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I will finish it in March, but I don't want to wait to finish school before starting an exercise program.

What if you finished your college and got into shape at the same time? The two ideas are not mutually exclusive. I think it would be great to have both goals completed by next march. Squeeze in some time somewhere. I get up at 6 am to do some cardio and do my strength training at night after dinner. The rest of my day is full so I put it in where I can. Cut out some television and get some sleep at night. That will help with the exhaustion.

How bad do you want it?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Have you been sedentary for a long time, or are you up to more vigorous activity?
    March is a long time to wait to get started. Perhaps you can settle on something low intensity you can do in 30 minutes or less?
    For instance, if you have a problem area, you could do light rehab exercises for that area to prepare for more intense work when you have more free time. Stretching might be also be a good way to go.
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    Hey! It's so easy to make excuses not to exercise. It together with good healthy eating habits is the only way to loose weight.
    I just plan and then do without thinking about it. Kinda of like a robot. Once I get rolling I am sooooooooo glad I did it.
    You can do it too! It really does feel after. A great big since of satisfaction.
  • heathersteffensen
    heathersteffensen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try to add a bit in each day. I go for short walks on my breaks at work. I may only burn 70-100 calories but that is 70-100 calories each time I go for a walk. I have also started to walk when I get home. So I'm getting my 30 minutes or more a day but its broken up to fit my schedule.

Try breaking it up a bit so you can get the excersize you need without killing yourself and making it fit in a tight schedule.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you have the time I would start an exercise regime. March is a long way off. I wouldn't make it a difficult one considering you have a lot on your plate. Just do something relatively uncomplicated such as Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD and get an early morning walk in. That's what I do and I'm 55 years old. Even if you only do 30 minutes 3-4 times a week it's something. I certainly understand your not wanting to over load yourself. What really helps me stay motivated is a Fitbit Ultra. They cost $99.00 but is definitely worth it .. it is a great motivator. It's very small and all you do is wear it under your clothes and it calculates all movement during the day. You'll find calories you didn't even know you were burning. Trust me, it's a great motivator. I wish you the best of luck. And congratulations being in college at age 50. WAY TO GO!!! :flowerforyou:

If you're looking for a friend feel free to add me!
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    548935_403277676398897_901889393_n.jpg
  • angelofmusic87
    Options
    Why not jump on a treadmill or something while reading your books? You'll forget you're even exercising! Two birds with one stone :happy: good luck! :heart:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try to add a bit in each day. I go for short walks on my breaks at work. I may only burn 70-100 calories but that is 70-100 calories each time I go for a walk. I have also started to walk when I get home. So I'm getting my 30 minutes or more a day but its broken up to fit my schedule.

Try breaking it up a bit so you can get the excersize you need without killing yourself and making it fit in a tight schedule.

^This! One step at a time.

Try yoga - great for busting stress

I like Walk at Home DVDs ... here's a clip on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related
    The great thing about these .... just 15-20 minutes at a time, it all adds up.
  • FourLynne
    FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Before leaving work yesterday, I took a peek at all the responses.

Firstly, thank you for all the tips and encouragement!

I was driving home and instead of turning left to go run an errand, I found myself turning right.
    I found myself sitting outside the old track at a school, and even though I was not dressed for working out
    I jumped out of my vehicle and said I can do this. One lap. Well, I ended up doing two! I was elated.
    So, I'm not stopping...I'm starting and I have each one of you to thank for giving me a hand up in the
    encouragement department.

To respond to one question, I've been mostly sedentary for years. This will take some undoing and won't happen overnight but one step at a time in the right direction.

I also appreciate those that asked to friend request me. I believe all of us together will meet our individual challenges! Thank you for caring!
  • cmaggies
    cmaggies Posts: 12
    Options
    I am the same age as you roughly and I find it hard to motivate myself. I have trouble exercising on my own. However, I am trying to incorporate exercise into part of my work day. I'm a teacher - did 30 minutes yard duty today. Not fast walking, but walking just the same. I also try to park several rows back from the entrance to the supermarket. Longer walks on the weekend when I have more time. Can't wait for daylight saving for more after school hours!:smile: