bruising after working out?

Options
Does anyone else get bruises on certain areas after working out? Recently I have been getting one on my left calf muscle, big ol softball size. I have upped my intensity on my workouts so I am guessing that is the reason? I always make sure to warm up, cool down and stretch. The dang thing doesn't hurt, it's just there.

Replies

• 24kmparks
    24kmparks Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So funny you post this, because I have been noticing 'mystery' bruises myself. What in the world causes these? Mine aren't painful either!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do that cause you to bruise?
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    not sure what that is from! i get them on my wrists from dumbbells. lol
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be a bada$$, get used to it. :)
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Yep I have them too, but then again I've always bruised really easy
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    I am on the elliptical and alternating between a couple Jillian michaels videos
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I've read that bruising or internal vessels/capillaries breaking is normal in people that work out a lot, especially with high impact cardio, which is one reason why women tend to be anemic. I bruise (but then again I'm on blood thinner), but never that large of a bruise.

If you take anything like Omegas, garlic, or ibuprofen, all of those thin your blood. You might want to have your doctor do a pro-time just to make sure your blood isn't too thin.
  • nyking32
    Options
    have u been doing decline sit-ups...sometimes the elevation of the bench can cause stress on the calf muscle! just a thought
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts do you do that cause you to bruise?

2nd this -- what are you doing?
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    I've read that bruising or internal vessels/capillaries breaking is normal in people that work out a lot, especially with high impact cardio, which is one reason why women tend to be anemic. I bruise (but then again I'm on blood thinner), but never that large of a bruise.

If you take anything like Omegas, garlic, or ibuprofen, all of those thin your blood. You might want to have your doctor do a pro-time just to make sure your blood isn't too thin.

Nope no blood thinners, oddly enough a few months ago I was in having a full panel done on my blood, they also checked that along with a plethora of other things.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I bruise from sports training (there's tackling involved) and from lifting. It is kind of strange that you're bruising from the elliptical/Jillian Michaels. It's possible that you are popping blood vessels due to increased blood pressure during exercise. What's your blood pressure like?
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options
    have u been doing decline sit-ups...sometimes the elevation of the bench can cause stress on the calf muscle! just a thought

uhhh I don't even know what those are, but since it involves a bench, that's a no :)
  • newlifecowgirl
    Options

I bruise from sports training (there's tackling involved) and from lifting. It is kind of strange that you're bruising from the elliptical/Jillian Michaels. It's possible that you are popping blood vessels due to increased blood pressure during exercise. What's your blood pressure like?

it was 117/79 ( i think) last week when I was in the doc office, they said I am healthier than I have been in a long time ( bruising happened after doc visit)
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you are going to be a bada$$, get used to it. :)

Haha! Love this! :laugh: :laugh: I come home with bruises all of the time. But......Fighter Fitness tends to do that to some people. :laugh: :laugh:
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    not sure what that is from! i get them on my wrists from dumbbells. lol

This is the only bruising I get.
  • staciedee10
    staciedee10 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    SO glad to see this! I have been bruising on my legs and had no idea why. I did up my cardio BIG time. Running on the elliptical for 35 minutes and then doing 30 minutes on the bicycle. Changed my cardio to HIIT. LOVE IT! Glad to know others are bruising as well. :wink: :wink:
  • whothehellami
    Options
    So happy to find this post. My family were starting to panic a bit -I've had leukaemia -but I knew I had seen the bruising on other people who were exercising.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Are you getting them anywhere else? I'm doing Body Revolution and I get them on my outer thighs. I've realized it's from doing certain exercises where I have the weight resting there, or I accidentally knock myself especially during the balance ones. I didn't have this problem with any other program I've done though. Maybe it's a Jillian thing.
  • Marshmallow1994
    Options
    This has been kinda reassuring.

I work out pretty heavily 5-6 days of the week, sometimes 7. I do weighted pull-ups/close-legged weighted squats/weighted push-ups/curls/shrugs/planks regularly and also incorporate kettlebell circuits every now and again.

I've recently noticed my body is constantly bruised, mainly my calves and thighs, and occasionally my bicep (I currently have one bruise there which is the first I've noticed). I'm also a bartender and waiter so work/move around a lot in general.

I assume these bruises are likely the result of all this, rather than something awful?

The bruises are all pretty light and faint too, as well as being painless.
  • lindseykp
    Options
    I have been noticing small bruises on my legs, and arms too! They don't hurt at all. I hope its from all my HIIT workouts. But I do have an appointment with my doctor soon and I will be bringing it up with her.