Why do people get mad at vegan/vegetarians on mfp?

Options
redraidergirl2009
redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
I'm wondering this. I am a transitioning vegan. I do not push my dietary/lifestyle choices on anyone. Will I tell them what has worked for me in losing weight? Yes. A vegan diet works for me. I have some food allergies and reactions, especially to dairy. Eating it made me very bloated and have sinus infection after sinus infection. I also feel better in general on this type of diet. Do I think it will work for everyone? Maybe not.

But lately I see on any thread about veganism or vegetarianism that SOME meat eaters come on the thread to troll and reply with stupid things like "I like meat yummm". I wonder why. If someone is vegan or vegetarian is that suppose to make them jealous or something? They made the choice not to eat meat so they're probably not going to want a burger or a steak after you say that.

Then there are also the people who try and tell vegans they aren't really vegan because animals die in the process of getting grains, crops ect, of course. No one is 100% vegan. No one because at some point everyone steps on a bug or indirectly kills one. So why even make that argument is it suppose to accomplish something?

On the flipside i've seen a few vegans here that are super preachy when no one asked. I'm not going to name names but I'm sure we know who they are as they do this regularly and they will debate till their blue in the face that humans are not meant to eat meat. Honestly, we'll never know so why argue?

I can understand being mad at the pushy ones, personally I don't like them too and they are what gives veganism a bad rap imo. But why assume everyone is the same? or why do you feel threatened because some people choose to eat differently than you?

note:this is about dietary vegans/vegetarians on mfp, not those that incorporate the entire lifestyle.

edit: I thought I made it clear that yes I do realize that some vegs do troll as well and believe they are superior for whatever reason.

Replies

• Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they're usually afraid of change.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian is an old Indian world for "Bad HUnter"....saw that on a bumper sticker once.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Some of us can be very opinionated and downright rude when it comes to people who choose to eat meat. Not everybody, but a lot of us.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they're usually afraid of change.

i don't hate vegans/vegetarians. but i have to ask, what change? if someone is going to continue to eat meat, regardless of who posts about a vegan/vegetarian diet, then what change are they afraid of?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find that often times, vegans think they're superior to meat eaters. And like you said, they can be preachy. Not always, but it happens a lot. So even if you aren't doing that, many meat eaters will roll their eyes and think "Ugh, it's another vegan, thinking they're better than us." Just my honest opinion. I don't think that all vegans think they're better or push their lifestyle on others, though. You obviously aren't doing that.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this. I am a transitioning vegan. I do not push my dietary/lifestyle choices on anyone. Will I tell them what has worked for me in losing weight? Yes. A vegan diet works for me. I have some food allergies and reactions, especially to dairy. Eating it made me very bloated and have sinus infection after sinus infection. I also feel better in general on this type of diet. Do I think it will work for everyone? Maybe not.

But lately I see on any thread about veganism or vegetarianism that SOME meat eaters come on the thread to troll and reply with stupid things like "I like meat yummm". I wonder why. Is someone is vegan or vegetarian is that suppose to make them jealous or something? They made the choice not to eat meat so they're probably not going to want a burger or a steak after you say that.

Then there are also the people who try and tell vegans they aren't really vegan because animals die in the process of getting grains, crops ect, of course. No one is 100% vegan. No one because at some point everyone steps on a bug or indirectly kills one. So why even make that argument is it suppose to accomplish something?

On the flipside i've seen a few vegans here that are super preachy when no one asked. I'm not going to name names but I'm sure we know who they are as they do this regularly and they will debate till their blue in the face that humans are not meant to eat meat. Honestly, we'll never know so why argue?

I can understand being mad at the pushy ones, personally I don't like them too and they are what gives veganism a bad rap imo. But why assume everyone is the same? or why do you feel threatened because some people choose to eat differently than you?

note:this is about dietary vegans/vegetarians on mfp, not those that incorporate the entire lifestyle.

How many meat eating threads have you seen where a vegetarian doesn't come in and say "meat is bad for you", "poor animals", "meat give you atherosclerosis" Point is both sides troll.....Not just one or the other. Frankly I could care less what you eat unless you start trying to tell me what I should eat.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Because the ones who are over opinionated tell the rest of us we are evil and try to guilt people into living meat free.

If you wanna be vegan/vegetarian cheers, I was a vegan for 6 months....but it just wasn't for me.
    I don't want to be told Im evil because I like to eat meat.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Some of us can be very opinionated and downright rude when it comes to people who choose to eat meat. Not everybody, but a lot of us.

Exactly. I have no issue whatsoever with someone who chooses to eat vegan or vegitarian or any other specific type of diet. That is their choice, and they have their own reasons for doing so. What really, REALLY irritates me about many of them is that they act like this choice somehow makes them morally superior to anyone who doesn't follow their way......it's not a diet choice to many of them, it's practically a religion. Those vegans and vegitarians who act in that manner simply take themselves WAY too seriously.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

But lately I see on any thread about veganism or vegetarianism that SOME meat eaters come on the thread to troll and reply with stupid things like "I like meat yummm". I wonder why. Is someone is vegan or vegetarian is that suppose to make them jealous or something? They made the choice not to eat meat so they're probably not going to want a burger or a steak after you say that.

How many meat eating threads have you seen where a vegetarian doesn't come in and say "meat is bad for you", "poor animals", "meat give you atherosclerosis" Point is both sides troll.....Not just one or the other. Frankly I could care less what you eat unless you start trying to tell me what I should eat.

If you read my post I addressed the issue that some vegans on mfp do preach/troll as well. Thank you.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Bah who cares! Ignore them they clearly have their own issues. There are a lot of us here who will give you support so hooray for you, keep it up!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Nobody on this site truly cares if you want to be a vegetarian, trust me. This post is an attempt to cause drama and my prediction is, it's gonna work.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    All my friends (meat-eaters included) are super supportive. I haven't had a problem.
    That being said I do make my "veg posts" in the MFP group Happy Herbivore. So, that could be the reason I don't get combative replies.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Bah who cares! Ignore them they clearly have their own issues. There are a lot of us here who will give you support so hooray for you, keep it up!

This, but as Jac said, it does go the other way, too.

Do what you feel is right. :smile:
  • mikiecarson
    mikiecarson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My family just watched the documentary "Food, Inc." and certainly get why people go vegan. Yikes, it is scarry what big corporations are doing to our food, and meat especially. Good for you!
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I think that often, not always, Vegans and vegetarians come over very badly.

Whereas other diet fans promote the pro's and con's health wise, Vegans often resort to the 'I am a better person that you because you are cruel to animals'

One of my close friends is a Vegan and she is great. She is happy to educate about the industry and says to make choices based on the facts. Another friend is also Vegan and she talks about how superior she is constantly. I fantasize about eating her sometimes just to shut her up.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    I think that often, not always, Vegans and vegetarians come over very badly.

Whereas other diet fans promote the pro's and con's health wise, Vegans often resort to the 'I am a better person that you because you are cruel to animals'

One of my close friends is a Vegan and she is great. She is happy to educate about the industry and says to make choices based on the facts. Another friend is also Vegan and she talks about how superior she is constantly. I fantasize about eating her sometimes just to shut her up.

I have problems with the vegan zealots but I could care less about what people eat.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Nobody on this site truly cares if you want to be a vegetarian, trust me. This post is an attempt to cause drama and my prediction is, it's gonna work.

This x 10.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    not sure if someone youve just met is vegan? Wait 2 seconds and they'll tell you 50 times.

I dont care about what you eat, so please dont tell me all about it. I dont want to hear that your poop doesnt float either.

I get frustrated- not angry- not hatey- just frustrated because, in my experience, vegan is a kind of religion. They utilise guilt, ethics, personal responsibility and shame while using public platforms, personal relationships and ambush guerilla type tactics to ensure that they have the optimum chance to convert you.

I love meat.

I dont need a full page to explain that and I have no need at all to tell strangers that. How about vegans and vegetarians dont be so obsessed with food and just fuel themselves, cool?

no hurtfulness intended, just bombarded by this alot in Brooklyn.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    "You don't win friends with salad" - Homer J. Simpson

lol seriously, i don't have any issue, just don't judge me. I've dated a few vegetarians, it was awkward going out to eat at first but i got over it, i wont convert you you wont convert me
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    how do you know you're at a party with a vegetarian/vegan? they'll tell you.
This discussion has been closed.