Tips for new runners

Options
2»

Replies

• to_the_surface
    Options
    Check this out (I'm not associated in any way to this guy/website):

This is the guy behind the run walk run walk system.

I think you are confusing Greg McMillan with Jeff Galloway.

Oops, I think you're right. I use the mcmillan calculator for guidelines on pacing for my training. Galloway is the run,walk,run guy. In any case, useful info in both places.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K, definitely. I did the 9 week program and have moved on to the 5 to 10K Trainer. I can currently run 30-35min without stopping. FYI, less than 2 years ago I was a 1+ pack a day smoker.

Couch to 5K works!
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    I started out the same way back when I used to run..........a few mins jogging, then walking....... and before I knew it I could go an hour without stopping. Keep in mind though I ran VERY slow......... turtle turtle! But I did it........... I tried to get back into it a few months ago, but I had a huge problem with my left leg and had stent surgery and lots of stuff recently, so by trying to just run a minute and then walk, I blew out the knee. I gotta start super s-l-o-w............ ! Good luck to you I'm hoping to do the same soon!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you, I printed off the schedule for C25K and I'm going to start with it today. My running days was normally just tues and thurs, so now I'm going to throw another day in there, but all the other tips were great too. I will use all of them.

That's awesome! I just finished the Week 5 workouts. I was just like you in the beginning. I could barely jog for a minute, but last night I jogged for TWENTY minutes! It's an awesome feeling of accomplishment. The C25K program is excellent. Don't forget to post your progress! :happy:
  • Skinny_Jeans_Soon
    Skinny_Jeans_Soon Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K but realized about 2 weeks in that I could progress much faster then the program was so I chucked it aside and just started adding .5 mile to each run. When I got to 3.5 miles I started working on jog/run intervals to increase my overall speed. Just push yourself each time, you will surprise yourself with the progress you make.
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 4 days a week a min of 45 minutes. I do a lot of cardio but I feel like I’m going to pass out and die when I run. I started jogging for 2 minutes and then walking for 1 minute etc. I now can jog for about 5 minutes but I wish I can go for a mile straight without a break. Does anyone have any pointers, tips, motivation anything that can help? I’m currently jogging/ walking on just Tuesdays and Thursdays for 45 minutes.

i started just like this in january, now can run outside 8 miles in 70 minutes. remember my first week was horrible 3-4 mph max for 30 minutes at a 5% incline, after a month i was at 10% incline and 4.5 mph. 2nd month all i did was run at 6.5 pmh 3 % incline and than went outside the 4th month.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Here is a repost of my tips for new runners;

1. Good Pair of Running Shoes properly fitted by someone who knows what they are talking about. They are the third most important piece of equipment after your feet and brain.

2. Listen to your body. If you aren't used to running, the urge to go as far as you can, as fast as you can, can and usually does lead to injuries.

3. Most people should follow the 10% rule... never exceed the previous weeks running by more than 10% (especially on longer runs). Build gradually, Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was marathon distance running. Keep in mind, according to mythology the first Greek who ran to Marathon dropped dead on arrival. Don't be that guy!

4. Take a program or running clinic. They will guide you to what are reasonable distances and what to expect. Running Clinics are wonderful opportunities to learn about the sport and run with other people of similar experience levels. The offer you a coached experience. It is also fun to run in a group. You can find the programs online or at your local running stores (I coach for the Running Room)

5. Find a running buddy will help keep you motivated.

6. Sign up for an event and train for it. Most people start by signing up for a 5K about 10 weeks out. Again, keeps you focused and the feeling of success when you cross the finish line is fantastic. Start with a 5K, build to a 10K, then a Half, and Full and eventually Ultra (my goal for this year).

7. There is an old adage that you can't teach speed. Don't be discouraged by your pace, work on endurance first. Speed comes much later. I have people in my clinics who run 8 minute miles, and I have people who run 15 minute miles. They are all fabulous and dedicated runners. I teach people that we are all as different as our feet, I couldn't run a mile in your shoes, and you'd trip all over the place in mine ( unless you wear a size 12 double E width

8. Treat every run as a learning experience. Did you have a great run today? Or was it a supremely crappy one? Why was that? What went wrong? Not every run is going to be an awesome run, and not all of them bad. Try to find the positives and build from them.

Probably many more things I could add. Feel free to add me as a friend if you have questions or need advice.

Good luck and be safe!

PS. Injured my ankle during a short relay event and my Ultra plans are on hold for now.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    i started just like this in january, now can run outside 8 miles in 70 minutes. remember my first week was horrible 3-4 mph max for 30 minutes at a 5% incline, after a month i was at 10% incline and 4.5 mph. 2nd month all i did was run at 6.5 pmh 3 % incline and than went outside the 4th month.

You went from a 15:00 mile for 30 minutes to an 8:45 mile for 70 minutes in 8 months?