Longing for the RIGHT kind of support

Options
You know what doesn't help when you're trying to lose weight??? Some of your friends and co-workers who look at you and say "You don't need to lose weight. How much can you possibly lose?" Then when you tell them, their jaws drop. I happen to carry my weight all over which I know, lucky me, but it still doesn't mean that I'm healthy and fit. I am so THANKFUL to this website because of all the great people on here and the wonderful motiviation. I also have some really great close friends and my mom who are right behind me on this journey every step of the way too. You have to believe in yourself if you want to get things done but it doesn't mean you can't get help from others along the way. Everyone keep moving forward, you are doing AMAZING! :happy:

Replies

• Southerngal93
    Options
    I TOTALLY agree! Before I joined the other day, I felt hopeless...I was so down on myself because I've spent my whole life being made fun of for being bigger. Now that I'm here, I'm surrounded by people like me whose goal is to be happy, healthy, and lose weight. I don't feel so alone anymore. Thank you all! Couldn't ask for better support here.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    No clue why... when I first saw this topic my first thought was people longing for the proper support bra.
  • squires03071986
    squires03071986 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You know what doesn't help when you're trying to lose weight??? Some of your friends and co-workers who look at you and say "You don't need to lose weight. How much can you possibly lose?" Then when you tell them, their jaws drop. I happen to carry my weight all over which I know, lucky me, but it still doesn't mean that I'm healthy and fit. I am so THANKFUL to this website because of all the great people on here and the wonderful motiviation. I also have some really great close friends and my mom who are right behind me on this journey every step of the way too. You have to believe in yourself if you want to get things done but it doesn't mean you can't get help from others along the way. Everyone keep moving forward, you are doing AMAZING! :happy:

I totally understand this, my best friend is constantly on at me that I don't need to lose weight and is so unsupportive. I am 2.5 stone over what I should be and what I have been before. It is so annoying!! I don't look my actual weight, I know people think I am smaller than I am but they should trust my judgement. The Doctor advised me to lose weight and despite telling my colleagues and friends this they still seem to think I am dieting to 'attention seek!' It is just so demotivating.
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    I totally agree. I have noticed that the ones that tell me that I don't need to lose weight are bigger than me. If I lose the weight does that make you look bad and so you need to say this to me? If I only had the nerve to actually say it. :laugh:
  • squires03071986
    squires03071986 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. I have noticed that the ones that tell me that I don't need to lose weight are bigger than me. If I lose the weight does that make you look bad and so you need to say this to me? If I only had the nerve to actually say it. :laugh:
    LOL!! Wonder what their reaction would be if you said it?? :-)
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    We lvoe you too! Seriously I hate when ppl B!thc about you (as in "me") but seriously they dont know wahts good for you- only you do. :)
  • freogal29
    Options
    Hey i am in the exact position as you !!
    I was wondering if you guys could help me out as on the 1st september i am starting my change !!
    please help and follow myblog

http://montanaef.tumblr.com/Aboutme

x
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    UGH. YES. although i have a great group of friends and family who support me. only my mom is the one who doesn't tell me i should stop soon. she understands that even if i look healthy i'm still at an unhealthy weight. everyone else is like OMG 40 MORE POUNDS? YOU'RE GONNA BE TOO SKINNY. no. i'm gonna be healthy. and i'm starting to lift weights so i'm gonna be toned as balls.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more. I am very petite, so being 20 pounds overweight doesn't look like much to the people around me. I too, just want to be at a healthy weight for my build, age, and height. Needless to say, when people ask me my goal weight, they think I am crazy....but I don't care about them- I will live longer :laugh:
  • vqnerdballs
    Options
    I totally get this feeling, too. This summer my weight shot up rapidly and none of my friends have really noticed (though my mom did, of course), but *I* know there's a difference because I can feel it. Technically I'm still in the ideal body weight range for my height and age, but I'm pushing it now where I was squarely in the middle of that range before, and I want to go back to a place where I feel comfortable with my body -- and maybe even beyond, since I wasn't really that athletic or in shape to begin with! But I'm worried that my friends aren't going to understand if I tell them about it in too much detail.