1200 Calories a day plus workout

Options
13»

Replies

• crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just have a question on where the vast majority of individuals on here trying to lose weight are getting this 1200 calorie number. I know everyone has different requirements, my BMR alone is in the 1900-2000 range. Not to mention my calories burned during workouts on top of daily activities.

Well, my maintenance calories are about 1600-1700 calories daily. Myfitnesspal has me set at 1200 because -500 a day = pound of fat lost weekly. A lot of people on here are aiming for 1-2 pounds a week, so that's where the 1200 comes from.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 cals a day even when i workout, it will bring your deficit up and loose more... if you dont get too hungry

You will lose weight quicker HOWEVER, much of the weight you lose will be muscle mass. Rapid weight loss is prone to plateaus also.

I eat all my exercise calories back because my goal is to lose FAT not muscle. Decreasing my body fat% is about losing fat (not muscle).
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I just have a question on where the vast majority of individuals on here trying to lose weight are getting this 1200 calorie number. I know everyone has different requirements, my BMR alone is in the 1900-2000 range. Not to mention my calories burned during workouts on top of daily activities.

1200 is a popular number because people new to MFP plug in some "large number" of pounds per week to lose.

So MFP gives them the absolute lowest number it can 1200 (for women) ....... that does NOT mean 1200 calories is best for everyone, and it does NOT guarantee the "large number" of pounds lost per week WILL happen .... or even CAN happen.
  • MrsHakes2012
    Options
    I myself have been in that situation lately. I don't get the opportunity to work out till in the evening after dinner. I try to stay within the 1200 calories per day but then when I work out I am burning a good 200-300 calories. After my workout entry it puts me back to 200-300 below the 1200 calorie limit. What are some good food choices to fulfill those calories back but yet help my body continue to burn while I sleep?
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Wow lots of bad advice here.

Hmm - so why don't you elaborate, then, if you know all the right answers?

my thought exactly. why is it a bad advice ?
  • TeaBea
    Options

Hmm - so why don't you elaborate, then, if you know all the right answers?

my thought exactly. why is it a bad advice ?

The bad advice I see (my opinion) is this

1. Eat back calories if you are hungry......um, there are plenty of anorexics that are "stuffed" on 800 calories a day. Hunger does not indicate whether your body is using muscle mass for fuel. Eating high quality (protein & fat) nourishing foods (as opposed to high volume/high fiber foods)....helps you keep muscle & lose fat. Protein & fat are calorie dense....no problem upping calories with these.

MFP includes ZERO exercise & then gives you a deficit. Exercise adds to that deficit.

2. Accepting 1200 as "gospel"......1200 is merely a lowest default number....it's not based upon height, weight, age, activity level. 1200 comes from "I want to lose XX pounds per week"......you put in a too high number here.....1200 is a too low number there. It is possible that 1200 is an appropriate number....but don't assume
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Yup. You probably shouldn't be eating 1200 calories anyways.
    This calculator is based off of your daily expenditure:
    http://www.health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced

If anything just make healthier choices instead of counting calories.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    MFP is configured so that 1200 is the lowest goal it will give you. Lots of people end up with 1200 as their goal because they choose a rate of loss that is too aggressive and unrealistic, and MFP won't calcuate a goal under 1200. So if someone has a TDEE of 1500 but still really thinks they want to lose 2 pounds a week, instead of showing them a pop-up that says "You are dumb and need to reconsider your goals," MFP gives them the automatic floor of 1200. (Just pulled the example out of the air, but you know what I mean).