Weight Loss - Depression - Anxiety

Options
So I've been off track lately because of my depression and anxiety. I've refused to go to the gym because I just don't want to be around other people. I have 5 or 6 personal training appointments that I have scheduled, and I tried to cancel them, but head office isn't letting me because of my contract. I'm really tempted to just let them lapse.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I just go and risk possibly having an anxiety attack...or maybe it will make me feel better....I don't even know anymore.

Replies

• dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    oh honey.....I am so sorry. Have you seen a medical Dr? I too struggle with depression and had a really rough summer because of it and I very much want to isolate when I feel like that. I increased my antidepressant dosage a couple of weeks ago and I feel like a new woman. Don't suffer needlessly......go see a Dr. HUGSSSS to you and take GENTLE care!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Look at your profile picture - you were out being active and you look like you're beaming.

I don't know how anxiety works, but I've been told that you have to "fight" depression - force yourself to do the things that it's telling you not to do. I would give it a go - go to one of your appointments, see what happens. I'm putting my money on you'll feel better that you did.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    GO EXERCISE. It's a great distraction, and it will help get your chemical imbalance a bit better adjusted. Give your trainer a heads-up going into the session, and then do the best you can. It will be worth it! (And yes, I've suffered from depression... exercise always, always helped.)
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    I am also struggling with anxiety and depression. I know sometimes what looks simple to other people can just be so hard and scary. What might help is if you eliminate other stressors from your life. Can you reschedule them for a time that is less busy at the gym?

Maybe try creating a mantra to help you through your time with the trainer or focus outside of yourself.

Be strong, you can do it! :)
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If going to the gym and seeing the personal trainer makes your symptoms worse then maybe you should try exercising on your own for a while? Some walking or other exercise will definitely be beneficial though. Make yourself do something even if you don't feel like it
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So I've been off track lately because of my depression and anxiety. I've refused to go to the gym because I just don't want to be around other people. I have 5 or 6 personal training appointments that I have scheduled, and I tried to cancel them, but head office isn't letting me because of my contract. I'm really tempted to just let them lapse.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Should I just go and risk possibly having an anxiety attack...or maybe it will make me feel better....I don't even know anymore.
    Here, OP...
    I posted this earlier for a similar thread. Hope this helps.
    I remember how strange and disabling the anxiety was.

Tue 08/14/12 10:22 AM

A few years ago I experienced depression for the first time ever.
    Took me by surprise!
    Now I can empathize with those who experience this.
    My experience was to get complete healing from it:
    Use exercise as part of your treatment! The healing combo for me was exercise, stress reduction, vitamin d3, fish oil and St John's Wort (herb) extract. ( I took the herb for 6 months, and sometimes take it during the winter months as preventative).

PM me if you want more details.
    My suggestion is, if you need to cancel the social things 'cause it's too overwhelming right now, that's fine!
    Just start exercising in private.
    Maybe a bike...do you have one?

Best wishes and blessings!
  • sarah6336
    sarah6336 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Feel better... You should try to get out. It can't be good to isolate yourself. Maybe, you should seek help from a professional. It has got to be hard but hang in there.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    My friend has anxiety attacks due to work stress. She said when she works out and eats better she doesn't have episodes where she feels like she might faint. Are you taking vitamins?
    http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/how-to-take-niacin-vitamin-b3-for-depression-and-anxiety
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and suffer from severe anxiety, even when I'm manic. I know very well that there are days where you just don't GIVE A FCK. haha. And depression DOES make you physically tired-- I've slept for 24 hours just from being depressed (NOT on any drug, even prescription) before. Sometimes, you CAN'T just make yourself get up and exercise. But if you ever feel like you can-- even if it's just five minutes of stretching-- sometimes it will help your serotonin levels enough to motivate you to do a little more. It's about tiny, little baby steps.

Sometimes I cave and use caffeine as a way to help, and it usually does to an extent. A good option is green tea, because it's full of L-theanine, which has been proven to help help anxiety and depression. You can even get L-theanine pills and take those if you need a larger dose. Do a little research; there are no as-yet-discovered side-effects. Other natural remedies like valerian root or St. John's Wort may also help (but be careful with any of those; St. John's can make birth control pills ineffective, for example).

Aside from natural remedies, therapy and prescriptions CAN be helpful. For me, they have never been the sudden cure that we all want when we force ourselves to pour out our problems to a doctor. But they are definitely worth looking in to. Alternative therapies like acupuncture and massage may help you more than you can imagine, as well.

If making all these appointments/doing research on your own is too overwhelming right now, get someone to help you. I hope things look up soon. I have been there so many times, but it's about the will to improve your life, not the fact that it's not currently like you want it.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Look at your profile picture - you were out being active and you look like you're beaming.

I don't know how anxiety works, but I've been told that you have to "fight" depression - force yourself to do the things that it's telling you not to do. I would give it a go - go to one of your appointments, see what happens. I'm putting my money on you'll feel better that you did.

I'd do this, if all else fails, you can quit early and go home. I know the biggest challenge for me sometimes is just getting out of the house but once I do, I usually start to feel better.
  • Help4nb
    Help4nb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    im sorry to hear your struggling, but dont give up as it will make you feel worse!
    try and go , set a time limit of say 30 mins for the first visit and if it goes ok increase the next visit by 10 mins until you are happy! a workout will make you feel better and boast your mood .
    maybe u could take some calming music to listen to if you start to panic?? remember the first time will be difficult but at the end of it you will be able to say"YES I DID IT!"
    hope it goes well , add me if you like??
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am on meds right now...but also my fault for not consistently taking them. I've been under a lot of stress with my job and my boyfriends new job.

I'm going to try and go tonight, I'll just let my trainer know beforehand about whats going on.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I've had panic disorder since i was a kid of 7 or 8 years old. When I was younger the doctors actually didn't even know what was up, as it wasn't as common (or as correctly diagnosed) as it is now.

I've learned a couple things along the way:

- Push yourself out of your comfort zone. Panic attacks tend to get worse the more you cater to them.... when you've skipped something you've scheduled to do, your body says "oh! good thing we didn't go, we prevented a panic attack! we'll have to prevent more by not going in the future!" The absolute worst thing you can do with panic attacks is cancel activities because of them... anything that is scheduled you shouldn't cancel, because it ultimately reinforces panic attacks and agoraphobia (which go hand in hand).

- A doctor told me recently that chemically, exercising for 45 mins is equivalent to taking an antidepressant. While I'm not sure if this is true, I do notice a HUGE difference in the amount of panic attacks I have when I do and do not exercise. Start small, and get the blood flowing... I promise you within a couple weeks you will notice the difference.

- Take comfort in the fact that others are also struggling with anxiety and depression. Panic attacks often make you think that you're the only one experiencing symptoms and that you need to hide them... instead, reach out to those around you (on here is a great way!) and take comfort in knowing that it's something MANY people have experienced and gotten over... there is hope!

- Lastly, if your symptoms are awful, please do consider seeing a therapist and getting on an antidepressant. I know that medication isn't for everyone, but if your panic attacks and depression are getting in the way of you living a happy life (as they were for me), please take the first step to get help.

ANYONE, please friend me if you need someone to support you in struggles with anxiety/working out. This is something I'm passionate about & certainly hits close to home (even now). Best of luck!
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry hun :(. I have depression and anxiety also and am now medicated so I can sleep. Best thing ever!

Anyway, I agree with everyone who says get the excercise in anyway you can. Just do it a home if the gym seems overhelming and work up to it.

Feel free to friend me if you like. :)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nothing has helped me more with my depression and anxiety than the confidence and feeling of accomplishment I get when I finish a hard workout or when I started running and could actually do it.

However, if it is that bad, you should definitely see a doctor or counselor to manage the feelings.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    GO EXERCISE. It's a great distraction, and it will help get your chemical imbalance a bit better adjusted. Give your trainer a heads-up going into the session, and then do the best you can. It will be worth it! (And yes, I've suffered from depression... exercise always, always helped.)

It depends on how severe the depression is. The only time in my life I was suicidal, I was a runner. Exercise can definitely help......but not always a cure all.
  • rebeccalray5
    Options

I suffer from an anxiety disorder from PTSD and I am slightly OCD (another anxiety disorder). I have to exercise daily to not have a full blown anxiety attack. I completely understand you though because I went and bought a tread mill and I only to workouts posted on hulu and youtube to avoid people and freaking out. I can't suggest for you to keep the appointments but maybe you can write them and tell them the situation.
  • dyannajoy
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I am on meds right now...but also my fault for not consistently taking them. I've been under a lot of stress with my job and my boyfriends new job.

I'm going to try and go tonight, I'll just let my trainer know beforehand about whats going on.

Sounds like a great plan! I am so proud of you for planning to go and yes.....telling your trainer is a very wise idea......and if they are not compassionate and caring.......get another trainer. HUGS and much caring!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a giant hug. I can relate. There are days when my depression/anxiety prevents me from sticking with my exercise but I always feel better when I get out there & do it. Wishing you success!
  • Leeanne1974
    Leeanne1974 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oh my darling xxx
    I have had anxiety and depression and ocd since I was 8 on and off. I honestly find that it has been a slow journey but compared to how I used to feel I feel a million times better. I try and eat quite a bit of fruit and veg and also carbs.
    I CANNOT function without carbs, I get depressed and low and very anxious. It isn't about a carb addiction, my body just needs them to keep my "happy bags" on an even keel.
    Banana, Brazil nuts, wholemeal bread, rice, dairy... Those are things that help me immensely.
    Don't go under your cals, if you don't feel like going to a gym then try a gentle walk.
    Please feel free to add me if you need a supportive friend.
    Anxiety is a *kitten* and a vile black dog (to use the words of Winston Churchill) but you can and will get through it xxx