How do YOU handle running out of daily calories?

Options

Replies

• MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just go over. If I can squeeze in a walk, I'll take it.
    If not, I just eat below the following day. One or two days of going over isn't going to harm your progress.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    It kind of cheers me up when I run out because it forces me to exercise later to get my net calories down. Just eat at the time and work it off later.

Edited to say you can easily do this by walking. Even 30 mins or an hour of fast paced walking.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I would try to squeeze more exercise in, but if I can't, I try to even out the calories with the rest of the week. For example if I ate 300 calories over today, I would eat 100 less for the next 3 days. It happens :)

^^^^^THIS!!!
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner as usual, forget about it, and move on. Everyone "slips up" sometimes and as long as it's not a daily event, it won't hurt your bottom line that much. Feel good about your progress made so far (37 lbs is a great start!) and tomorrow is a new day. Adding in a bit of exercise won't hurt either!:happy:
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the 2 oreos from lunch, I will have a healthy dinner. I dont stress as long as its not a daily thing.... If it is and you are hungry mayber your calories need to be reevaluated.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It all depends on when I go over, if its during lunch, then I make sure that I work out more that day. Or just eat a plain salad for dinner without meat, etc. If not, then I don't sweat over it and put myself down like I used to and just give up. I just say, if I live another day, then tomorrow I will do it better with my calories and working out. All of us go over our calories sometimes, the key is not giving up on yourself and doing the - I'm just going to give up because this isn't going to work. Been there and done that and not doing that anymore. We go into depression eating and that only adds on the calories and guilt.
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I try to burn a couple hundred calories in exercise after work if I see that I am going to go over. Some days though I just let it happen and go over the calories. I enjoy eating waaaay too much... LOL.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eat dinner. It's ok to go over once in awhile. Just make sure you don't say "Screw it" and eat 2000 extra calories since you already overate today.
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eat a light dinner and do some exercise and make sure the next few days I stay on track or go under calories (as long as you are not set to something silly like 1,200 calories). One day is not the end of the world as long as you don't do it regularly, it is no big deal.

'Yes! I was going to ask about your calorie settings. Your diary is not open so this could be one area to look at. Many people on here, literally starve themselves by not eating right to begin with. Those peanuts probably were good for you, in moderation of course though. I know you don't like exercising, but what about a short brisk walk? A walk even burns...I walk to pick/drop the kids off to school everyday. Cutback at times to allow the deficit.
  • smalpeg
    smalpeg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    don't beat yourself up.eat a light dinner.try not to repeat the mistake. carry carrots and celery to munch on when these situations arrive. plan ahead when you know ahead.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Not to be rude, but behaviour changes are a big part of it. If you're at your calorie limit, stop eating.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I prelog my meals for 3 or 4 days in advance so I don't usually go over.

If I do have an instance like that, where I get blind sided by something I'll throw in an extra bit of exercise to work it off and/or remove the rest of my snacks for that day to make up for it.

I'll still eat my 2 other regular meals though.

No sense in beating yourself up over it, life happens and healthy living isn't a 'diet' it's a lifestyle. It has to be flexible to work.
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Like many above, I try and eat light for the rest of the day but accept that I will go over. I remind myself that it's just one day and re-commit to staying under the rest of the week. I also review what I ate that day, take a look at what put me over, and make a plan for how to replace that item in my diet moving forward.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    As long as the day hasn't taken you over maintenance just write it off. Skipping your evening meal will just make you more likely to overeat tomorrow.
  • kellya009
    kellya009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I used to be pretty uptight about keeping my calories on track for the DAY.

But then I started thinking more in terms of the WEEK.

Some days I'm way under due to lots of exercise. I try and have my weekly average be what I focus on now.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Let it go and make healthy choices the rest of the day. In the end I always end up averaging it out at the end of the week by +/- 100 calories. That's what matters, the average at the end of your week!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would try to squeeze more exercise in, but if I can't, I try to even out the calories with the rest of the week. For example if I ate 300 calories over today, I would eat 100 less for the next 3 days. It happens :)

^^^ This is what I do too. Shave just a bit off my cals for the next few days to even out what I can't burn.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    I would find an exercise that you don't absolutely hate. I go over all the time, but afterward I will hop on the bike, lift weights, or go for a jog. I always know that I can eat whatever I want so long as I work it off.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    First off, the more you exercise, the more you start to like it. Eventually, you will feel like you NEED it.

To answer your question, I wouldn't "give up" on the day just because you lost control at lunch. Personally, I'd exercise, eat a lighter dinner and try to keep my deficit. However, if exercise is definitely out of the question, I'd at the minimum eat a salad and try to to go over your TDEE. At the very least it makes today a wash.

The fact is, though, you are in the situation you are in (not just today's, but in fact, needing to lose weight in general) because you have bad habits - not preaching to you, you know/admit this. If you don't change your bad habits, you aren't going to change yourself long term. Whatever goal you set for yourself is fine with me, but if your goal is to lose weight and be healthy, you can't continue to just accept and live with the bad habits.

Exercise is not your enemy - the human body functions better the more you use it! Just start slow and keep challenging yourself to continue.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Work out enough that I never do....or if I'm over by a couple hundred, don't worry about it. Not a big deal unless you go crazy over.