Water question

Options
This may seem silly or "nit-picky", but I am confused about how much water I should be drinking each day. I know MFP has it as "8 Cups of Water", but does it literally mean 8 "cups" or 8 "glasses". A cup is 8 ounces and a standard glass (I have been told) is 10 to 12 ounces. I have been logging a "cup" of water as 12oz, but that seems like a lot. Basically, I guess my question is how many ounces counts as a "cup" of water on MFP?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It means eight 8 oz cups/glasses of liquid. It doesn't have to be plain water (though plain water is a great no calorie choice) and it's just a general guideline.
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    8 oz
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Eight 8 oz cups is generally what is recommended. There is some debate on if that needs to be just water or can include other fluids.

My thoughts on it are here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dancingj2/view/what-to-count-as-water-171672#comments

This is waht the mayo clinic suggests.
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • GoinOrganic
    GoinOrganic Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    8 8oz a day= 64oz is 1/2 a gal... which is a MINIMUM.... there is a formula based on weight, I forget it though... but for my size it's 3 quarts a day... and I try to do that to 1gal a day depending on my activity and eating.... If I stay between 3quarts to 1gallon a day, my weight is more stable, even if I do sweets etc...
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The formula is divide your weight by 2 to get the number of ounces of fluid to drink a day
  • AliMariesDad
    Options
    The formula is divide your weight by 2 to get the number of ounces of fluid to drink a day

Sorry to nitpick here, but it's to get the number of ounces of plain water a day. Any other fluids would count as extra. So if you drink tea or coffee, you shouldn't count that as part of your daily intake of water.
    (My chiropracter's been drilling that into my head for years now.)