Dip Day Ideas

Options
Tomorrow is Dip Day at work, what's a quick and easy dip I can make?? Thanks!!

Replies

• chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Well depends if you want a healthy one or not. Around here (at work) they would shoot me.

If healthy I would go for a homemade mango salsa.

If off the record I would go with a chili dip. Can of hormel chili (no beans), brick of cream cheese, can of diced green chilis, shredded cheddar. You can mix some velvetta in there to really get those arteries clogging. I use a variety of spices also like liquid smoke, cumin, chili powder etc. All depends on the audience i.e. heat and salt....
  • xzotikmama
    xzotikmama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    never heard of "dip days" what a great idea!!!
  • JeniSue28
    JeniSue28 Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    For a healthy dip I would do homemade salsa or a fruit salsa. But, my favorite dip is a spinach and artichoke dip.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try Plain 0% Greek Yogurt with a packet of dry ranch dressing mix.

Or, a little bit more work, but fresh Pico de gallo. Just chop tomato, green pepper, jalapeno, onion, cilantro and squeeze on some lime. I like to add black beans and mexican corn to make it a bit more filling.

Or, check out SkinnyTaste.com, my family loved her cilantro lime dressing!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    2 small jars of chopped artichoke hearts, 1 package of fat free cream cheese, some fat-free mayo (can't remember how much - maybe 1/4 cup?) and parmesan. Mix together and bake for 20 minutes at 350F.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    Taco dip is one of my family's favs but it's not healthy. Take a box (8 oz) of cream cheese and an 8 oz. container of sour cream, mix them together and add one packet of taco seasoning. Spread that mixture in the bottom of a pan. On top of that add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and chopped olives, top with shredded cheese......... eat with tortilla chips. I can eat the whole thing, nom nom nom
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is Dip Day at work, what's a quick and easy dip I can make?? Thanks!!

I use the 0% Greek Yogurt for Tatziki: Cucumbers, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, dill. Yum!
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    OR fruit dip....... one box (8 oz) cream cheese mixed with one container marshmellow fluff and one small container of strawberry greek yogurt. Mix well with beaters, top with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Delish with strawberries, bananas, apples.....etc
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made dip using Tofu or fat free fage? You can use any seasoning mix (ranch, lipton onion soup mix) and instead of using sour cream you can use a either Fage (fat free greek yogurt) or firm Tofu - when you blend firm tofu it becomes a dip like consistency and as a dip it's very good.

but home made salsa is always good and so it home made guacamole

For guacamole - just blend (in a food processor or blender) 2 or 3 avocados, add in diced raw onion, peppers (I use orange or red bell peppers), add in a little cumin, chili powder, dash of cayenne and a little squeeze of lemon juice). My family loves my guac; you can also toss in some parsley or cilantro (I'm allergic to cilantro, so parsley is the sub).
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Pico!

Makes a lot, you could cut the recipe down.

Pico.jpg

Pickle.gif
  • LaurenLite
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, sundried tomatos, basil, and walnuts (all chopped and mixed). VERY fast and easy. Using plain greek yogurt as a base reduces cals and gives a good flavor.

You could also just stop and get a Tzatziki (it's made with greek yogurt). Whole Foods has several options (usually 35 cals for 2 tablespoons)
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    What about homemade guacamole? I use tomato's, fresh or frozen cilantro, finely diced raw red onions, microplane raw garlic or minced, a squeeze of lime juice, a small piece of fresh jalpeno (opt) and a McCormick seasoning pack. 2 Avocado's per 1 seasoning pack & its low in sodium. Prepare the pico de gallo w/ a pinch of salt ( tomato, onion, garlic, cilantro etc.) seperate from the mashed avocado, then mix all together or have each seperatly. Enjoy with some low fat, low sodium, baked ( if you can find them) tortilla or bake those yourself too.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Taco dip is one of my family's favs but it's not healthy. Take a box (8 oz) of cream cheese and an 8 oz. container of sour cream, mix them together and add one packet of taco seasoning. Spread that mixture in the bottom of a pan. On top of that add chopped onions, chopped tomatoes and chopped olives, top with shredded cheese......... eat with tortilla chips. I can eat the whole thing, nom nom nom

You could probably make this lower fat and less "bad". Skip the cream cheese and sour cream - use Greek yogurt instead. Mix in the taco seasoning, spread in dish, layer with a load of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, peppers and a light sprinkle of shredded low fat cheese. I have even seen the greek yogurt, then layer of salsa, then the veggie toppings and cheese. I am sure it would still be super yummy - and it will look fat-laden :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My dip is awesome. USE MINE!
  • bigchambergirl
    Options
    Had the best dip this weekend...tatziki...which my friend brought to dinner (can't get enough) even the kids ate it!

2 cups greek yogurt 0%
    1 cup of light feta cheese
    1 medium english cucumber grated and drained
    2 tbsp red onion
    1 clove of garlic
    lemon juice
  • SkinnyBPW
    Options
    Baked feta dip is amazing! Like pizza in a dish...mix one jar pizza sauce and a container of feta cheese (low fat to make it health conscious) and bake in the oven until cheese looks melted. It's really good w/ sliced french bread or baguette, but it would still be delicious with whatever!
  • Jfrerichs
    Jfrerichs Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My fav is mango salsa:
    2 mangoes diced finely
    1 cucumber, peeled and seeded - diced finely
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    some lime juice (to taste)
    some crushed red pepper (to taste)

Julie
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Some great recipes for dips listed! Here's another for Avocado Salsa- dice and combine:
    2 plum tomatoes
    2 avocados
    2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 garlic cloves
    1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
  • justmarried15
    justmarried15 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hummus!
    this is my non-recipe, adjust to your taste.

one can of chickpeas (i like reduced sodium), drained (but reserve the liquid!)
    1-2 cloves of garlic
    1/4 - 1/2 cup of tahini (sesame paste)
    1/2 - 1 lemon
    olive oil
    salt and pepper (and/or other seasonings that you like)
    zaatar (Mediterranean spice blend), paprika, extra olive oil/tahini for decoration

blend chickpeas, tahini and lemon juice together, using reserved liquid until you reach your desired consistency. i like mine thick but smooth. add olive oil for body and texture and flavour (you probably don't need more than 1/4 cup, and sometimes a tablespoon or so will do!)
    taste! add salt/pepper/zaatar/paprika to taste.
    you can also add zest from the lemon for a bit more "spark"

decorate by sprinkling the seasoning on top and a drizzle of olive oil.

homemade is so much better than store bought and you can adjust the fat and flavour to your liking! it will keep in the fridge for a few days, maybe up to a week.

serve with pita and veggies for the health-conscious!

Or you could make this sauce from my fav blogger, Smittenkitchen:

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2012/06/asparagus-with-almonds-and-yogurt-dressing/

I use low fat yogurt/sour cream and I use it on/for everything!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Ditto hummus! I substitute peanut butter for tahini, coconut oil for olive oil, and it gets rave reviews.