AFAA or ACE

rockchalkKU
rockchalkKU Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello ya'll,

I am thinking about getting certified to be a personal trainer and I was wondering if anyone knew which organization was a better one; AFAA or ACE? And does anyone know which certification is more widely accepted by gyms around the country? Your input and help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!!

Replies

• mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Old post, and I'm looking for the same advice. Figured I'd give this a bump rather than post new. Anybody how has either or both?
  • Either one is a good program. I'm going through NCSF for personal training but I'm AFAA certified in group fitness & will be going to ACE for their Lifestyle & Weight management certification lol

All three are in the top ten certification agencies :)
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    I'm certified through AFAA. There is a LOT of reading material but it's all good stuff!! I took the weekend workshop which really prepared me for the test. I have friends that are both AFAA or ACE, I think either are great choices! Good luck!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    NASM is also good.

I think it is good to get either one as both are great. Also, when you save up the money (and have the time) it would help to get as many certs as you can. A lot of gyms and clubs around me give higher pay if you have more than 1 cert, and it looks better when you go to get hired.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    If you have to pick between the two, get ACE. Don't get me wrong, AFAA is a great certification. But unfortunately, a lot of gyms around here won't accept it. The gyms around here only accept what my EP professors call the top 5: ACSM, ACE, NSCA, NASM, and NCSF. As part of my exercise physiology program, we have to get either ACSM or NSCA, even though I already have ACE and about a dozen other smaller certifications. I do highly recommend the smaller, less well known, certifications for group exercise and specialties because they will help you get to teach other things at your gym.
This discussion has been closed.