runners - help with side muscle pain

Options
Last Friday I had a great run - my best yet - did a whole mile not stopping and felt I could probably do more - but I walked a while- and then ran back probably .6-.7 of the last mile. (Obviously Im new at it- used do- but am rebuilding my endurance)

So in spite of the great feeling at the time- my side now hurts- not a stitch or cramp in the gut- the muscle that raps over the hip (wish I new the technical term for ya) To further describe location- its more towards the back of the hip- almost lower back but hip, not back.

When I ran today(1 mile each way - little walk in the middle of the 2 miles) I felt it - tho not as bad. I have been messaging the area and while I walked I rubbed it and ran some more. I feel it today a lot. Its weird I feel it more when Im just walking around my house then I do at a dead run. It doesnt stop me from running but I feel I could be better if it wasnt bugging me.

Any insight? A pull, tear, or just need some rest? Is it my gait that causes only one side to hurt?

I do have an appt with my family doc because my new routine has brought up a few concerns and I havent had a physical in a while. (Im 40) So maybe she'll know something - maybe I just need a professional message :laugh: that might be it.

Replies