A stitch in time.....

Options
Hey y'all,

I'm here because numerous google searches aren't giving me the results I need! Now, that's either because I'm looking with the wrong words (totally possible) or that no one has put reliable info up about this (less possible, but lets give me the benefit of the doubt.....).

It all started about 2 months ago. I started getting these absolutely debilitating stitches whilst I was out running. I've been running since January. Around the time the stitches started, and since I have not increased my distance nor my pace by any huge amount. In fact I've probably cut down on distance.

Anyway, about 5 minutes into my run (nearly everytime at the moment) I'm getting stitches that are so painful I can't move. Usually in my lower abs, todays was in the muscles around the diaphragm (where I'd expect it).

I have tried:

*Drinking before and during.
*Not drinking anything for 15 mins before exercising and nothing during (I dislike that one a lot).
*Pushing the stitch (heard somewhere that might help).
*Stopping and breathing till the pain subsides (it starts immediately when I start running again).
*Slowing down and breathing deeply, but trying not to stop.
*Massaging the area.
*Stopping and bending down to touch my toes (yeah, random but I heard that helped too....).
*Three breaths in via my nose, then 3 via my mouth as a change to my breathing pattern (made it worse).

Most info I found via google mentions people who are out of shape or increasing pace/distance, I'm not out of shape and I'm not increasing pace or distance.

Has anyone had a similar thing happen? How did you overcome it? Or do you know of anything I CAN do to get rid of them, because they're seriously starting to affect my performance now!

I'm 26 and weigh 153Ibs (5'5"). I run once a week at the moment (because of these damn stiches) and have cut down to around 2.5/3 miles a session. I don't get stitches whilst swimming, but do occasionally whilst doing Turbo Fire cardio.

Replies

• igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help you, sounds as though you used to be able to run fine and that the stitches have come on recently... but when I started running I got really bad stitches. For me, it had to do with not knowing how to regulate my breathing properly when running. I would find myself sort of gasping for breath through my mouth or taking really short deep breaths like I couldn't get enough air.

I started running slower and concentrated on my breathing. Breathing in time with my strides - breathe in for 2 strides, breathe out for 2 or 3 strides. It took a while to get used to - but once I had the rhythm right I felt so much better. I hardly ever get stitches now...

Not sure if that's relevant to you though.

Good luck - I do know how damn painful they can be!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this will help you, sounds as though you used to be able to run fine and that the stitches have come on recently... but when I started running I got really bad stitches. For me, it had to do with not knowing how to regulate my breathing properly when running. I would find myself sort of gasping for breath through my mouth or taking really short deep breaths like I couldn't get enough air.

I started running slower and concentrated on my breathing. Breathing in time with my strides - breathe in for 2 strides, breathe out for 2 or 3 strides. It took a while to get used to - but once I had the rhythm right I felt so much better. I hardly ever get stitches now...

Not sure if that's relevant to you though.

Good luck - I do know how damn painful they can be!

Thanks! When I started running I didn't have any problems with stitches or anything like it, it's such an irritation! But I'll give that technique a go, maybe I've put my breathing pattern out or something.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stop drinking and eating at least one hour prior to my runs or I get an upset stomach or worse side stitches than usual. I do drink water during the run, but only a sip or so at a time. I often get a side stitch on my right side when I need a drink, so I'll drink (and keep running) and it typically makes the stitch go away.

Any others I just run through and they eventually go away.

There's only been one time I actually had to fully stop from one. It was right at the 6 mile mark on a 12 mile run and as I was coming up to my turnaround, I felt a small stitch, and then almost instantly after I turned around, it felt like someone came out of nowhere and kicked me in the stomach. I was forced to stop from the pain and the fact that I could get my breath. I massaged the area as I continued walking and once the initial force of pain subsided and I could take a deep breath again, I started back up running.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    I often get a side stitch on my right side when I need a drink, so I'll drink (and keep running) and it typically makes the stitch go away.

That's interesting....I'll try that!
  • JoanneStone
    JoanneStone Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You should speak to a health professional. Pain on a consistent basis is USUALLY a sign something is wrong. Get it checked out, they may or may not have an answer for you, but you have nothing to lose!
  • eknobbe
    eknobbe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I cant remember where I read or heard this but I heard that breathing out while running and landing on your left foot can cause more pressure on the diaphragm and side stitches. So whenever I start getting a stitch I try to time my breathing to breath out when I land on my right foot. It is not the easiest thing to do but I like to think if helps!
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thanks for the responses all, it gives me a lot to consider - I think I've heard the left foot one before, not tried that yet!

And I think I may see a doc if I try everything and it's still messing about!