Looking for direction/tips on beginner weight training...

Options
I've had trainers in the past and they have given me workout programs. While I did learn from my trainers I failed to develop into a place where I felt comfortable doing it on my own. I'm wanting to get back into the weight section at the gym and I am wanting to be able to do it on my own and feel 100% comfortable. The gym I go to has a great weight area.

Any tips for beginners? Any direction you can send my way on what, how or where to start? Do legs and back together on one day? Do arms and abs?

Any info or your own stories on how you got started would be very much appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Replies

• lauralprince
    lauralprince Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello. Have you ever tried using at home dvds:) Actually just yesterday when I was doing my workout I was like this is like having my own personal trainer! I always enjoyed lifting but never really knew what to do. There are some great options out there!
  • nancyi1
    nancyi1 Posts: 4
    Options
    Can you give some examples of DVDs that you like?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of books that you can check out as well! Many women on MFP love New Rules of Lifting for Women, so that is one option. I went a different direction with The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! There are pre designed plans in the book, so you are left with very little guesswork. I have seen some awesome results since I started and it's been just about 8 weeks :)

Good luck!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas are here: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

Getting comfortable for me has meant working out with dumbbells initially, in the women's section of the gym. Thanks to that, I now know a little - a tiny - bit more about what I'm doing (but am totally still learning), so feel less odd in the men's section, where the barbells are.

(It's not really the 'men's' section of course, but, come on.)
  • Raw_Bean
    Raw_Bean Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Hello. Have you ever tried using at home dvds:) Actually just yesterday when I was doing my workout I was like this is like having my own personal trainer! I always enjoyed lifting but never really knew what to do. There are some great options out there!

Thank you, I will look out for these. I do have Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred which I think is amazing. 27-28 mins and I'm feeling that workout!
  • Raw_Bean
    Options

Oh wow!!! TONS of info...I am going straight there to read my morning away (I'm on vaca!) after I finish looking at these thread responses.

Thank you!
  • Raw_Bean
    Options
    There are a couple of books that you can check out as well! Many women on MFP love New Rules of Lifting for Women, so that is one option. I went a different direction with The Women's Health Big Book of Exercises and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!! There are pre designed plans in the book, so you are left with very little guesswork. I have seen some awesome results since I started and it's been just about 8 weeks :)

Good luck!

We are heading to the library this evening. I will check for these two books. Thank you for the suggestions.
  • Raw_Bean
    Options
    Some great ideas are here: http://www.stumptuous.com/category/training/workout_ideas

Getting comfortable for me has meant working out with dumbbells initially, in the women's section of the gym. Thanks to that, I now know a little - a tiny - bit more about what I'm doing (but am totally still learning), so feel less odd in the men's section, where the barbells are.

(It's not really the 'men's' section of course, but, come on.)

Good for you for getting started. I've read the success boards on a regular basis because I find them motivating! I see how people find lifting super beneficial!

The gym I go to is two floors, the first floor is main reception area, cardio, group area, locker/bathrooms, offices, tanning and a small childcare section. The ENTIRE top floor is devoted to weights except for a few small personal training offices and personal training desk. It's great! It's a little intimidating to walk up there without a game plan. I would say....anywhere from 85-95% of the people up there are men and there is ALWAYS a group of super large muscly men working out. They drop the weights and it practically shakes the building.