How come this happens? Advice!

Options
There are a few things I need some advice on;

1: Why is it that I always feel hungry after I eat? I feel like I am eating plenty but my body does not agree.

2: What are the best exercises to do at home when all you have are 2 5lb dumbells, 1 10lb round weight, and a 5lb kettle bell?

3: Lastly...I want to be able to run outside and go more than 3 minutes without my heart pounding through my chest like it's going to explode. How can I run longer and breathe easier?

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    1 - hard to say without more information. Anecdotally, I'm fuller when I eat more protein (meat, generally).
    3 - build up slowly!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    1. What sort of foods are you eating?
    2. Have a look at some jillion michaels DVDs, available on YouTube
    3. Run more slowly until you build up your ability
  • Jesusgirl0429
    Options
    I've been eating high protien as well and it does seem to keep me full longer. The other thing I've done is take out all sugar for a couple weeks, then add back only whole grains and fruit. It's made a huge difference in how I feel and even with hot flashes and mood swings.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    1. i agree with eating more protein and also drink more water
    2. you could buy jillian michaels 30 day shred or ripped in 30 and use the 5 lb dumb bells (i actually started using soup cans, then 3 lb weights now i used 5 lb) they are about $10 at wal mart
    3. look up couch to 5k.... it will get you running 3.1 miles in 8 weeks... and it works!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    1: I always try to drink a whole glass of water when I'm eating. It gives me space for my food to go down and feel when I'm full and as well the water helps me get rid of that i need to eat more even though i just hate a whole chicken feeling.

3: I hate running, so my opinion to you would be to start walking first and either get your walks to become longer, walk faster or add hills to it.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you had a check up? Strap on a heart monitor and see how high your heart rate go up. Mine get up to 150 to 160 during a run.

And try eating more protein.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    water drink lots and lots of water...usually you think you are hungry, but you really are thirsty. Whn you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

more clean and unprocessed foods will make you feel full, it's all the preservatives, chemicals, and MSG that tend to make you still feel hungry.

oh, the running thing.

It takes time to build up your endurance. Like riding a bicycle, when you first learned, you didn't hop on and ride away. Start out with running for 5 minutes every day for a week, then the next week, add 3-5 more minutes. Typically for cardio, I follow a simple rule "if you can carry on a conversation/read while doing cardio (like running) you are not working hard enough".
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1) I ready a study that shows its quite common for people to be hungry after breakfast. One person recommended "delaying" all meals, and start with lunch, dinner & something later. That was a body building expert and obviously this goes against everything we've ever been told about breakfast and I would suggest not skipping breakfast. I delay my breakfast until I get to work which helps me not be hungry. I can support the anecdotal comment that more protein = more full. A documentary on the Atkins diet showed that people with naturally high protein diets tend to eat less (not including those intentionally eating more to eat more protein).

2. Google is your friend here for plenty of these sorts of exercises. You should also google body weight exercises. I enjoy the livestrong.com site.

3. Also agree with anemoneprose, start slowly. Look into the C25k program.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in fitness or health expert and my comments may be entirely wrong.

Good luck!
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    From my experience I am a bit hungry after I eat a reasonable meal. Before MFP I would eat more. Now I give it 30 minutes and the hunger goes away.
    Can't help you on #2.
    Walk first then alternate walking and jogging then run.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options

1: Why is it that I always feel hungry after I eat? I feel like I am eating plenty but my body does not agree.

2: What are the best exercises to do at home when all you have are 2 5lb dumbells, 1 10lb round weight, and a 5lb kettle bell?

3: Lastly...I want to be able to run outside and go more than 3 minutes without my heart pounding through my chest like it's going to explode. How can I run longer and breathe easier?

#1 If your body is used to a certain amount of food, it will take a while to get used to a new eating plan. Eat lots of healthy, fibre rich foods. They will fill you up and help you feel fuller longer. Protein also sticks with you. Lean meats, veggies and whole grain breads.
    #2 Use the 5 lb kettle bell to do squats, lunges and arm work. Those lighter weights are better for beginners. You don't want to push yourself too hard too fast.
    #3 Running is definitely an aquired taste. If you aren't used to running, it can take a 10 week training program to get yourself running for 30 min straight. Try '10k for Pink' a training app on the iPhone. Or google 'Couch to 10K". it will provide you with a plan to get yourself running. There is nothing wrong with walking for 3 min and running for 1 min. Take your time and don't push it. Your body will get used to it eventually, and it will thank you for taking your time!
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    1. Protein (sometimes you just have to fight the feeling and wait to get the full feeling,provided you are eating enough calories to begin with)
    2. Sorry, I usually don't do weights or just use 2lb ones for the arms
    3. Look into a C25K program (Couch Potato to a 5K) . I started running in Jan and now run 5-7 miles a day. Interval training is the way to get there. Start slower for 30 seconds every 5 min add add running time gradually. This really works!
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Eat really slowly, drop sugar, increase protein, and try to find low G.I foods. Google "fast oxidizers" too.

Sorry no advice on the exercise and running!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Interval training will help you build up to running for longer periods of time. Just don't expect to run a marathon in a week! lol. But yeah, intervals. I get my heart beat up to 175 then walk until it's down to 140, then run again. It burns a nice amount of calories too!
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    1 - your body needs to adjust.... also, drinking water and eating more filling foods can help.

2 - get heavier weights.

3 - run intervals - it will help you build up. it can be done, I just started running in march, for the first time in my life, and I'm training to run a half marathon now.... note: january 2011 when I started I weighed 303lbs. It can be done.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    1. Sounds like you are eating too much sugar/carbs and not enough protein.

3. C25K app. or the outline at www.coolrunning.com
  • foraubs
    foraubs Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just another supporter of C25K!
    When I first started 9 weeks ago I could barely run for 30 seconds and now I run 5K. Be serious. Stick with it. Yield results.

Higher-density, good-for-you foods - homemade granola is my favourite. The stuff I make is 1.5oz/serving and 315 calories and it really fills me up.
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options

eat more protein with a small portion or healthy carbs. this will slow down digestion and keep you fuller longer. and vegetables are also awesome, since they contain a lot of fiber!! drink lots of water.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

1: I'd like to know the answer to that as well haha. If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably you wanting the food but not really needing the food. More of an appetite for good tasting food than actual hunger for nutrients.

2 & 3: Insanity. No equipment required. Here is my experience with running after doing Insanity.
    Before Insanity: Just like you. can't run for more than 2-3 minutes without my heart killing me and my heart rate easily getting up to 200 bpm (have a heart rate monitor).
    After Insanity: Have been able to run for 11 minutes 41 seconds straight (my latest record) with my heart rate not going above 185 bpm. 185 probably sounds high but I can breathe comfortably and my lungs and heart do not feel strained at all.

My best advice if you want to be able to run longer is to do something like insanity or another form of high intensity interval training.

And by the way, I was able to run a 9 minute mile without stopping when I still had three weeks left to go in Insanity. Those are results.
  • cat11nsb
    Options
    I was just reading the other day somewhere that if you have a spike in blood sugar, it sets you up to be hungry for the next 36 hours. I had never thought of it before in that way...I had always just avoided sugar because it was "bad".

Now when I think of balancing my blood sugar, it makes sense why I have felt like there is some other monster dictating what I eat. One blood sugar spike begets more. As I've thought about it in terms of keeping my blood sugar even, it doesn't seem as hard to say no to something.

I second what every one else is saying...that you need more good fats and protein and less carbs/sugar.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Protein helps with hunger. Maybe split into like 5 small meals. Stay full all day.
    http://www.squidoo.com/free-workout-videos-online
    http://www.women-workout-routines.com/free-workout-routines.html
    http://www.kettlebellworkoutplan.com/
    http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/videos/exercises/workout.htm
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/total-body-kettlebell-workout
    Try couch to 5K app. Or wear headphones and run every other song for like 15 minutes. Don't stop until song ends!! Then slowly run through all songs.