I want to do the Tough Mudder in 2013

Options
I started my journey last year at 319 and am currently 214. I don't feel confident that I could do the Tough Mudder this year, but next year I want to do it.

I need a starting point. 12 weeks ago I couldn't run a mile, last night I ran 3 miles for the first time ever. I haven't really focused on strength training because I can't afford a trainer, but I know I need help with this.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to start?

Replies

• edetherington
    edetherington Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    They have some posted training routines and different lifts posted on their website. I'm planning to do a Tough Mudder next year as well. I printed out a couple of their "easy" routine and I plan to start it here pretty soon. Looks like a lot of circuit training and using mostly your own body weight for the lifts. Hope this helped!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in doing Tough Mudder in 2013 as well :D
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I hear it's tough.
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    Do it!! I did the Scotland one and it was AMAZING! I trained by running about 5 miles 3x a week and a longer run (maybe 8miles) once plus loads of circuits in the gym. So press ups, squats, ab works (10 each of 10 types of each is a good place to start). Just keep working hard and you'll be fine, I thought I was miles off ready and ended up running the whole thing and finishing in the top 5%!!
  • fels123
    fels123 Posts: 44
    Options
    Oh and GOOD LUCK :D
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    I would love to run a Tough Mudder next year too, my boyfriend and I were watching videos of them about a month ago. There's no way I could finish it this year but next year would be awesome! You can do it!!
  • Glowbee
    Glowbee Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    YES.

bodybuilding.com

Free training programs! If you don't know how to do a lift, they have videos of every single one to help you. I can't afford a trainer, either, so I have been weight training for seven weeks on my own. I've taken my body fat down 6% and love to lift. I'll be doing tough mudder next year, too!

Good luck! I know you can do it, and you'll love it!
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I want to do it too. I am doing the couch to 5K right now just to be able to run without intervals.. I'm working on my base cardio first then will add more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Great job on the weight loss and getting to the point where a Tough Mudder is on the radar! I'm doing my first one this February in LA myself. Sounds like you're already on track for the running part of it. My suggestion is that you start doing some metabolic training. Basically, you want to get used to both your cardio and strength systems working at the same time so you don't get overly fatigued.

Here's two that I like. The first is the Spartacus workout from a couple years back. You'll need 20-30 pound dumbbells. The second link is all bodywieght so you don't need any equipment. I usually walk out to the park and do that one on the soccer field near my house. Another reason I like the 2nd one is because it's mostly core work and doesn't tax the muscles I need for lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9LEjEV2n1Q&feature=share&list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsFQk4ZKi5I&feature=share&list=PLFC9057ECEA401CCC
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Yes it's totally possible for you to do it.

I plan on doing my 1st tough mudder jan next year (it will be summer time).
    One thing I'm working on is pull ups and chin ups. They are my weakness at the moment. Other than that, just keep up your running and weight training, and you will totally rock it.

Check out some mud runs or stampede's too, that will also give you an idea if you are capable on doing tm.