kickboxing!

Options
Today I replaced the battery in my HRM polar watch, and for the first time in over a year I wore my HRM to workout.

I started kickboxing about 4 weeks ago, and I love it!! Even better... I burned 766 kcal in 43 minutes!!! This 43 minutes included 5 minute warm-up (jumping jacks, high knees, stretching), 5 minute abs/push-ups, and 5 minute cool-down stretch. BAsed on my HRM I burned way more kcal than the website had stated! Great news :)!

I'll be wearing it tomorrow for level 2 kickboxing class, which is 60 minutes long and includes calisthenics and kickboxing rounds. I'll let you know how it goes!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    how do you keep the sensor from being wrecked from people punching/kicking you?
    does the watch work OK under the handwraps?
  • chelw727
    chelw727 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    how do you keep the sensor from being wrecked from people punching/kicking you?
    does the watch work OK under the handwraps?

We use a heavy punching bag, so the band (and myself) doesn't get punched and kicked, fortunately!!
    The watch fit perfectly under my boxing gloves too!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Most martial arts schools only let mid-levell and above students free spar, and then only usually in designated classes or for part of a class. Beginner classes and the majority of time for intermediate and advanced students is spent on techniques, katas, or drills. If you spent most of your time sparring you woukdn't really learn anything other than how to flail faster and harder than the other guys. If you ever saw the Karate Kid, well... Martial arts classes are nothing like that, but you do spend a lot of time doing drills and repeating techniques.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Every beginner boxing/kickboxing/muay thai class I've been in has included partner drills. (not actual sparring, but light contact, hence the question) and they are invaluable if one wants to be good at more than just hitting a bag.

Many will have you actually sparring within a few months, unless you really don't want to. That's in contrast to, say, Tae Kwon Do, which is more about point sparring and usually you have to wait 1-2 belts to get into it. Which is funny, because point sparring tickles and getting a right cross to the solar plexus or a kick to the side of the leg... well it doesn't tickle.