Thoughts on Ideal Protein Diet

Options
I work for a hospital and they've started offering The Ideal Protein Diet at cost to a test group of their employees. I personally am against it and feel it is no different than an other fad protein diet like Atkins. However I am curious since our physicians seem to be behind this one and they've been against so many of them. I worry that because this diet is monitored by a physician their main concern is really just one of money and being able to cash in on this fad. I know they supposedly help the participants wean back into normal healthy eating once they reach their goal weight but are trends like these really the right way to get people to start eating healthy? I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.

Replies

• wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I don't know too much about it. It is fairly new here where I live. I do have one acquaintance that is going that lost 30 lbs in the first month (started at super obese). I don't know if they make you buy their foods or not. If it is like Optifast/Medifast I would certainly skip it because those get real old real quick.

If it is just a structured way to eat then go for it. I have been on such a plan (mine does not have a fancy name) for almost 10 months. It has been really easy to follow and I am off almost all my meds, blood sugar is normal and lipids are back in the normal range. I couldn't recommend mine enough but don't know if it near what this is.

Edit: I just found a site that describes it and sounds like the Optifast/Medifast plans to me. I lost 25 lbs in a month on that but only because I couldn't get myself to eat the stuff. And it didn't last more then the month either.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with you, it is an overpriced fad diet. I'm not a fan of Medifast but I think that would be a better option. I've known some people on Ideal Protein and they are the grumpiest people in the world. Following a 500-800 calorie/day diet isn't the way to go unless it is an absolute last resort.
  • Echofroe
    Echofroe Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ideal Protein is an awesome program! It is a great way to drop pounds quickly and maintain your lean muscle mass. I wouldn't really consider it a "fad diet", because it has been around for nearly 30 years. It started out in France, to help French athletes get ready for the Olympics (helped them drop the weight and keep muscles). Then it migrated to Canada, and has been in the US about 10 years now.
    The doctors are impressed with it, because of the patients being able to maintain lean muscle tissue and the blood work on the pts comes back EXCELLENT. I had a patient start with his triglycerides @377.. dropped to 109 with in two weeks of being on the program. I have had many more great success stories, me included.. I lost 51 pounds in 13 weeks and have been able to keep it off for 3 years. I have tried MANY things in the past..nothing worked as well as this did. It is defiantly worth a shot:happy:
  • daisylovespink
    daisylovespink Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I am getting ready to start the program tomorrow and I'm looking for something to help keep the weight off. I have PCOS so I have insulin issues and last year I lost 50 pounds just through diet and exercise but 30 of it has come back and I can't seem to get it to go away! From the research I've been doing, a lot of people seem to be able to maintain their goal weight (or within 5 pounds) even after transitioning to "normal" foods.
    Ideal Protein is an awesome program! It is a great way to drop pounds quickly and maintain your lean muscle mass. I wouldn't really consider it a "fad diet", because it has been around for nearly 30 years. It started out in France, to help French athletes get ready for the Olympics (helped them drop the weight and keep muscles). Then it migrated to Canada, and has been in the US about 10 years now.
    The doctors are impressed with it, because of the patients being able to maintain lean muscle tissue and the blood work on the pts comes back EXCELLENT. I had a patient start with his triglycerides @377.. dropped to 109 with in two weeks of being on the program. I have had many more great success stories, me included.. I lost 51 pounds in 13 weeks and have been able to keep it off for 3 years. I have tried MANY things in the past..nothing worked as well as this did. It is defiantly worth a shot:happy:
  • ogcoffee
    ogcoffee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    In July of 2011 I started the program and stuck to it. I felt great! I lost 68lbs but had to stop the program before reaching goal of another 16 pounds due to my husband s job loss. I only went through the first two phases. Over the course of 9 months I gained back 26 pounds. I just started back. It is a bit harder due to the stress level of my life not the plan. I would say that is like anything else. I did need IP to help me break through. I had tried many other ways. I also have a certification in weight management but just couldn't hit the mark. I will this time and go through the phases. I highly recommend it for those who have difficulties. It is a mindset like anything. Focus, choose wisely.
  • doggeddetermination
    Options
    I am considering attending an information meeting in about 10 days. Cost is a huge factor for me. Could someone give me at least an idea of what this program costs? Thank you very much.
  • paporisky
    paporisky Posts: 1
    Options
    I would like to drop 10lbs. Never been on a diet. I am a marathon runner. I need a good balance diet. My problem is how can I safely drop the weight and keep my training? Would ideal protein be good for me?
    Paporisky
  • laurievang
    Options
    You should talk to an IP coach about this. I know when I started the dieting, exercise was discouraged. But the doctor who developed this program concentrates on sports medicine... so there may be an alternative program using the products. FYI - I lost over 70 lbs last year on the diet, gained some back due to way too much indulging/vacationing, and am back on the diet with light exercise. And it's going well -- good luck!