Accurate calorie count: Should u count your vitamins or Rx?

Options
Okay, it wasn't until I noticed one of my fitness buds on here was counting his vitamins and listing them in his diary every day that I even thought about all those chalky tablets and gels that I take for various health reasons (e.g. fish oil, etc.). So, I wondered and started scanning bar codes on my vitamins. What a shocker. It added around 75 calories to my daily consumption. Dang. On days I don't work out, that can make all the difference. For example, today, if I don't count them, I'm under my calories for the day. But, if I do, I'm over by 55. Did you know, even taking two measley antacids (Gaviscon) for an upset tummy costs you like 10 calories?!? (I wonder how many of you are running off to scan your bottles now?)

Anyway, what do y'all think? Am I being too precise and anal retentive to be counting down to the calories in my vitamins and medicines? Or is it best to be this accurate? If that is all that puts you over for the day, do you worry about it or do extra exercise to burn it off? or skip them? Do YOU put in your vitamins and meds? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Replies

• LindaZ5
    LindaZ5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I count my fish oil in my calories with my breakfast each morning. It has 15 calories and 1.5 grams of fat so I log it.
  • amycb03
    amycb03 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think it's totally a personal call. I do not, only because I don't want to feel 'bad' or 'guilty' about meds/vitamins that my doctor has told me to take for my health. I really know that I shouldn't feel guilty or bad and that I should just add them to my diary because I've eaten them but I feel bad about the extra calories whether I want to or not so I just avoid it and don't add it to my daily total. I figure that I park in the furthest parking spot from work, the store, etc and I take every stair possible and walk to offices instead of sending emails or picking up the phone so those extra bits should cover my vitamins for the day and make it a wash on calories and then I avoid the "guilt"...:)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I think you should count everything.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    mine are zero calories, but I still count them (helps me remember to take them :laugh: )
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't bother about logging vitamins, though I know they do have a few calories.
    I just work on the theory that the things that I underestimate probably balance out the things that I overestimate.
    Really though, I'm just too lazy!
  • dhanisk
    dhanisk Posts: 29
    Options
    I include my fish oil since it contains 15 calories and at least 1 g fat.
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I include my vitamin, but not so sure if they have calories...... I'll have to scan tomorrow to check.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I count 99.9% of what I put in my mouth every single day. :-)

Erica
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No, but I also don't log every variation in my activity. Like I walked 15 minutes to the store to buy lunch today, didn't log it.