when was your first cheat day?

How did you decide on your first cheat day? Did you plan it? Did you feel crazy and needed a break? Tell your story!

Replies

• BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    I waited a full month, my first treat day was on July 4th, I didnt go super crazy, kept my portions to recommended sizes, had a lot of variety, including chips & icecream, and logged everything I ate. Now, we have one treat day a week, staying under 2000 cals,
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    that sounds very much like what I was planning.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    my first month i decided sundays would be my cheat days, if i really wanted it i would have to wait til sunday, it helped me by not giving into every craving i had. now that ive learned a little self control i dont have a set cheat day, if i crave something and i've worked hard enough, i will have it and make sure it fits into my calories or macros. if it doesnt, i try not to freak out, everyone has day where they kinda blow it. i find they keep me fairly sane though.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don't have cheat days ..... If anything it's the reverse my eating gets cleaner and cleaner.
  • firedancer8780
    firedancer8780 Posts: 338 Member
    I've had cheat days here and there, but I always make sure I exercise enough to stay under my calories for the day. I've had only 1 day in 3 1/2 months (since I started MFP) where I went over my calories. It was my birthday. I still logged everything for the day, but didn't exercise to make up for it. I made healthy choices still, but splurged some too. I figured I deserved to enjoy my birthday and not worry about it!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    I have made Sundays my cheat day since I started because we have a big family dinner (often at buffets) on Sundays. I try to make good choices, but sometimes I lose my willpower and make less than healthy choices. I usually try to do an extra workout to help balance it out though. =)
  • coops9999
    coops9999 Posts: 11 Member
    Mine was today :-)

Started working out again 2 weeks ago and started MFP last week.... lost 5 pounds last week but realized after my cycle class yesterday that I am working out too much (15 out of the last 16 days) and not taking in enough calories (really struggling to eat enough in a day with the exercise) so I decided to skip the gym today and go to Church's Chicken for lunch!

Enjoyed it, but I am looking forward to getting 'back to work' tomorrow...... I was surprised as it wasn't as satisfying as I thought it would be.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    my first month i decided sundays would be my cheat days, if i really wanted it i would have to wait til sunday, it helped me by not giving into every craving i had. now that ive learned a little self control i dont have a set cheat day, if i crave something and i've worked hard enough, i will have it and make sure it fits into my calories or macros. if it doesnt, i try not to freak out, everyone has day where they kinda blow it. i find they keep me fairly sane though.
    ^^^^^ Love this!! Gonna try that :) I think it would help me too. Thanks for sharing
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I don't cheat. If I did I would be cheating myself. I had an 'eat at maint. cals' day every few weeks, but the farther I got into my program, the less I wanted to do that.

Plus, if I ate something really bad for me, it made me sick:sick:

Anyway, I guess the word cheat makes it sound like it is bad, and I don't want to feel bad any more:flowerforyou:
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    It is nice to see how different people think about the cheat days...some of ya are oppossed, some live for it, some just call it something else.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    What are these cheat days you speak of??? I eat the same every day... infact I just had ice cream with chocolate sauce and melted peanut butter on it, 2 popsicles, some spaghetti, and some 7 layer salad... and that was just for dinner.

if you eat everything in moderation there is no need for cheat days.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    I've been at this for a while so I don't remember my first "cheat" day. I have; however, decided to do away with cheat days. I am doing this by counting calories by the week rather than the day. Yesterday I was a few hundred under; today I was a few hundred over. I'm okay with going over as long as I'm not over my total amount for the week. I've heard that varying your calories is a good way to avoid/break a plateau. I thought that I would try it for a month and see what happens.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    My very first day on MFP (April 10, 2011), I had a handful jellybeans, a dish of raspberry dark-chocolate premium ice cream, half a can of full-sugar grape soda, and chicken divan made with heavy cream and full-fat gruyere cheese. To be fair, I also had plain oatmeal, cherries, a big green salad, broccoli, and grilled chicken breast) My whole day came in just over 1600 calories. It was also probably one of the lowest calorie days I ever had on MFP.

From the very beginning of this process, I decided I wasn't going to "diet". I was going to stop labeling food and good or bad. I ate whatever I wanted, but kept an eye on portion sizes and overall calories. I had no problem meeting my goal of losing 50 pounds (and then losing 13 extra pounds on top of that).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't believe that eating food I enjoy is "cheating". You can lose weight and eat food you like - it doesn't have to be one or the other. :smile: