Tips to switch to AM workout??

Options
So, I currently work out in the afternoons/evening. I have never been a morning person. I like to take showers at night and I hate to get up any earlier than absolutely necessary. I have tried several times to switch to an AM workout but I make myself do it since I need to be awake 30-60 mins before working out.

But, I would like to try again. It has been over 95 daily since May and the coolest we can get our house is about 75. Even my basement is warm! I walk to and from work and by the time I walk home, I'm already hot and sticky and don't want to workout on top of it. Plus, my job is going through a transition so it's a bit stressful at the moment and I just have no motivation when I get home.

We have a few 5k runs coming up and I would like to run daily before working out as I have been doing. All summer I was able to run before it got to the "peak temperatures". I'm tired of running on the treadmill and its too hot to run outside.

My husband gets up at 4:45am and leaves at 5. I just can't quite stay convince myself to get up and stay up when he leaves. Usually I go back to bed until 7. He works splits so he can still go to bed late and get up early then sleep for a few hours in between shifts. I, on the other hand, don't get a nap. I could go back to sleep for an hour but that almost seems pointless.

I know I'm a bit grumpy with the job situation and I will continue to work out in the PM if I can't make them AM work but I would REALLY like to try, at least until either the runs are over or it cools off a bit.

Is anyone like me in this regard? What are some tips you used to switch to an AM workout when you really just aren't a morning person.

Replies

• brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I used to be more of a morning person but mornings have fallen out of my good graces. I have 2 big black dogs and they need to be walked every day. I want to take them on a nice long walk but when it's 85+ they get overheated too easily so it kinda gives me the motivation to get up and get moving at 4:50. I need time to walk, watch the news, shower & get out the door by 7:20. I have a friend who joined a boot camp exercise group that meets at 5:30 am. Maybe having a buddy to meet up with to exercise with would help? Someone or something to make you accountable? If you're really sadistic maybe your husband could douse you with a glass of cold water to get you up & moving?
  • suemar74
    suemar74 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm getting up at 4:30am to get my run in before work because I'll be too busy after work. While I know I love the way it feels knowing my workout is done for the day, no matter what that day may throw at me, my lazy side will try to talk my motivated side back into bed the whole time I'm getting dressed.

I usually have to drown my lazy side out with a shot of coffee, and then just get out and go. Once I'm out, it's on.

Six months ago, the lazy side would have won. But I'm finding out the motivated side wants it more these days. That's the side that (usually) wins.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I used to be more of a morning person but mornings have fallen out of my good graces. I have 2 big black dogs and they need to be walked every day. I want to take them on a nice long walk but when it's 85+ they get overheated too easily so it kinda gives me the motivation to get up and get moving at 4:50. I need time to walk, watch the news, shower & get out the door by 7:20. I have a friend who joined a boot camp exercise group that meets at 5:30 am. Maybe having a buddy to meet up with to exercise with would help? Someone or something to make you accountable? If you're really sadistic maybe your husband could douse you with a glass of cold water to get you up & moving?

He would totally do that! Hopefully he doesn't look over my shoulder before I finish typing! I live in the middle of nowhere (less than 600 people) and the people that would walk, live 17 miles away in the next town and I don't think that they would come in early to walk and go home and change. I've mentioned walking to some and none are interested...even the one that was interested and lives 2 houses away, always has an excuse.
  • mrsmark2010
    Options
    Getting up early sucks, but knowing that you are done before you have coffee/go to work, is GREAT! I know that my workout is done before most people's day has started. If you are feeling it, you can even throw in an after work workout in too. I wake up early on the weekends and get it done early then too. it becomes habit after a while.
  • miztae
    miztae Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried waking up early myself to do a workout but i feel just like you do..it's hard! i need and want that extra sleep..when i do force myself to get up and workout i feel great the rest of the day..Love the feeling but it's like i would rather have my extra sleep lol..

I guess we both will have to get someone to force us up and make sure we at least do 10-15min just to say we did something
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

He would totally do that! Hopefully he doesn't look over my shoulder before I finish typing! I live in the middle of nowhere (less than 600 people) and the people that would walk, live 17 miles away in the next town and I don't think that they would come in early to walk and go home and change. I've mentioned walking to some and none are interested...even the one that was interested and lives 2 houses away, always has an excuse.

Then you need to be your own inspiration! It took me a while to convince myself that getting up so early was a good idea. I'd lay in bed trying to convince myself that I would walk AFTER work. I don't know what finally made it click but up until this week of vacation, I've been getting up and doing a 3 mile with my "beasties" at least 6 days a week before anything else, including coffee. I think it sucked more to realize I don't have the same calorie burn at 40 that I did at 25. I just needed to stop bull****ting myself and get moving.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Total night owl. There is no way, barring a major event affecting the earth's axis, that I'd wake up early to work out. I hardly know where my face is before 9 am.

That said, there are alarm clocks that have a 'dawn simulating' function that have helped me get up for just regular life. I know Phillips makes good ones, but there are other brands. (You could also sleep with your blinds open, if you can manage.)

Or you could put several alarm clocks around the room, and set them to go off in 4 minute increments (6 is too long, I find). The reason for a bunch of different clocks is to freak out your ears, so you don't get used to one tone.

Final awesome gadget: programmable coffee maker, kept next to bed. The smell of coffee helps me a lot.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I like to take my cloths out the night before so they are waiting for me when I wake up... I feel bad wasting my time and energy taking them out and not using them so I feel compelled to work out hahaha
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback! All are great ideas! I have a kureg coffee maker, which, unfortunately doesn't have an automatic function but not having to wait, definitely a plus! We have two alarm clocks around the room but usually only one is set...maybe we'll have to go for 2. Right now, the windows/blinds are open because it gets cooler at night then the AC can make it so the windows are open with fans going so it does get light in the room early. Clothes are already out the night before but I just give them a dirty look...hahahah

On the weekends, I love to get up and get it over with as soon as possible but I just can't apply the same motivation to work days. I need a reward or treat for getting up early...I guess that's one of my problems...

I have motivation for working out and have been on average 4-5 days a week since I started (even twice a day sometimes) but I cannot apply the motivation to the morning.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks,

I did my first AM workout today. I'll see about tomorrow. I hope to do it for ever. Lets hope