Lots of exercise means more food

Ok, so I got myself on track as far as eating the net 1200. But I am still struggling sometimes with it. I am having too many calories left still late in the day. Should I make myself eat even more, or cut back on the exercise, which I really don't want to do. I am starting to get used to exercise and don't want to lose the rhythm.
I don't want to keep having the same problem of not eating enough.
So I am a little stumped.

Replies

• carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    I'm having the same problem. I've been trying to add more snacks during the day and increasing the calories consumed at breakfast/lunch but today I came home from my workout and had 900 calories to eat before 9 p.m.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    *bump*
  • Are you eating five small meals a day? This could play a big part in getting your full calories in. I find that if I don't eat all five meals on work out days, it becomes harder for me to get all my calories in.

Erica
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Yea that's what I mean. And I ate lots of calories during the day already.

Breakfast
    Snack
    Lunch
    Snack
    Dinner
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Dunno. I eat the same basic range of calories every day. Perhaps a tad more if I feel super hungry, but pretty much the same range every day.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    I'm confused. Your diary shows you ate around 1700 calories today...

1. Listen to your body. If you're hungry - eat. If not, then you're probably fine. But if you're not losing weight, you could be putting yourself in starvation mode (and if you're exercising and not eating more than 1200 calories that is very likely).
    2. If you need to get calories try more calorie dense foods such as nut butters, avocado, etc.

Hope that helps.
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    How about a protein shake with your meals? That would easily add 600-900 calories depending on which protein you use and what you mix it with.
  • what i do is eat nuts! lol almonds, pistachios, etc. 160 cals per serving size usually.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Its because you set yourself up for failure with the 1200 calorie diet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-adiI6jYToREy6sndTeG3GfwCAaaxQMzD5q8tj6pc6WVqIRIr&t=1
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Peanut butter, avocado, pasta, bread, protein shakes, bars, etc. are all pretty calorie dense and healthy.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    I have a similar problem. I have a really hard time adding calories without adding sugars!
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    what i do is eat nuts! lol almonds, pistachios, etc. 160 cals per serving size usually.

Nuts are the easiest, healthiest way to add calories--unsalted.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Please read this-http://www.7layerliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/feastorfamine.pdf

prolonged low calorie diets can stall your weight loss for LONG LONG Time-atleast eat your BMR calories everyday(although netting BMR is ideal).1200 is also low,leave alone anything below that.Train your body to work on the consumed calories-not of the saved fat-if you do the latter-body will store fat increasingly and weight loss that you see will be largely out of muscle.

Initially you will feel full,start with fruits,nut butters and calorie dense healthy foods to get more calories in and work your way up.
  • I was having the same problem for a while but then a friend suggested I eat peanut butter. I believe 2 tbsp is 210 calories. If you dont want to eat that much peanut butter, sometimes I eat 1tbsp of peanut butter (105 cal) on a piece of whole wheat toast ( 110 cal) with half a banana (53 calories) that equals 268 calories....not to mention tastes very yummy. And if you still need more, do what I do....eat the other half of the banana too!
  • scheatwood
    scheatwood Posts: 207 Member
    Most people say eat back all but 200 of your exercises calories..... so I allow myself to eat up to 1800 calories a day, knowing I burned between 400-800 at the gym.
  • SV17GT
    SV17GT Posts: 16 Member
    The doc told me as long as I got at least 1200 caloriesin a daynot to worry about what I burn up during the day. between it all I burn up between 800-950 calories 5 to 6 days a week. I'm always a little hungry (ok a lot ) but I can live with it. I shoot for around 1400 calories a day. It sure seems dumb though when I have to eat more, just to make the numbers seem right
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Eat or drink calorie dense foods, it's really not hard. Drink full fat milk. Eat whole eggs. Eat any nuts or nut butters. Cook food in olive oil or peanut oil or something. It's so easy to add calories. Protein shakes, especially the weight gainer types. You can pack a lot of calories in a small meal so easily.
  • MJH5773
    MJH5773 Posts: 70
    I've had a question about this subject and just hadn't gotten around to asking about it yet. Does anyone find it hard to eat your exerciae calories away while still paying attention to your levels? I enjoy being able to eat more but its hard for me to still keep the sodium, potassium, protein, and all of the other levels in check.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    My MFP friends that are consistently losing 2/3#s a week, eat about 1400 calories a day and don't count their 500 plus exercise calories. I count half my exercise calories and am losing about 1.5#s per week, even though my diary is set to lose 2#s per week. However, I don't measure or weigh my food much.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    I think maybe the more dense foods and protein shakes will help, although I am not really into protein shakes.
    It is my net calories, where I am not meeting my 1200.
    Yesterday I had 1700 in calories, however my net was in the 900.
    My other goals I seem to be okay with, just those darn calories.