Gym first thing in the morning without food?

Options
Is it ok to go to the gym first thing in the morning without eating before hand? I don't want to wake up any earlier to be able to eat and allow time for it to digest so I don't get a stitch, but will it mean i'm burning more muscle than fat or anything like that?

Replies

• ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    You can always grab a protein bar or shake before hand if you want something quick. I have to do something like that just to keep my blood sugar up since I am hypoglycemic.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It depends what you do...either cardio or weights...
    I do both...I have been concentrating on fat loss, and it seems to be working.
    I'm gaining muscle, but at a ridiculously slow rate.

If you want to do cardio, It think it will work well...all the food is gone from your stomach, so the body will get energy for cardio from your fat, and burn it off....I think.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My trainer would yell at me when I did this.. I would almost pass out. Grab a banana or a protein bar, or a gel pack or something. It's not healthy and can be unsafe if you are prone to dizziness (like I am)
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I always do my first workout fasted, at 11:30 am, so I don't start to eat until 12:30-1:00 pm. I have not noticed any lack of energy or difference from before when I used to eat breakfast a couple hours before. I just always feel better working out without anything in my stomach. And since I can't get to the gym before 11:30 because of work, it's my only option.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    depends on how you feel i think. if you feel fine and don't get too weak then i don't think you haave to eat. but if you want to be safe you could take a snack with you in case you get weak.
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just try it and see if it works for you. I do this and it works for me, but most of the time I do not at all feel like eating before lunchtime anyway. I think each to their own. There are so many theories about what you would burn, there is one specifically aimed at lifting weights while fasted called "eat stop eat" or generally a concept call intermitent fasting. There is also that one study that looked at whether eating breakfast helps maintain a healthy BMI.

Do what feels good for you. I am generally lifting fasted now that I have started lifting again and always do 1.5hrs yoga on sat and sun fasted prior to breakfasting or having coffee. This is what works for me.
  • gradrun
    gradrun Posts: 69
    Options
    I've heard that working first thing in the morning, especially if you do cardio, burns more fat than working out after having eaten. I have also heard that it doesn't allow you to work out at the same intensity you probably could had you eaten something beforehand.

Personally, I always eat something, even if it is half banana, or a piece of bread with jam (simple carbs and sugars - easier to digest and they get absorbed faster) just because if I try to do anything on an empty stomach, I get dizzy and faint-y and generally cannot work out at all. But a lot of my runner friends run first thing in the morning without having had breakfast before, if it is for a short run (30-40 min) duration.

Apparently, there is no clear answer. I would say do whatever makes you feel better and allows you to work out. :-)
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Is it ok to go to the gym first thing in the morning without eating before hand? I don't want to wake up any earlier to be able to eat and allow time for it to digest so I don't get a stitch, but will it mean i'm burning more muscle than fat or anything like that?

You could try it. But after a fasting (you burned everything in your body overnight), then you'd be better off doing a morning stretch, having a light breakfast, then going out for a jog.
  • Mrbusterb
    Mrbusterb Posts: 114
    Options
    When i go in the morning i usually don't eat anything
  • Minu135
    Minu135 Posts: 48
    Options
    I've been doing this, I never feel like eating first thing in the morning and I don't like exercising with a full stomach. I usually just drink a glass of water and do either cardio or weights. I think it depends on the person.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    You should always have something first. I used to work at a gym and people would pass out all the time because they don't eat and then think they can work out. Your body needs fuel.
  • JMPerlin
    JMPerlin Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    For me heck yea! I cannot workout on a full stomach and I love the first thing in the morning workout. When I am done its a protein shake and some fruit and I am good to go!
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Cardio = empty tummy

Lifting = must eat.

Lift first then cardio
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,243 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted regularly with no problem both cardio and lifting type workouts. Meal timing is irrelevant as long as you get all the food you need for the day eating all your calories and ideally meeting your macros.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Go without eating. I do it all the time. If you find your workouts are suffering, have 2 tbl of honey before you walk out the door.
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I never eat before working out and I meet with a trainer at 5:15 in the morning. And sometimes, like this week I work all night before going. I used to have a protein shake before (tmi warning) but they made me puke afterwards. Like others have said, what is your body telling you during the workout when you skip, do you feel like you are strong till the end?
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how intense/long your workout is and if it's cardio, weights or both. Everyone's different, but you may want to eat a banana or apple with 1 tablespoon of natural peanut butter. Quick, healthy, and easy.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    I work out fasted regularly with no problem both cardio and lifting type workouts. Meal timing is irrelevant as long as you get all the food you need for the day eating all your calories and ideally meeting your macros.

^^ this
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine working out after eating. I think people that do that are crazy. I can only workout on an empty stomache or I get sick and want to puke.
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I have been working out in the morning on a cup of coffee only for 20 years. I have never passed out or felt weak. At the moment I am doing weights then cardio 3 x week and pure cardio 3 x week. I have even trained for marathons using this method.

If it works for you then there is nothing wrong with it.

Donna