Fat Consuption

Options
According to my diary I am eating alot less fat then what MFP recommends. Today for example I've got 7grams when it says I should be eating around 40gr. Other days it can be 20gr but never near 40.

Its not intentional, I'm not a 'low fat' person per se. I eat alot of fresh vegetables, fruit, lean protein, low fat milk (to avoid the cholesterol and lower calories).

My weight has remained stagnant for months now even though i stick to 1200 cal a day. Could this be why?

Thanks!

Replies

• smokinjackd
    Options
    Quite honestly unless you open your diary there isn't enough information here to even hazard a guess.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Have made my diary public.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    There are many different reason you could be stuck right now. Fat intake alone won't be one of them though.

I would definitely recommend getting more fat into your diet. Have you been diagnosed with high cholesterol? Is there a medical reason you're avoiding dietary cholesterol?

With regards to the reason you're stuck, it's difficult to tell right now. Looking through your diary I only see 2 days when you've logged recently. How long have you been at 1200? It might be a calorie issue but without a log or knowing your height and current weight it's difficult to even ballpark the problem. Would you be willing to post that info?
  • manda1978
    Options
    I missed abouyt 5 days from mid last week till Monday, but if you go back further than that there's more entries.

No I don't have high cholesterol, just the opposite. I don't deliberatley avoid fat, I just eat alot of salad, vegies, fruit etc.

I realised that some of the foods I've been adding only haev calories and not the fat breakdown so that's probably why it appears low.

I exercise 3-4 times a week (well I try to, its flu season here and my family keep getting sick) and I've been stuck at this weight for months. I only have a kilo or 2 left to lose.

Height - around 170cm or 5ft7. Weight.... would rather not say but my BMI is 21.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    Ah! Okay, I didn't look back far enough. Would you be willing to post your age, height and current weight?
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Just went back a month, your fat consumption is just fine. Your diet looks healthy, I have noticed you haven't logged any exercise recently, and as you stated have missed some days. Has you activity level dropped by any chance? And if you only have 2.2 pounds to lose it kinda means you are already there. You more than likely just need to tone now. Are you lifting weights? Maybe try increasing the intensity of your workouts for a couple of weeks and see if that has any effect.
  • theartichoke
    Options
    You're so close to goal weight. Congratulations! Please take a few minutes to read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I hope it helps shed some light on things. It did for me and many others.

Jeanine
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason that you are avoiding eating fat? ...
  • manda1978
    Options
    My family has been sick hence why I haven't been able to exercise much in the last couple of weeks. I try to run 3 times a week and do a circuit training class once a week. I have some kettlebells at home that I really should try to use.

I know I'm 'almost' there but still no reason to give up as 'near enough is good enough'. I've set myself a goal and want to achieve it.

No not avoiding eating fat (as per the reasons I"ve posted previously).
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question because many people tend to be confused on MFP's goal calories of 1200. Are you eating a gross of 1200 calories a day or netting 1200 when you subtract exercise calories from gross calories consumed? The way MFP is set, is you choose how much weight you wish to lose and it will automatically create a deficit solely from caloric intake (eating food) - it does not include exercise calories which is why when you add exercise, your goal increases. For instance, if you choose 1 lb of weight loss per week, it will institute a sum deficit of 500 calories from dietary intake.
  • manda1978
    Options
    On the days I don't exercise I eat 1200 or less.

On the days I do exercise I eat 1200 plus some of my exercise calories. Say I burnt 400cal, I'd eat maybe 50 - 150 extra.

I'm new to MFP so if I'm doing it wrong please let me know. I know with other plans (the Michelle Bridges 12WBT is huge in Australia. She's a trainer on Biggest Loser) its 1200 a day and burn off 500 and no eating any exercise calories. So I'm a bit confused.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options

No I don't have high cholesterol, just the opposite. I don't deliberately avoid fat, I just eat alot of salad, vegies, fruit etc.

Put some olive oil on your salads. The oils act as a carrier for the nutrients in your greens, otherwise your body is missing out on some good nutrition. It's kind of the same idea as calcium and vitamin D, one won't work without the other.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    There are many different reason you could be stuck right now. Fat intake alone won't be one of them though.

If dietary fat is too low, your body will store carbohydrates as fat. This is denovo lipogenesis. You want to make sure you are getting at least 10% daily calories from fats (you can cycle this up/down but no long periods of low fat intake).

Fat is not bad! If you are running a caloric deficit it doesn't matter what macronutrients you eat - you will burn stored fat.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ok, although you do not want to disclose your weight I know it's around 135 lbs if that is your BMI at 5'7". With only 4 lbs or so to lose, you need not implement such a drastic deficit. The leaner you are to start with, and the leaner you get, the less true fat you actually burn. People on the biggest loser need to shed 100s of lbs, thus they can realistically burn 6-8 lbs of true fat per week. However, women at average or near average weight can only expect 2 lbs of true fat loss per month. In other words, you can set your deficit unnecessarily low and not get any greater results from it.

Most women your height will have a TDEE of 2000-2300 depending on activity level. So 1200 is a rather hefty deficit from food - 800 to potentially 1100 from calorie restriction. Add in 400 calories of exercise and you'll deepening the deficit even greater - which again, isn't going to help you lose body fat any faster at your build and starting body composition (in fact, it can actually lead to an even greater depressed Resting Metabolic rate, amenorrhea, hair loss, lowered leptin function and disruption of LH pulsatility and ovarian function).
  • theartichoke
    Options

If dietary fat is too low, your body will store carbohydrates as fat. This is denovo lipogenesis. You want to make sure you are getting at least 10% daily calories from fats (you can cycle this up/down but no long periods of low fat intake).

Fat is not bad! If you are running a caloric deficit it doesn't matter what macronutrients you eat - you will burn stored fat.

I don't know anything about DNL when calories meet or exceed TEE but in a deficit this process is so insignificant as to be irrelevant.

http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/6/707.full

and

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10365981
  • manda1978
    Options
    Ok, although you do not want to disclose your weight I know it's around 135 lbs if that is your BMI at 5'7". With only 4 lbs or so to lose, you need not implement such a drastic deficit. The leaner you are to start with, and the leaner you get, the less true fat you actually burn. People on the biggest loser need to shed 100s of lbs, thus they can realistically burn 6-8 lbs of true fat per week. However, women at average or near average weight can only expect 2 lbs of true fat loss per month. In other words, you can set your deficit unnecessarily low and not get any greater results from it.

Most women your height will have a TDEE of 2000-2300 depending on activity level. So 1200 is a rather hefty deficit from food - 800 to potentially 1100 from calorie restriction. Add in 400 calories of exercise and you'll deepening the deficit even greater - which again, isn't going to help you lose body fat any faster at your build and starting body composition (in fact, it can actually lead to an even greater depressed Resting Metabolic rate, amenorrhea, hair loss, lowered leptin function and disruption of LH pulsatility and ovarian function).

Thank you. I suspected this was the issue. I'm always hungry and feel I can't exercise to my potential as I'm not fueling myself enough.

Under 135lbs, but you're not far off lol.