Low carb/ hair loss link?

Options
Sam3622
Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
This is a little disappointing for me, but i've found that since lowering my carbs a considerable amount i have also experienced hair loss. This has really upset me because i take huge pride in my hair and i would do whatever i could to keep it as thick as possible. I have taken biotin supplements in the past but found that they didn't make too much difference. I have just ordered some pre-natal vitamins as i have heard they work wonders on hair.

I am also going to up my carb intake for a while and see if it makes a difference.

If anyone has any other recommendations/success stories it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Sam3622
    Options
    Bump...
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!

I cut carbs about 6 weeks ago and have also noticed a huge amount of hair loss. My hair is extremely thick but baby fine silk, it's stick straight and gorgeous all the way to my waist. Im noticing that when I brush my hair out before I shower I have to clean the hair brush of hair...........but then when I get done in the shower and washing my hair when I brush it out the hair brush is FULL again. I spoke to my doc and dietician and both assure me it will stop and I wont go bald. I HATE IT. Of course like you I worry. Im also sick to freakin death of finding MY hair in everything or on everything.

Low carbs but not carb free seems to be the deciding factor for some reason. Please let me know if you find a solution
  • Sam3622
    Options
    WOW!!!

I cut carbs about 6 weeks ago and have also noticed a huge amount of hair loss. My hair is extremely thick but baby fine silk, it's stick straight and gorgeous all the way to my waist. Im noticing that when I brush my hair out before I shower I have to clean the hair brush of hair...........but then when I get done in the shower and washing my hair when I brush it out the hair brush is FULL again. I spoke to my doc and dietician and both assure me it will stop and I wont go bald. I HATE IT. Of course like you I worry. Im also sick to freakin death of finding MY hair in everything or on everything.

Low carbs but not carb free seems to be the deciding factor for some reason. Please let me know if you find a solution

Ahh ok. So have you upped your carbs now? Let me know how you get on!x
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    This is a little disappointing for me, but i've found that since lowering my carbs a considerable amount i have also experienced hair loss.

I experienced hair loss with a very high carb intake.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I experienced hair loss at first. Some in the tub and comb, but now it seems more bushy and it seems to grow a lot faster. I'm on low carb.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    After six weeks of lowER carb diet (<100) my hair is thicker (was already thick) and my nails are growing out of control and I am having to constantly clip them (computer work), and my face has less breakouts. Don't remember if I had negative effects in the beginning of the six weeks because my bigger problem was the "carb flu" and I was concentrating on getting beyond that. Hopefully it will even out for you. Do you take a multivitamin? I find that helps too.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I havent upped my carbs at all but seem to be adjusting. I too notice my already really long nails growing wild fast. My hair is pretty super thick but because its so silky and baby fine it doesnt appear thick til you go to put it up.......then its everywhere. I know my complexion is better and clearer. Something else I noticed when I started going less carb is my hair seems to get greasy looking real fast. Ive always been one to wash and condition my hair every day, especially when it was spike short 5 short years ago but NOW I wash it in the morning, it takes til mid afternoon before its dry and by 8 pm it looks like I havent washed it in days. Im curious if there's a link
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps - but I have just been looking up deficiencies and foods rich in certain nutrients (for me because my nails are weak) and noticed that zinc deficiency is linked to hair loss so thought I would post it up in case it helps!
  • Sam3622
    Options
    I don't know if this helps - but I have just been looking up deficiencies and foods rich in certain nutrients (for me because my nails are weak) and noticed that zinc deficiency is linked to hair loss so thought I would post it up in case it helps!

Thank you!
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you and the hair loss. Normally, after about 6-8 weeks my hair stops falling out, but I'm going on 12 weeks and it's getting scary. My hair is noticable thin. I talk to doc and she said stop putting it in a pony tail. Really?!! I don't think a ponytail 45 minutes out of my day will cause my hair to fall out all day long. After a shampoo it's pretty scary in the hair catcher. Then I'll comb into place another handful of hair.

Wondering if I take my vitamins more regularly if it will help? My diet is pretty well balanced. I eat a lot less simple carbs, but I still have complex carbs in my day.