Ahhh, how do you do it???

Options
So, I decided to up my calories to see if my body will respond better.

For months, I was eating anywhere from 1550-1650 calories and would lose really well, averaging 3 lbs a week. Around the beginning of the year, I lowered my calories to around 1400-1450 and my loss slowed to 1-2 lbs a week (mostly 2)..

So, I am experimenting and raising my calories back up to 1600 (which is closer to my BMR right now), to see if my weight loss responds favorably.

Now, my problem is....I have calculated all my food for the day, including dinner yet to be eaten and dessert and my calories have come up to 1519. I am having a hard time eating MORE, when I have been so used to eating around 1400. I don't want the scale to have an even lower loss but I am figuring it is worth it to see what happens and I have heard people say that they had more success when eating more.

I guess I am just trying to get over the worry of the scale reacting unfavorably when I have been doing SO well for months now.

Any advice????

Thanks!
Tami

Replies

• TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    So, I decided to up my calories to see if my body will respond better.

For months, I was eating anywhere from 1550-1650 calories and would lose really well, averaging 3 lbs a week. Around the beginning of the year, I lowered my calories to around 1400-1450 and my loss slowed to 1-2 lbs a week (mostly 2)..

So, I am experimenting and raising my calories back up to 1600 (which is closer to my BMR right now), to see if my weight loss responds favorably.

Now, my problem is....I have calculated all my food for the day, including dinner yet to be eaten and dessert and my calories have come up to 1519. I am having a hard time eating MORE, when I have been so used to eating around 1400. I don't want the scale to have an even lower loss but I am figuring it is worth it to see what happens and I have heard people say that they had more success when eating more.

I guess I am just trying to get over the worry of the scale reacting unfavorably when I have been doing SO well for months now.

Any advice????

Thanks!
    Tami
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you're talking about what I call "the fear" (of eating more and gaining) or how to eat more calories, so I'll answer both.

When I first started adding calories, it was really hard. I was (I believe) officially in starvation mode after undereating for a long, long time. So, it was hard physically for me to eat. Here's a good trick: break a diet rule and drink some calories or eat a non-diet food. One of my favorites was switching back to real mayonnaise and salad dressing. Or, indulge in some higher calorie, yet still nutritious real foods. Nuts and avocados are my personal favorites.

"The fear" is harder. I took a month break from the scale when I started to up my calories. I promised myself I could get on it if my clothes started getting too tight. I had to make myself focus on my health first and my weight second.

Just my two cents. As you might know, I'm a big fan of eating at least your BMR.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely the fear..I dread seeing what the scale says after adding 200 more calories.

But, here I am, at 1519 calories (supposed to be going to 1600) and I just don't need anything else! I am having a great dinner of two Trader Joes turkey hot dogs on whole wheat buns, black bean soup AND broccoli.

Dessert is 2 packets of diet cocoa, 100 cal pack chips ahoy candy bites AND a 60 calorie sugar free pudding (LOVE the dulce de leche!!! LOL

I mean, I eat A LOT and just don't have room for any more. Is it a HUGE deal if I don't eat more? I don't think I was in starvation mode at 1400 calories. I still feel hunger, etc..I just eat a lot of foods that satisfy me.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I wouldn't sweat 81 calories :smile: You said you used to be between 1550 and 1650, so your only 30 away from the minimum - guess I would call it a day. Or maybe add a few carrots to dinner, or something like that. I say close enough :drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's definitely the fear..I dread seeing what the scale says after adding 200 more calories.

But, here I am, at 1519 calories (supposed to be going to 1600) and I just don't need anything else! I am having a great dinner of two Trader Joes turkey hot dogs on whole wheat buns, black bean soup AND broccoli.

Dessert is 2 packets of diet cocoa, 100 cal pack chips ahoy candy bites AND a 60 calorie sugar free pudding (LOVE the dulce de leche!!! LOL

I mean, I eat A LOT and just don't have room for any more. Is it a HUGE deal if I don't eat more? I don't think I was in starvation mode at 1400 calories. I still feel hunger, etc..I just eat a lot of foods that satisfy me.

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Maybe have one day where you intentionally go over (kind of way over) on your calories to sort of jump-start your system? That's worked for me in the past. Or, your body could just be catching up to the weight loss and re-adjusting itself. Sometimes it's best to just wait a bit and give it a chance to do that.:flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Thanks Viviakay and Montanagirl,

I appreciate you responding. I know this might seem like a silly "problem". Having to add food! It's just hard when I have been used to something for awhile now.

It could very well be that I have lost 65 lbs since Sept and my body is taking a breather. I guess if you call 2 lb losses a week a breather. (I know it's a good/safe loss, I just thought it ironic that right when I lowered my calories is when my losses slowed)

I am determined NOT to starve and take this off the slow and healthy way so that I can keep it off. I guess I am trying to get into the science part of my metabolism and learn what is best to give it a jump start.

Anyway, thanks again!
    Tami