running/problem with toenails falling off!

Options
13»

Replies

• doloresshepherd
    Options
    OMG I run 6 miles a day and my second toe nail is falling off. I seriously thought I was alone in this but amongst reading your post, I realized I wasn't! Have you went to the doctor at all about this issue? I am stressing because I will not sacrifice my running, I just hope I don't have a falling out because of this! Please let me know!
  • scottrobertfraser
    Options
    It looks like I am not alone either. I ran my first half marathon in September and my second toe nail went black. It looked like it was healing, but I can now see that it is brittle and will fall off. The good thing is learning how common this is and that I have had no pain, so I can keep on running and train for a full marathon in 2014.
  • Gingerpatchy
    Options
    I'm not a runner at all, but this happened to a friend of mine. She bought socks with the individual toes & that helped her with her toenail problem
  • tfolsom1
    Options
    I've had it happen to me. I went up a shoe size but that didn't help. It only happens when I run longer distances too. I think it's from pounding your're toe over and over in the same spot. And it feels like I put more pressure on my big toe, which is the one that fell off, on my left foot.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    ok, this is weird i know but before i go to the doctors over this i thought i would shout out to the boards...

i have been a long distant runner most all of my life but took 2 years off starting back again nov 2011 and am currently in training for race in oct 2012

since April of this year my two toes nails (next to my big toe, and only on the left side) keep coming off...like falling off...
    its not INSTANT or anything...but i can tell that when i start to increase my mileage/pace (as I am now) that these particular toes start hurting and the toenails will fall off! (this will be the second time since April!

the first time it happened i went and got fitted for shoes (which was in April ) and that seemed to help although they had just fallen off at that time so who really knows if it helped but my feet felt better LOL

I almost feel like maybe i am putting too my pressure with regard to my run on those two toes but that doesnt make sense or does it??? i am in a quandry and thought i would ask you all...

has anyone else had this happen?
    Happens to me all the time! It is rather common for long distance runners. It is caused by blisters under toes and being some what snug in the toe area. However, no matter what shoe i wear my toe nails, both the ones next to my big toes fall off.

This.

For me it seems to only happen on runs over 35km.