Eating below the MFP set calorie goal...

Options
Basically MFP set my daily calorie intake to 1700 calories/day, but i'm taking in about 1000/ day with the card-protein-fat matrix at almost 60-40-40)....i'm not complaining cos i'm not starving at any time of the day and am pretty content with my daily intake.
(My BMI is 24 and BMR at about 1700 cals/day)

Does eating fewer than the advised calorie limit (read 'fully satiated') mean you're going to :

- lose weight any faster
- fall sick soon
- gain weight soon / over time

....feel free to pitch in with your comments...

Replies

• MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Why would you reduce your calories with over 40% of the recommended number for you? A number which is based on how much weight you want to lose per week.

By eating a too low number you will slow down your weightloss now, and once you eat a healthy amount again you'll gain weight for the first few weeks. It's quite likely you'll lose just as much if you eat more, than eating only 1000 per day.

But hey, it's your body, if you want to do this, go ahead.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    You may lose weight faster. You may fall sick very soon. You may gain weight over time. Your macros add up to 140%. How does that work? You're a man. My comment is you need to eat more than 1000 cals a day. I'm losing on 1500 cals a day and I am an overweight woman. Good luck!
  • wheels5894
    wheels5894 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have this problem. I find I am under the 1200 Kcal limit I have set for losing 2lbs a week - sometime by quite a way. Given that the site 'tells one off' for under-eating I tend to resort to sandwich at bedtime to ''fillup'. MFP is certainly wedded to 1200Kcal minimum though I recall diets my wife used 35 years ago when 1000 Kcal was the recommended amount.

The others may well be right in the sense that eating a low amount 'can' encourage the body to reduce metabolism and thus make weight gain harder but I think this as a might rather than a will.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Eating consistently too few calories means that your body will get the fuel it needs elsewhere, by breaking down your lean muscle, which would lead to metabolism slow down. It all depends on how long and how far you are under your goal, but I would really recommend finding ways to get your calorie count up.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A man at, or near average weight can only expect to lose 4 lbs of true fat per month. What this means is if you set your deficit too low, it will not aid in speeding up true fat loss and will lead to further reduction in Resting Metabolic Rate as well as leptin levels. It will also make it even harder for you to return back to maintenance and increase the amount of fat gain during weight recovery.