Vegetarian Meals (lots of photos!)

Options

Replies

• mrshoneydew
    Options
    YUMMMMM! I'm vegetarian and I want to cook more dishes like this! I really love to cook but because I'm so busy, I seem to get stuck making a lot of the same things.

It sounds like you cook like I do. I call myself a recipe deviant. I don't use recipes half of the time and when I do, I change them. Your pictures are definitely inspiring to me!

Oh and if you ever get a blog going....I wanna know! :bigsmile:
  • shan1204
    shan1204 Posts: 36
    Options
    It all looks really delicious but I would be tempted to replace the 'vegetarian meat bits' with meatier style veg - aubergine for the vege meat sausage and perhaps oyster mushrooms for the vege turkey.
  • congrats... i m feeling hungry after seeing such lovely pics
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, wow you are an amazing cook! I'm coming to your house for dinner!!
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello from Scotland

These recipes are inspiring, you should give up the day job, send these pics into a cookbook publisher and you have yourself a new career. Put my name down for an advance copy
    X
  • GetBackSuzy
    GetBackSuzy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I love your photos and can't wait to try to copy some of your dishes. I have been stuck in a rut eating the same things lately. You have given me much needed inspiration. Thank you so much.
  • jenniferrhiannon
    Options
    Wow, I've just turned veggie 6 months ago, and it was fine when I wasn't trying to loose weight, but is so hard now! I really need some low cal veggie recipes!
  • mehani48
    mehani48 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you deliver?
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    These all look amazing! I am definitely not a vegetarian either but 100% happy to eat meals with no meat if I can find the inspiration for them and not end up with just a pile of cooked veg on a plate haha! Looking forward to you posting some more recipes. None in particular, just all of them :laugh:
  • SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Looking very healthy. Can you share recipes of some.
  • humidex8
    humidex8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    oh wow, these all look amazing! been a vegetarian for 21 years and never seen anything look so good!
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh wow... Can you move in and be my personal chef?!
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    These look amazing, I'd happily gatecrash your next dinner!
  • lanesilas
    Options
    these look fantastic - inspirational!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Wow...that looks delish. I hardly ever meat anymore so I will definitely look at these when time permits.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    LOL...I like the cat!

What kind of vegetarian sausage do you use? I am betting it is something that will be hard for me to find where I live. The choices are limited!

For the large sausage links I really like the Tofurky brand sausages. I'm actually able to find them at my local Tom Thumb (I'm in the Dallas, Texas area) but stores like Whole Foods tend to carry them a lot as well. For breakfast sausage I like the Morningstar Farms sausage patties (the regular kind, not the ones that specifically state "soy" on the front).

The next dish in line for a recipe request that I saw was the portobello mushroom "fries". These things are really delicious! I used this recipe, with the exception of the egg. Instead of egg I whipped up a bit of corn starch and water to dip the mushrooms in prior to coating with panko. If your mushrooms are cut thick you may need to up the baking time a bit. I believe I baked mine for 20-25 minutes.

Baked Portobello Mushroom "Fries"

http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2012/07/healthy-baked-portabella-mushrooms.html

2 large Portobello mushrooms - cut into 1/4" thick slices
    1/2 cup of Panko or breadcrumbs
    2-3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
    1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon of dried parsley or dried basil
    Salt and black pepper to taste
    1 large egg - beaten

2. Preheat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
    3. Set out two shallow bowls. In the first, beat the egg. And in the second bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, cayenne pepper (or red pepper flakes), garlic powder, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
    4. One by one, dip the Portobello slices into the beaten egg and coat well, then transfer to the breadcrumb mixture and coat well again.
    5. Lay the coated mushrooms on the lined baking pan and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly brown and crispy (flip the Portobello slices half way through the baking process).
  • helenzback
    helenzback Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I wish you were my best friend ;)

I'm not vegtarian but my partner is and I sometimes struggle for inspiration, some amazing ideas here. Thank you so very much for taking the time to post these.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post another small batch of photos. These are actually unique from the rest because I made them all in my rice cooker. For a while I was on a kick where I was trying to see how much use I could get out of that small appliance, haha.

It just so happens that I have the recipes for most of these things as well. It's important to note that rice cookers can vary quite a bit, so you'll need to experiment on the timing with the one you've got if you try this (especially with the pastas).

Not all of these dishes are light, but in most cases I've made low cal variations just as easily.

sliced polenta with tomato sauce (slicing part not done in the rice cooker obviously, haha)
    polenta.jpg

macaroni and cheese with steamed broccoli
    macaroni.jpg

"cleaning out the fridge" vegetable soup
    vegetablesoup.jpg

fusilli primavera w/ shaved parmesan
    primavera.jpg

banana cherry steel cut oats with pecans
    cherryoats.jpg

broccoli soup (very light and healthy soup)
    broccoli_soup.jpg
  • jenwalton
    jenwalton Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Gorgeous photos! I might actually steal some of these ideas - I'm also intrigued by a savory oatmeal...