resistance band ?

Options
i am doing the chalean extreme program. i am using resistance band instead of weight. i do it because of my kids. i am scared that i will drop the weight on them since they are all over the place. my question is will i see faster results with weight or resistance bands are just about the same. i have med and heavy resistance.

Replies

• cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    bump
  • Scoobees
    Scoobees Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've read that to our muscles, resistance is resistance, and that it doesn't make a difference. Anyone else?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Resistance is resistance, but not all resistance is the same resistance.

Muscles do not develop a consistent level of force. A muscle generates its most force at the beginning of a movement and progressively less force as it moves towards to end of a movement.

Resistance bands generate resistance in the exact opposite pattern--they provide the least amount of resistance at the beginning of the movement and progressively greater resistance as they are extended, or lengthened. This "opposite" resistance curve has some benefits in certain specific types of training, but it is not going to strengthen muscles the same way as a fixed weight or cable machine.

If you stretch the band tight enough so that it provides an optimum level of resistance at the beginning of the movement, you won't be able to complete the movement--it will be to heavy at the end.

This is not the say that resistance bands are bad or ineffective--but they are not going to give the same results as free weights or machines