My TDEE and my concern

Options
Someone help me figure this out. Apparently my TDEE is 1947. I am afraid that if I eat that much (even with exercise) I will not lose.. in fact I will gain for sure.. how does this work? I am trying to stay around 1200, but I do eat back my workout burns.. so I am closer to 1500 per day on workout days.I am ALWAYS hungry though and am wondering if I can sustain this? How accurate are these TDEE's?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Someone help me figure this out. Apparently my TDEE is 1947. I am afraid that if I eat that much (even with exercise) I will not lose.. in fact I will gain for sure.. how does this work? I am trying to stay around 1200, but I do eat back my workout burns.. so I am closer to 1500 per day on workout days.I am ALWAYS hungry though and am wondering if I can sustain this? How accurately are these TDEE's?

TDEE is the number for maintenance - if you eat at TDEE, you will maintain your current weight and you won't lose.

TDEE - 20% is the common deficit for moderate weight loss.

Are your sure this is your TDEE and not your BMR?
  • Werner1950
    Werner1950 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This place says - 1882
    http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.ca/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

This place - 1954
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

That's if I rate myself as sedentary, which is what I was before I started working out.

OK, if by eating at 20% below TDEE, I should be eating roughly 1550 per day.

ALthough I am exercising 5 days a week.. and then my TDEE shoots up to 2500

which would allow a daily intake of 2000 cal per day. That is huge..

Maybe I AM going t this too aggressively
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    1550 for a man sounds very low. I am a 5'4'' female and eat more than that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This place says - 1882
    http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.ca/p/weight-loss-calculators.html

This place - 1954
    http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

That's if I rate myself as sedentary, which is what I was before I started working out.

OK, if by eating at 20% below TDEE, I should be eating roughly 1550 per day.

ALthough I am exercising 5 days a week.. and then my TDEE shoots up to 2500

which would allow a daily intake of 2000 cal per day. That is huge..

Maybe I AM going t this too aggressively

2000 a day for a man sounds about right, but it is important to remember than online TDEE calculators can only give general averages based on the information entered. Your actual TDEE may vary. If you are worried, try 1800 for a few weeks and see how that works. If you are full and losing at a good rate, then stay there. If you are losing more than 1-2 lbs per week. Add another 100-200 lbs.

With each change, you need to give it a few weeks for your body to adjust.
  • lcallbaugh
    Options
    Check out these groups here on MFP: 'eat more 2 weigh less' and 'in place of a road map'
    They both do a great job of helping members with the TDEE issue. This will help you lose body fat while likely maintaining your current lean body mass.
    Please do not rely on 1200 cals, you will not make it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    He is trying to lose weight !
  • Anappy
    Anappy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am confused about all this weight loss calorie calculations.. I thought is was calories in vs. calories used. As long as calories used is more than calories taken in, you should lose weight... I understand the body compensates initially for lack of calories but at some point doesn't the body have to lose fat if you are consistently using more than you take in? Any thoughts????
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    If you're working out 3-5 days per week, you're not "sedentary". You'd be Moderately Active.
  • ladykaisa
    Options
    He is trying to lose weight !

So am I, and I eat 1700 a day for my TDEE - 20%
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Are you the gentleman in the photo? That sounds extremely low. My TDEE is around 2500 and I'm losing at around 2000 calories a day. Perhaps you ran the numbers incorrectly? Regardless, if you are lacking energy and starving, then you should probably eat more and drop the rate at which you wish to lose.
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    1200 is way too low. Try fat2fitradio.com to calculate your numbers. If you keep your activity level as sedentary then you should eat back your exercise calories. If you change your activity level to light or moderate, those extra calories are already in there for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Good for you, the OP isn't doing 600 calories/day of exercise.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I didn't start consistantly losing again until I started eating AT LEAST 2500 calories a day. My TDEE is 3500 and I figure I need to eat at least 2500 to keep losing. Anything less just isn't going to do it. At -20%, my TDEE is 2700. With my activity level, I often have to eat over 3000 calories a day. Still, with a cheat day along the way, and all those caloires, I've been consistantly losing each week. About a clip of 4-6lbs a month.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Read this and get your number

Helloitsdan explains everything

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I am confused about all this weight loss calorie calculations.. I thought is was calories in vs. calories used. As long as calories used is more than calories taken in, you should lose weight... I understand the body compensates initially for lack of calories but at some point doesn't the body have to lose fat if you are consistently using more than you take in? Any thoughts????

There are so many theories and ways of calculating, etc it can drive you crazy. I keep it simple an do the above. Calories in vs. calories out. I burn more than I eat and lose weight. I eat more or equal, I gain or stay the same. I eat to satisfy. I know that a lot of people think its stupid to eat back exercise calories but since MFP already calculates the calorie deficit you need to lose weight - I'm going to take advantage of those extra calories if I need them. I don't eat every single calorie back most days, but if I need to they are there. I do know if I don't eat some then I do start binging after a couple days - as though my body is telling me that I'm not giving it enough fuel.

I think its normal at the beginning of a diet to feel a little hungry at times but if you are hungry a lot of the time, you are not eating enough.
  • ladykaisa
    Options

Good for you, the OP isn't doing 600 calories/day of exercise.

He said in a post that he works out 5 days a week. That isn't sedentary for most TDEE calculators, that's Moderately active, which means that his TDEE - 20% would be higher then 1500. If he was doing nothing, a true sedentary, then 1500 is quite reasonable.

As Going4Lean posted, that link is a great resource. It also explains why OP would need to eat a much higher number with working out 5x/week.

EDIT: didn't say in original post, said it a few posts down explaining where he got his numbers from.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Mines 1490 for weight loss...

I'm also a male, and I seriously doubt I could eat more considering I've basically cut out any grains and legumes out my meals.

I meal for god sakes.

3 chicken breasts, taziki, onions and lettuce for supper.

Mince raisins and egg approx 250g in total for lunch

a plain 2 egg omellete/fritata egg bake or whatever with lamb babootie (again mince, raisins, egg) for breakfast.

approx 2 servings nuts for snacks.

Total is 1707c for food and apparently daily goal is 1811 because of my training I did but cannot eat more than have as full...

On Sundays I have to breakaway from my pattern and sometimes eat in excess of 3000 calories, because my long runs burn sometimes 3000 calories and more sometimes.... And trust me, you will find it hard to eat quality food that provides 3000 calories without being full before your finished... I ended up in negative calories this sunday because I couldn't eat more than I did I mean, basically was breakfast then dinner, because lunch I had on the run (corn dogs)

My suggestion, cut out breads, you do not need to but out much else if you only plan on weight loss really, but it helps... Breads aren't filling and neither are they nutritious....
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    OP, one thing you need to keep in mind when reading all these examples of what people eat is that most of them are much younger. Younger people naturally have a higher BMR and therefore a higher TDEE.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Here is what has worked for me...

Go to Scooby's Calculator http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Enter in your realistic workouts (light, moderate, heavy) and eat what they tell ya to :) Don't eat back your exercise calories because those have already been put into your cals

Don't be afraid to eat, you need to fuel your body. If you're seriously hungry, eat some protein and keep track of when you're hungry.