strength training help

Options
I have been on my journey for 18months now. i started with zumba & not much changing my diet.... skip to about 8 months ago, i really got myself in check. i eat better, and joined mfp early this yr. i started doing boot camp classes, cardio kick boxing &have lost over 50#... then added jillian michael dvd's (haven't kept up). then, i started to hear @ strength training.... someone pls help me! i just got a gym membership & loving the weights. i do mostly free weights- shouder press, curls, curls with leg lifts, deadlifts, rows. i am still pretty new to this. i'm trying to get a better routine when i'm there. i do cardio- treadmill, stride climber (??) & elliptical. i dont wanna cardio overload. im only @ 15# from my GW, give or take 5# when i see how i look then, but my belly isn't going as fast (if at all) as the rest of me. any workout routines/advice to give?
much appreciated:flowerforyou:

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Good job so far.

Moving forward, I'd recommend a good mix of cardio and weights. I'm not sure how much time you can devote to your workouts, but cardio 2 days a week and weights 3 days a week is always a good starting point. For your strength training, do some reading on compound lifts - squats, dead lifts, bench press, pull-ups are the 4 biggies. Focus your workouts around those lifts and go from there.

If you want something a little more spelled out, check out either the stronglifts or starting strength programs. They are pretty similar and great programs to get you going.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you go on to bodybuilding.com and look at Jamie Easton's workouts... they are a really good mix of cardio and strength training... there are others there too you might like...
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    i spend around 1hr- 1 1/2 in the am at the gym. i'd say 75% of it is doing cardio, especially since i'm new to the weights. not saying i don't need cardio, but for the results i want, i think i can @ least cut it down. i prob wouldn't do a day of just weights or just cardio, maybe not til i'm advanced, guess since i feel i have to do both. completely forgot @ squats & remembered lunges when i saw someone else doing them. i want to get myself a routine on paper & use that @ the gym.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Why wouldn't you do a day of cardio and a day of weights? It, more than likely, will be the most effective routine... something like:

Mon/Wed/Fri: strength training - squats, bench press, rows
    Tues/Thurs: cardio of your choice
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's awesome. There's also a group on MFP you can join for support, questions, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    Check out the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's awesome. There's also a group on MFP you can join for support, questions, etc. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

thanks!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    It's always GREAT to see a female lifting - and doing compound lifts too - excellent!!!
    If you want something a little more spelled out, check out either the stronglifts or starting strength programs. They are pretty similar and great programs to get you going.

The above are great suggestions. Mark Rippetoe also has a book called Starting Strength that I would HIGHLY recommend. It's basically a very thorough book on form for compound lifts - which is crucial to know, especially if you start adding weight to the bar (which you should be doing).
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    It's always GREAT to see a female lifting - and doing compound lifts too - excellent!!!

The above are great suggestions. Mark Rippetoe also has a book called Starting Strength that I would HIGHLY recommend. It's basically a very thorough book on form for compound lifts - which is crucial to know, especially if you start adding weight to the bar (which you should be doing).

8-10 bucks on kindle