Tunes suitable for kids

Options
2»

Replies

• T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have all of the Disney soundtracks on my iPod!

^ this! I have a 5 & 6 year old girls, they have all the music from the Disney stars (China something, Salena Gomez, Ali and aj, and a bunch others that i don't know. They also have songs from movies (Pocahontas, mulan, Cinderella, etc.). I also let them have a few clean versions of songs they like from people like Justin bieber, Katy Perry, one direction, etc.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    What about Britt Nicole (my daughter loves her song Headphones)? She is a Christian Artist but has some secular appeal. She has other songs that are really good as well.

Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lrg6Q7j7KjA

Also, Francesca Battistelli has some good songs (again not secular but most wouldn't realize it) :happy:

Kelly Clarkston - Stronger
    Pink - Perfect (radio editted version)
    Sweet Home Alabama - Lynryd Skynrd

Good luck!
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree whole-heartedly with Beatles stuff (don't forget about Yellow Submarine!!)
    And I am in favor of the KidzBop stuff as well. But have to be careful. My son loves Fergies Big Girls Don't Cry (the KidzBop version) - but he is only 3 and I'm not too keen on him repeating that.

As for current music:
    My son listens to Fitz and the Tantrums (but they have two songs I have to turn down the volume at one part), some Adele, Florence + The Machine, some Foster the People and lots of Classic Rock and Motown. My sister, who is 11, listens to a good mix - Taylor Swift, Clean versions of Black Eyed Peas songs, singers from Disney/Nick shows. If you check out the last few NOW! Cd's. you might get some additional ideas.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves music and I don't want here listening to bad lyrics so I let her listen to kids bop because it's regular (secular) music cleaned up . Good luck!
  • jzsor12
    jzsor12 Posts: 69
    Options
    I liked Mika when I was 11 or 12 lol
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    people mentioning Paul Simon

"Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes" and "Call me Al" from Graceland are great songs for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_T3XvzPaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Disney has a Sirius/XM station--what does its playlist look like? My son is 12, and for the most part he listens to what his father and I do (Alt Nation/XMU--The Shins, Deathcab for Cutie, Band of Horses), but every now and then I get into the car to find that he's changed the station to Disney. I honestly find a lot of their music inane and overly commercial... But it's usually 'clean'.
  • ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    My 11 year old likes katie perry firework, bridget mendler, lemonade mouth, ant farm soundtrack, and I let her listen to most Taylor Swift songs. Also austin moon is on her ipod and "call me maybe",
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 8 and loves One Direction, JLS and the wanted. She also loves Rhianna, Rita Ora and Pink here you have to be careful. My son also 8 is really into any chart stuff but mainly Flo Rider. I basically alow them to listen to anything they hear it at school anyway and I am very open with my kids and tell them when unaceptable words are said. They generally stick to the rules of course they try it on but I make them know it is anaceptable. My kids also love Take That of course they get that from me most of there stuff is Ok and they have been on the go forever so lots of material to choose from. Why not get a compilation album of chart stuff usually they have the edited safe versions on there. I am in the UK we have Now 82 for our kids it has Flo Rider, Connor Maynard, Justin Bieber, Rita Ora, Rhianna etc on there and they love it.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Beautiful ~ Christina Aguilera
    Good Mother ~ Jann Arden
    Life is Sweet ~ Jann Arden
    Who I am ~ Jessica Andrews
    You Are ~ Wynonna Judd
    I hope you Dance ~ Leeann Womack
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Beautiful ~ Christina Aguilera
    Good Mother ~ Jann Arden
    Life is Sweet ~ Jann Arden
    Who I am ~ Jessica Andrews
    You Are ~ Wynonna Judd
    I hope you Dance ~ Leeann Womack

Exactly what I needed... thank you so much!
  • kellyallday
    Options
    people mentioning Paul Simon

"Diamonds on the Soles of her shoes" and "Call me Al" from Graceland are great songs for kids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_T3XvzPaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlI

You included the Youtubes! Thank you! You're so awesome!
  • kellyallday
    Options
    We bought my 6 year old son a cheap MP3 player 4 (he LOVES music) and loaded a lot of stuff from the 60s and 70s on there. He was obsessed with American Pie for the longest time! My husband and I even have a playlist on both of our iPods with his name on it!

Here's a short list of what he and his 3 year old sister listen to and LOVE....

American Pie - Don McClean
    Kodachrome - Paul Simon
    Magic - Pilot
    The Night Chicago Died - Paper Lace
    Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet
    Fins - Jimmy Buffet
    Cheeseburger in Paradise - Jimmy Buffet
    I think I Love You - The Partridge Family
    The Show Must Go On - Three Dog Night
    Saturday Night - Bay City Rollers
    Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
    Back To School Again - Grease 2 Soundtrack
    Cool Rider - Grease 2 Soundtrack

AWESOME - Thank you!
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I agree that you want to find out which way her tastes lie but for older kids, I love Barenaked Ladies kid's album "Snacktime". The lyrics are super clever and fun and not too baby-ish. If she's a smart kid and into wordplay, she might get a kick out of them. I also like some of their grown-up music for kids like "If I had a Million dollars" and "One Week".

Also, Jack Johnson who did the Curious George soundtrack has lots of cute, upbeat songs with a good message like "Upside Down".

And if you want retro, I would go with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Sugar, sugar", and "Hey, Sweetpea", all extremely danceable cute songs that I sing with my baby.

Rachel
  • dcglobalgirl
    dcglobalgirl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Also, on the retro list "Daydream Believer"
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I agree that you want to find out which way her tastes lie but for older kids, I love Barenaked Ladies kid's album "Snacktime". The lyrics are super clever and fun and not too baby-ish. If she's a smart kid and into wordplay, she might get a kick out of them. I also like some of their grown-up music for kids like "If I had a Million dollars" and "One Week".

Also, Jack Johnson who did the Curious George soundtrack has lots of cute, upbeat songs with a good message like "Upside Down".

And if you want retro, I would go with "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", "Sugar, sugar", and "Hey, Sweetpea", all extremely danceable cute songs that I sing with my baby.

Rachel

My son's current favorite song is "If I had a Million Dollars"!