foot falling asleep while i run....why and how to stop it?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I had that happen with my first pair of running shoes last month... My toes felt cold and tingly after a while, and no amount of loosening the laces helped. So I went back to the store and here they gave me the wrong fit & size shoe. They fit fine in the store but I hadn't really tried them out. After trying on another 5 or 6 pairs I ended up needing a bigger shoe, went to a different brand and a whole size up. Now they don't do that. I also strike with the middle/ball of my foot, not heel/toe.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Running shoes should be 1/2 to 1 size larger than your normal daily shoes. (depending on brand) This allows your toes to spread correctly on impact. No more numb toes since I was fitted correctly at a professional running store.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    my shoes are about what i usually wear, i went to a professional place to buy the shoes where i've been to before, but i might go back to them and tell them to try it again...

the socks thing might be another b/c they do get tight when i take them off...

its not the water b/c im drinking 100oz+ a day, i cut out sodas so thats really all i drink now is water.. im wondering if its the form crossed w/ the wrong socks and not a big enough shoe :huh:
  • Asavitzk
    Asavitzk Posts: 66
    Options
    I'll throw in another vote for inserts and good running socks. Also being fitted in a true running store where they watch you on a treadmill and let you run around the store. I had no idea there was such a difference in shoe fit until I tried on 15+ pairs in a day. I got the Superfeet Blue insole and a pair of Balega Enduro socks and man what a difference. I also got shoes that are a 1/2 size larger to allow for toe spread as well as your feet swelling during a run.

Also, make sure to bring your old shoes to the running store so they can look at the wear pattern on the tread.

I put on my old pair again last week since I'll be using them in a Warrior Dash soon and ouch - painful!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough potassium. Numbness is one of the symptoms of a potassium deficiency.
  • jpaw1002
    jpaw1002 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    i had inserts before for my shoes when i went to an ankle doctor for my bum ankle and they didnt seem to help that much. im really starting to think about taking my shoes back to the running store, b/c they did that before to me the treadmill and all of that.and everytime they feel great at the store but then i get home and start wearing them out and almost 2miles later my feet are so tingly and asleep its terrible.
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am thinking it is your form...but thats just me!
  • Nhendrickson86
    Nhendrickson86 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump! :smile:
  • atemplin500
    Options
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/compartment-syndrome

I didn't rest at all, just spent more time stretching. Super annoying though.