Hysterical or just plain wrong City, or business names

Options

Replies

• snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Gotta include Humptulips, Washington. Don't ask me how it got its name. :laugh:
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    In Austria there is a village named F*cking
    In Michigan, where I am from, exit 69 off of the freeway takes you to Big Beaver Road
    and speaking of Big Beaver Road, it changes it's name a few times, but at its junction with Van *kitten* road use to be a shopping center named Dykeland - the shopping center still exists but they changed the name

Belgium (where I live now) has tons of funny town names, Asse, Kontich (Kont in Dutch means butt, but I read this in English and Kont ich- is definitely rude), and several others
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Nowhere, Oklahoma << for real.
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone's already addressed Cumming, IA. I have driven past it several times, but never actually stopped. It's a damn shame, I know. Do they have a Kum & Go there?

When I was in college we went through Licking, MO on the way to my mom's house in Arkansas. My mom was driving, and I couldn't convince her to stop - and I didn't have enough time to get my camera and take a picture of the Adopt a Highway sign: "sponsored by Licking United Methodist Men"
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    In Austria there is a village named F*cking
    In Michigan, where I am from, exit 69 off of the freeway takes you to Big Beaver Road
    and speaking of Big Beaver Road, it changes it's name a few times, but at its junction with Van *kitten* road use to be a shopping center named Dykeland - the shopping center still exists but they changed the name

Belgium (where I live now) has tons of funny town names, Asse, Kontich (Kont in Dutch means butt, but I read this in English and Kont ich- is definitely rude), and several others

I drove up Big Beaver road when I was staying in Detroit :)
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I worked with a small commercial real estate company and I was working with two nice women that wanted to open a garment business, so I was helping them located and lease a building in a warehouse factory district. Once all was done and finalized, they named the company....Two Girls & A Hoe!!

It cracks me up thinking about much I laughed when they first told me the name of the company! Hmm....I wonder if they're still in business! :laugh:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

So you really could live in the middle of nowhere. That is awesome.
  • kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Where I live, not really the name of the business...more like placement issues.. there was a ****'s sporting goods next to a Giant grocery store. The Plaza signs had "GIANT ****'S"..... they eventually realized this though and flipped the signs!
  • justaride08
    Options
    How bout Toad Suck, Arkansas! They even have a pagent every year and someone is crowned Little Miss Toad Suck!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    We have a West Middlesex and Intercourse in Pennsylvania.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    There's Intercourse, PA. It's right down the road from Blue Ball. I kid you not.

And the just plain strange King of Prussia, PA..
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My hubby works in Cumming, GA.

I had a teacher in high school with the last name Bates. Instead of calling him Mr.Bates, we called him Master Bates. Either he didn't catch it or he was really good at keeping a straight face.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    This wasn't a company or place, but when I was living in Hamilton, there was a sign that said "GIANT ERECTION" Apparently it's an annual tent event, but the tent part was in the fine print.
  • MegdKel
    MegdKel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i live near Lancaster County PA.... yeah.

Blue Ball, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Virginville (which i think is actually in Montgomery Co), Paradise.... really, just google it... there are more.

I grew up in Lancaster :) I KNEW someone would bring these up!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I'm from Indiana and we have a town called French Lick.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options

So you really could live in the middle of nowhere. That is awesome.

HAHAHA
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I live in Paducah, Ky....located conveniently between Monkeys Eyebrow and Possum Trot....and just a little north of Hard Money!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Cut and Shoot, Texas
  • hendongirl
    hendongirl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, there used to be a Chinese takeaway near us called 'Foo King Chinese and Son'

There's also a Turkish restaurant near my work called 'Likya'

suspect!!!!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Here are my faves:
    In Arizona, just south of Tucson along the highway to Tombstone, is (was?) a store called "Vitamins Furniture Gospel."
    I passed it in 1997, and had to stop the car to take a picture. I think it was a secondhand store.
    Anyone know if it's still there?
    Also: In upper Manhattan, NYC, two streets intersect: Cumming and Seaman. (Logical, logical ... )