Going Camping - menus?

Options
This weekend my husband and I will be camping all weekend with scouts. Although I have camped a lot, not so much when I've been watching what I eat. But the great thing about this trip is we will be geocaching in a state park that involves lots and lots of walking. But I still don't want to blow it on meals. I guess I was hoping other seasoned campers/dieters out there can give me some menu advice. It's pretty much going to be food for me - other campers will plan their humungous calorie meals/snacks.

Any ideas for easy to plan/prepare meals?

Replies

• klybarger
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    beer ;)
  • klybarger
    Options
    beer ;)

:) ooops this has turned to :(

remembered we will be taking young people and we don't partake on these weekends. Planning a grown up camp out soon though!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    When everyone is having hamburgers and hot dogs you could make a veggie burger, chicken burger, or salmon burger. Grab a whole wheat bun and add lots of veggies and little to no mayo. Also, cut up veggies to snack on when everyone else is having chips. Also you can bake potatoes on the fire (wrapped in foil, sweet potato is better though). When I am camping I can't resist smores or banana boats and you can have a calorie friendly banana boat, just cut the banana down the middle and add an oz or two of a good quality dark chocolate and maybe a few mini marshmallows. not a health food, but it has a few redeeming qualities. Also, try to stick to water. I bet there will be lots of soda and juice. If you avoid sugary drinks you'll avoid a ton of cals! Have fun!!!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This weekend my husband and I will be camping all weekend with scouts. Although I have camped a lot, not so much when I've been watching what I eat. But the great thing about this trip is we will be geocaching in a state park that involves lots and lots of walking. But I still don't want to blow it on meals. I guess I was hoping other seasoned campers/dieters out there can give me some menu advice. It's pretty much going to be food for me - other campers will plan their humungous calorie meals/snacks.

Any ideas for easy to plan/prepare meals?

My experience is you will burn so many calories that you will NEED and want gynormus calorie meals. I would pre-log what 8 hours of GeoCaching (hiking, if you're the hills, so much the better) looks like in the excersise log, and plan from there.
  • klybarger
    Options
    When everyone is having hamburgers and hot dogs you could make a veggie burger, chicken burger, or salmon burger. Grab a whole wheat bun and add lots of veggies and little to no mayo. Also, cut up veggies to snack on when everyone else is having chips. Also you can bake potatoes on the fire (wrapped in foil, sweet potato is better though). When I am camping I can't resist smores or banana boats and you can have a calorie friendly banana boat, just cut the banana down the middle and add an oz or two of a good quality dark chocolate and maybe a few mini marshmallows. not a health food, but it has a few redeeming qualities. Also, try to stick to water. I bet there will be lots of soda and juice. If you avoid sugary drinks you'll avoid a ton of cals! Have fun!!!

You know what a banana boat is! We've always enjoyed them more than s'mores - didn't give you a sugary sick stomach (okay - maybe not as much of a sugary sick stomach!)
  • klybarger
    Options

I don't tolerate veggie burgers too well - not sure what the deal is there. But am thinking there's nothing better than grilling chicken on a wood fire! I think I'm going to eat well this weekend!
  • klybarger
    Options
    My experience is you will burn so many calories that you will NEED and want gynormus calorie meals. I would pre-log what 8 hours of GeoCaching (hiking, if you're the hills, so much the better) looks like in the excersise log, and plan from there.

Great idea - we'll be walking probably close to 6-7 hours each day. This makes sense.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I love banana boats!!! Way better than smores!!!!
  • Someone needs to enlighten me on what these banana boats are and how they're made! They sound delightful!! :D
  • klybarger
    Options
    Someone needs to enlighten me on what these banana boats are and how they're made! They sound delightful!! :D

Banana Boat: remove one 1 section of the peel; cut the banana down the middle (leaving it in the peel); add an oz or two of a good quality dark chocolate and maybe a few mini marshmallows; wrap in foil and put on coals until marshmellows/chocolate is melted! The banana will still be pretty cool with the warm toppings - it is so awesome.