how much do you spend on groceries

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    around 100 pound a month.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    We spend about $800-900 a month for a family of 7 :)
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    $100 a week for 3 of us. Yeah, you won't find much food in my house. :ohwell:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I buy all my groceries for the month in a single trip. It costs about $225.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I throw away as much as I buy.

I spend $100/week, but I'm trying to cut that down to $50. I throw away a lot. I wish there was a meal planning app. I need it. I don't know how to meal plan. There should be classes or online resources that are not affiliated with a store.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    I spend anywhere between $100 to $200 a week, normally it's right in the middle of there or lower. If we really have no food in the house then it's up on the higher end of that range. That is only to feed me and my fiance, as well as buying dog and cat food for our two pets.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    400 a month for my husband and I. It is difficult, but I try to stretch money as much as possible. I focus on fresh fruits and vegatables, I also try to visit my local farmers markets, you usually can make out great with your produce, it's usually cheaper there and you are supporting local farmers. I do not buy any processed foods, I stick to all natural products.

^^ This is me and my husband as well. Some months it's a bit more, if we go out to eat drink (alcohol) max add another 100 - 200$.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Wow... for everything we probably spend about $500-$600 a month... it just depends on how good the sales are and how much we need at the time... because none food items aren't bought but every couple of months or so because I buy them in as much bulk as I can store.
  • I usually spend about $80 per week on groceries just for me and two cats.
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member

I spend $100/week, but I'm trying to cut that down to $50. I throw away a lot. I wish there was a meal planning app. I need it. I don't know how to meal plan. There should be classes or online resources that are not affiliated with a store.

I'm confused what you mean by this site not offering a meal planner. I find this site to be invaluable for planning what I eat througout the day both regarding macro breakdowns as well as nutritional content of foods. I make my decisions regarding what I will eat next based on the breakdowns the site offers. What more would you like to know?
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    About $600 a month on regular groceries per month
    $500 every quarter at Sams/Costco/ etc.

Family of 4
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    We spend about $350-$400 a week. But like you said, that covers ALL groceries (food, cleaning supplies, personal care items, dog food).
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    We are a family of 7 - 2 adults, a teen aged daughter followed by 4 young boys.

My grocery bill averages about $130-$150 per week

We buy a little bit of everything. Fresh fruit and veggies, meat (hamburger, chicken, pork - we plan out our meals a week ahead and buy for the week), condiments, lunch fixings (lunch meat, bread, lunch items - chips/snacks), beer/wine/alcohol, paper products (TP and paper towels), dairy, baby diapers/wipes, cleaning supplies and health/beauty items.

I make a penny stretch a very long way. Have to with a large family. My goal though would be to get my grocery bill down to half of that for a week.

eta - cleaning supplies :)
  • neverstray

I'm confused what you mean by this site not offering a meal planner. I find this site to be invaluable for planning what I eat througout the day both regarding macro breakdowns as well as nutritional content of foods. I make my decisions regarding what I will eat next based on the breakdowns the site offers. What more would you like to know?

I'm talking about meal planning. So, before I go to the grocery store, I know what I will be eating all week...ya know? Reuse of things so I don't throw away tomoatoes or asparagus that went bad. How to plan my weekly groceries for maximum usage and value. There is no app that does this that I have found, but if someone invents one, I would pay for it.

If I buy one bunch of asparagus, it would have three dinners that week that use a serving of asparagus. If I buy 3 lbs of tilapia, it will give me several different ways to make it using spices and ingredients that I either already have, or will tell me what else I might need to buy, but minimally. The reason I said I don't want it affiliated with a store is because it is a conflict of interest. I want a third party that has my budget and best interest in mind. Whole Foods has an app like this, but it is more into getting you to spend three times more than you really need to. Every meal is like a brand new meal that requires ingredients you probably don't have. I want one that says, this week buy carrots and potatoes and well makes meals all week with those two ingredients.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    On average I'd say just over $200/week for My husband, our three children and myself. Sales, coupons, farmers markets and really careful planning are the keys to success in this area.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    My family includes my husband and 3.5 year old son. However, we live with both my parents, younger brother and my younger sister (both early 20s) comes home half of the week. Both siblings have friends over 1/2x per week. It's like a circus, and we should have our own reality show.

With that being said, my husband and I do shopping, as well as my parents, and it's all "community food" I would say our portion realistically comes to $800 a month. It's outrageous. I spend about $50/week on locally grown produce and unprocessed ready made dishes from our local Amish (Dutch) Market, $100 a week on groceries and misc products and about $200 a month on going out for meals, usually after Church on Sunday or a quick pizza.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member

I'm talking about meal planning. So, before I go to the grocery store, I know what I will be eating all week...ya know? Reuse of things so I don't throw away tomoatoes or asparagus that went bad. How to plan my weekly groceries for maximum usage and value. There is no app that does this that I have found, but if someone invents one, I would pay for it.

Not sure how much time you have to plan things out, but I have a big chalk board wall in my pantry that I use to plan out the meals for the week based on what I currently have on hand and what I can pick up at the store. For me it makes life a lot easier because we won't deviate much from that schedule.
  • neverstray

Not sure how much time you have to plan things out, but I have a big chalk board wall in my pantry that I use to plan out the meals for the week based on what I currently have on hand and what I can pick up at the store. For me it makes life a lot easier because we won't deviate much from that schedule.

Thanks. I have time, I just don't know how to do it efficiently where I use everything I buy. And how to reuse things. Anyway, I guess I think it's way harder than it is. Professional chefs make a living doing this very thing. I think it's very difficult. But, whateves.
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    I spend between $400 - $500 every month on my husband and I.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    The average month probably around $400 for me and 1 child. I have pets but their low-maintenance. (6 Betta's + 1 mouse) That's also w/o using coupons. I don't get the newspaper and no printer.