Horrible Leg Cramps - Prevention Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    might be low potassium eat some bananas/potatoes or any other food high in potassium
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Echoing what everyone else said. There's no way to know if it's nutritional or mechanical. Maybe he needs special insoles in his boots. Maybe stretching exercises when he gets home would help.

I don't get them anymore, but when I did get calf cramps, pointing the toe up toward my knee helped. So did hopping around on one leg while swearing like a drunken sailor, but pointing the toe is more socially acceptable for some reason.

And if he doesn't like bananas, I don't know many guys who'd turn down a baked potato. :drinker:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My hubby used to get them every summer when he was more active and sweat more. A few bananas a week and lots of water prevents them for him.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Tonic water with Quinine, warn you though drink it at room temperature it's nasty tasting. My uncle used to get really bad charlie horses, so he started just drinking it as preventative, it's a lot cheaper than getting quinine at the pharmacy.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I am writing all this down - thank you so much everyone!

I agree with most of the comments. Too much water dilutes electrolytes (potassium), and may increase the incidence of leg cramps in some people. Foods rich in potassium, like Low Sodium V8, OJ, and ripe bananas are good. Also calcium at night is very helpful, and of course we can’t neglect magnesium. Some people find relief drinking tonic water with quinine (talk to your doctor about quinine).

However, if the problem continues, I suggest that your husband sees the doctor for a physical evaluation and blood tests.

My husband also suffers from leg cramps in the middle of the night and I need to apply a warm towel in the leg, to release and calm the muscle.
  • wavdawg4
    wavdawg4 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    +1 for potassium but in the end magnesium fixed it for me. You can get transdermal magnesium oil spray to apply it to the relevant parts which is more effective than eating it.

Excessive water consumption will tend to reduce potassium in the body.

This is great advice. I ruptured 3 lumbar disks a few years ago (which eventually required surgery) and the nerve damage in my left leg, which remains to this day, causes vicious charley-horse type cramping in my left quadriceps. A couple of sprays of this stuff (more convenient than an epsom-salt bath which is another good way to get magnesium) and the cramping stops almost immediately.

I'll have to look into that one :) Glad I checked this thread out :)
  • wtlos4me
    wtlos4me Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My suggestions: What works for me..

I found that when I drink too much water my potassium stores get depleted. Add bananas 2 -3 times a day to the diet and a calcium and magnesium supplement at night before bed.

Also, V8 Juice is a better supplement for hydrating the blood. My doctor told me the combination in V8 is better absorbed by the body for replacing electrolites.

The other trick my grandma taught me is to rub a bar of (dry) soap on the cramping muscle area. I know it sounds weird, but it always works for me and my grandma too ;)

A suggestion...get to the doc's and have them do a bloodtest to check his electrolites and make sure there is not some other underlying reason for the problem. Potassium affects the muscles: too low can cause severe muscle cramping and too high can cause a heart attack. It is nothing to mess around with.

Good luck ;)
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    Have him eat bananas, they contain potassium, and they will help. It seems odd that he's having leg cramps if he's had this job a long time, you'd think his body would be used to it by now.

How is he sitting? Is he wrapping his legs behind him on the chair legs? Is he crossing his legs at the ankle? I've got leg cramps that way before. I assume he's not taking Lasix because that can cause horrible leg cramps, it did for my father *and* my brother.

He actually just started this job about 2 months ago. He's been having these cramps but they are become more painful. I'll ask him about his sitting as well.

THANK YOU SO MUCH everyone! This is so appreciated. I know he will be relieved to have some remedies to try. Very informative.

Again thank you ALL so much.

You are welcome. Two months is not a long time to get acclimatized to a hard physical job but it is a short time to learn bad techniques.

Now I know more about this.

Post-work, find exercises that mimic the reverse of work, odd but if I sit all day I need to elongate my body . So squats with high armraises. People sleep on their arm, pain - what to do stretch the opposite way.

Hard physical job requires about 4000 calories more than an office worker. Get the correct nutrition, use mfp. Instead of Gatorade,, use tomato juice but I believe you drink water and eat calories not drink them. Full fat milk instead of Gatorade would be better.

Everything people have said about electrolytes - diarrhea powders from chemists to replace electrolytes. Immediate balancing.

Exercise, I know. But hard work is not exercise. Aches and pain are relieved via exercise.

Still bad in a week. Seek medical attention. Forums are great, but medicine is medicine.
  • insidemelookingout
    Options
    I hate bananas so I drink plain coconut water.

Also stretching helps!