Jogging should be getting easier, right? or wrong?

Options
For some reason the last few times I went jogging, I have felt drained of energy. The first 3-4 weeks I felt energized and the more I jogged the more I wanted to keep going. The last few runs have been very hard and my times have been slower than previous. Is this normal? Is this just a slump or as I increase my distances is it supposed to get easier. I really want that energized feeling back...I think it's called endorphins. I like that feeling.

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Has it been hotter the last few times? Have you been eating enough? Do you have allergies?
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The temp has been about the same, however, I have been trying to run during the cooler times of the day. I am eating my goal amount of calories plus some (not all) of my exercise cals. As far as allergies - I get the sneezes periodically but I don't know what from. I take half an allergy pill every day and that seems to help. How do these things affect my running?
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    are you getting enough protein ect? you will need extra or you can burn yourself out :noway:
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Running DRAINS me and really zaps my energy. I MUST eat back ALL of my running calories and usually some more. Running is one of the few exercises that last as long as it does and your body needs fuel and hydration. Make sure you carry a water bottle on your person while running.
  • HendricksGolfGirl
    HendricksGolfGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Allergies can affect how efficiently your lungs and cardiovascular system are working. I find my allergies have a HUGE effect. I do better when I take Claritin D to dilate the bronchi in my lungs and clear out the mucus both.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Check what you're eating before. Maybe you are running harder or longer and not fueling up well enough before. Eat complex carbs (like oatmeal) before a run/jog because they digest slower, which means they give you energy longer than simple carbs (such as a banana). Also see if you're drinking enough water.

If you're not eating all your exercise calories, also, that could be part of it. Try eating more (especially before). Your body is getting used to the exercise so you have to push yourself harder and you may not be fueling yourself well enough for it, and your body is probably moving a bit faster (metabolism-wise) the rest of the day which could be seeping into your runs the next day.
  • AnewTif
    AnewTif Posts: 26
    Options
    My coworker who is a marathon runner told me that for every 10 degrees over 65 it can tax your pace almost 30 seconds per mile. We live in Vegas. Heat does play a factor.

I have allergies and allergy pills make me lethargic even when they say they are non drowsy. I can push through it, but on days when my allergies are especially bad it's harder.

I don't have suggestions, but I know the feeling. 12 weeks ago I couldn't even run a mile, now I can run 3.

On days I'm angry, I run harder and it feels good to get it out, but I am spent afterwards. :-)
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You could just be experiencing a slump. I've been running consistently for about 10 months and every so often I find myself going through phases where I'm doing really well and making a lot of progress, then I'll have my weeks where everything seems to stay the same, and then I'll go through a time frame where I seem to have gone backwards. Occasionally life will get in the way and I have to take a 1-2 week break. When I come back though, I seem to do really well. So maybe ease up a little? Find other activities that you enjoy so you don't become burnt out. I love running with a passion but cross-training is important too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    How large is your deficit?

If it was larger the last few days that could by why, or if over time your deficit has been quite large the cumulative effect it is having is now starting to show. the larger your deficit he less energy you have to put into exercise, vs. regular bodily functions.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've had this same feeling. This week I've mixed up my runs by doing 1 longer, then doing some speed work, changing up my route, etc. It's really gotten me back into it! If you're doing the same run every time, your body is getting used to it. Need to challenge yourself.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You are likely running all your runs too hard.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    For some reason the last few times I went jogging, I have felt drained of energy. The first 3-4 weeks I felt energized and the more I jogged the more I wanted to keep going. The last few runs have been very hard and my times have been slower than previous. Is this normal? Is this just a slump or as I increase my distances is it supposed to get easier. I really want that energized feeling back...I think it's called endorphins. I like that feeling.

Any help would be appreciated.

A lot of programmes work on a 4 week cycle then have a week that's slightly easier to counteract this I think you're just a little tired. Skip a session or go easy for a few and you should get the energy back.

Also, if you have been dropping a good bit of weight this can leave you lethargic for a while too.

Stick with it, it will pass.
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Are you giving yourself enough time to recover in between runs?
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Could you be over training?
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    No work out program is easy if you are pushing yourself!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Do you hydrate before? Eat something small?

I have a friend who is a marathoner and always eats a little something and drinks at least 16oz of water before hand.

I find that if run w/in 30 mins after eating, I get crampy. I also have noticed that if I run and I'm not hydrated enough I'll feel a little dizzy and nauseated.
  • Stevie0018
    Stevie0018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been running off & on for 10 years now. I run bc I enjoy it, I'm no marathon runner. But if you are eating good (lots of protien), hydrated, getting your sleep & everything seems normal ...it's probably just a slump. I experience them from time to time. I too LOVE my "runner's high" (endorphines that pulse through your body that make you naturally happy). But sometimes I'll go for a run and every step is forced & I feel like I'm running with bags of sand tied to my legs & hips. Don't worry about it. Mix another workout into the mix for a week & then go back to running (unless your training) ...either way, you'll get that high back. Good luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    How frequently are you running? What kind of pace are you maintaining (most should be at a conversational pace). Are you pushing your distances?

It almost sounds like you're overdoing it a bit. Take rest days and run at a gentle pace to build endurance......it really does get easier (and then you make it harder again by gradually bumping up time an distance :happy: )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are not a long distance type runner? I never really have been. So instead of runing 3K or 5K I do sprint intervals. Find a long road and pace off about 30 to 45 yards. Sprint thirty seconds nad rest sixty seconds then repeat about six times. Once you get uesed to it bump it up to about 10 sprints....do this about two to three times a week. Or do it once a week and go for your normal run. I just find tht running the same route, at the same pace, over and over, gets old real fast....
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you everyone for your advice and encouragement. I went to the massage therapist today and she said that my hips/pelvis was very tight. That could have had something to do with it. She worked on it quite a bit and it feels better.

I think many of you hit the nail on the head. I am training for my first 5K on September 16th. I have been pushing pretty hard and often. I am running 5 days then one day off. I am using the Couch to 5K app on my iPhone and have been doing it very consistently. Perhaps I just need a few days off then back to training.

I do usually get lots of protein in my daily meals. I try to have a protein and carb at every meal and drink lots of water. I eat a protein about 330 pm and run around 5-530 pm if its not too hot, however, lately I've been running first thing in the morning because it's been in the high 80's to 90's here.

Thanks again for all your help.