Men looking to lose/Motivation Needed!

Options
I am 27 and have been overweight since the age of 8. I am now very obese (more than 100 lbs. over the Dr's charts) and on blood pressure meds. Given my age I am somewhat resilient, but carrying this extra weight and the stigma attached to it is hard.

So many people on MFP are women but there may be challenges unique to men. I think the idea is that society objectifies women but men can be as fat as they want, and it's really not true. I haven't had a date in years, don't have the self confidece to even ask, and pick clothes only that will cover the flab all around my torso.

I'm not a gym guy and actually HATE working out. I'll walk the dog, so I guess that's a start. I'm not looking to be in muscle building competition, just to feel and look better for myself and everyone else.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Replies

• rrstucci
    Options
    Hi, keep up the fight, I too have been overwieght my whole life and hate to work out. I recently had the lapband procedure and that has helped alot. Down 40 /lbs But even with the Lapband they suggest you also are involved in some type of plan, WW, Gym, etc. I joined a gym and attend their group fitness program. 3 x a week with nutrion / weight tracking. And it works. I too hated to work out, but in a group of 5 to 7 people and a trainer one does much more than on your own and you will feel much better. I hate to say it but tracking ones food (at least most of the time) is critical. Dont go it alone find a gym with a good teem weight loss or fitness program.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    We're glad to see you here and welcome you to the community. With over 100 Lbs to lose you can be a real success story. I can tell you that this site works wonders if you follow your calories and make a habbit of getting to that gym that you hate so much. This has to be a lifestyle change though because if you just view it as a diet you'll never stick with it as is most peoples problem with diets in general. If you have any questions or need some motivation feel free to message or post.

Best of luck,

-Aaron
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    There are a few guys around here.

I'm only a few years older than you and I started out with a little over 100 pounds to lose. Before I even went on a walk for the express purpose of burning calories I did a lot of research. I spent two weeks researching the foods I was currently eating. That right there was enough motivation to change. Then I did research into what I should be eating. But don't try and change your diet all at once, you'll just frustrate yourself and quit.

My first major desicion was to drasticly reduce my consumption of soda. I had a 44oz of Mt Dew every day on my way to work. I added up the calories in all that soda and realized If I eliminated 4 of them that the calories saved was enough for a pound and a half a week! I still imbibe in a 22oz Mt Dew....on Friday's on my way to work. Rest of the time it's tea or water. Then the next week I quit eating chips. Anytime I wanted chips I'd grab carrots instead. And on and on.

Right now you don't like to work out. You may change your mind later, but I honestly beleive losing weight and being fit is 80% diet, 20% excersise. I like to say you can't out excersise a bad diet. Play with the food and excersise logs and you will see what I mean. While I'm getting ready to run my first 5K, I walked for 9 mo before I ever considered running. I think as you feel better you'll want to try new things. I honestly enjoy working out, but I understand it's not for everyone.

As for help with the ladies...I think confidence and persoanlity have a lot more to do with that than what you look like (most of the time.) I weighed 318 lb when i got engaged, so it certainly wasn't my flat stomach and bulging muscles. I I know a bunch of other heavy guys with good lookin ladies. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    First off,,, here's my standard "Welcome aboard" post:

"""""Welcome aboard, you've come to the right place. This is a great tool that will work wonders. Just take a look at the before and after thread - and remember that the folks with huge successes are just like you, they just started a little earlier. You can do it too, and you will, I just know it.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about 10 months now and we've done well.

You can do it too"""""""

Now, about the guy issue. Ya', it's different for us. It sux in a different way. A big girl can still get some attention, still be desired (some dudes love that - they're called "Chubby chasers"). Biggest prob the big girls deal with is other women.

For big guys, well, you know what it's like, and so do I. It can be better. You don't have to live that way. You don't have to be invisible to women. You can actually flirt, and get flirt-backs and not just eye-rolls. You can get checked out at the mall (I almost cried the first time that happened to me :happy: ). You can ask that cutie out and have her say yes,,,

There's your motivation. Look at the "before and after" thread,,, you can do this. This is just simple mathematics and self control.

Change in bodyweight (in lbs) = calories in minus calories out divided by 3500. That's it - that's the math. So, less calories in, more calories out, the weight will go down. The self control part is a little tougher, but you can do it. You're not an idiot, a child or a fool. Nobody wrestles you down and stuffs cheesecake in your face. You want to put less calories in, put less %&in' calories in.

You know what to do - and you'll get it done. We're here to help.
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    Thanks all-it's good to see the success stories. I will take the advice and keep walking and maybe work up to something more strenuous. My M.O. has been to get really excited on something like this for a week then give in, so if you see me in a week we're really doing something good!

Kevin
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah,,,

I'm not looking to be in muscle building competition, just to feel and look better for myself and everyone else.

Well why not? By your pic, you appear to be a classic endomorph. Now it may not be your thing, but I gotta tell ya', there are a lot of skinny guys chugging crap from GNC and working like demonic chihuahuas trying to build what guys like you and I can have with just a little portion control and 45 min's a day in the gym.

Be aware - you could do that if you chose to. A good trainer or strength coach can teach you to train efficiently and well and make it fun and one day you'll look in the mirror and count abs. It could happen - it happened to me, and it rocks.