retaining water- what to do?

Options
Hi I am wondering, if consuming a salty meal or salty food is going to cause water retention, is drinking lots of water the next day the only way to combat the water-weight gain? Or are there foods which assist to lower the amount of water retained?

I have noticed I can remain at a certain weight for several days but if I eat something salty I see a 2-3 lb jump on the scale the next morning. All other factors, such as calories/exercise remain the same, I don't eat more calories than I use.

Replies

• rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Salt is a wench!

I try just to drink more when I've eaten salty food or eat high water content foods.
  • lippy1727
    Options
    Try peppermint or Green Tea or water balance tablets, but eating veggies will keep the water retention down
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Interested in answers to this one, I have the same problem. It usually takes a few days for the weight to come back down for me. So frustrating!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Yeah, like lippy1727 said, the way to counteract sodium is with potassium. They balance each other as electrolytes.

Drinking the water just helps flush out the salt faster. But when you drink excessive water, you also disrupt the balance between sodium and potassium.
  • rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I saw one article that said cream of tartar dissolved in water could help since it is potassium, however another article said don't do that since it interferes with certain medications. I'm so off track today I just hope to do better tomorrow. Glad tomorrow is a new un-salty-food day.