Why does so much stuff have

Options
Corn Syrup in it? Ugh! This makes me sad :(

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when you really start paying attention to labels you'll see things in products that they have no business being in. Things like

Soy protein
    Sugar
    Corn Syrup
    Wheat
  • tblgirl04
    tblgirl04 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was going to have a snack, saw the keebler mini chips deluxe cookies original ( 170 calories, not too bad for a sweet treat) then I turned it over and saw : Contains 2 percent or less of high fructose corn syrup, molasses, corn syrup".

Twice? Really?
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's like buying something like breakfast sausage and the 2nd ingredient is "textured soy protein". So wait....the meat I'm buying isn't actually really all meat??

Really have to read carefully, food manufacturers are really putting cheap, crappy ingredients in most of our food these days.
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was going to have a snack, saw the keebler mini chips deluxe cookies original ( 170 calories, not too bad for a sweet treat) then I turned it over and saw : Contains 2 percent or less of high fructose corn syrup, molasses, corn syrup".

Twice? Really?

Actually that translates as Sugar A, Sugar B, Sugar C. I know, upsetting isn't it? Also watch out for anything on the label ending
    "-ose" as other forms of sugar. Is 170 calories low for a sugar treat? Seems high to me (but then I've been raiding the kids treat bags a lot recently)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Corn syrup is made artificially cheap through government subsidies. Cane sugar is not subsidized, therefore the manufacturers and farmers have to charge more for their product in order to turn a profit.

It doesn't end at corn syrup either. The government also subsidizes soy and petroleum. Both are artificially low in cost.

You might enjoy reading Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He talks about how government policies toward food subsidies are contributing to the obesity problems in the US.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    because the government.

seriously.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I got sick of corn syrup being in everything. I have a phone app for food allergies (I used to use it for wheat) but I now set corn as an allergy too so anything that *shouldn't* have corn in it I go ahead and scan the barcode before buying.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Because the government subsidizes corn, soy, and wheat, thus making them very cheap ingredients. That's why processed food manufacturers love them so much.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    Its not just corn syrup. corn in some form is in almost EVERYTHING!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Corn syrup is made artificially cheap through government subsidies. Cane sugar is not subsidized, therefore the manufacturers and farmers have to charge more for their product in order to turn a profit.

It doesn't end at corn syrup either. The government also subsidizes soy and petroleum. Both are artificially low in cost.

You might enjoy reading Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma." He talks about how government policies toward food subsidies are contributing to the obesity problems in the US.

Or "In Defense of Food". Awesome book.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Great comment! I will have to check out that book. I am so tired of the government trying to manipulate the people!
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Corn (in the vastly altered form that it exists in todays world) is the spawn of Satan, set forth upon the country by Satan himself, a.k.a. Monsanto........

I read every label of every food I buy and I've learned what foods do and don't contain HFCS. I swear, cutting JUST that out of my daily diet is likely the biggest contributor to my total weight loss so far.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Vegtables, fruits, lean meats, and real 100% whole wheat products. This is the way.

All preservative free and natural.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Vegtables, fruits, berries, nuts, lean meats, and healthy full fat meats. This is the way.

This.
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    Vegtables, fruits, berries, nuts, lean meats, and healthy full fat meats. This is the way.

This.

And this again x
  • Tracey0013
    Tracey0013 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Try being allergic to corn and the products it made with. I have to read every label!!!! Thank you US for a tariff on cane sugar so they had to come up with other sugars to put into things.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Watch out for those dehydrated oils also.
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    because the government.

seriously.

They don't speak for us
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Vegtables, fruits, lean meats, and real 100% whole wheat products. This is the way.

I only realized this about 4 weeks ago. Better late than never huh?
  • MonicaT1972
    Options

How do you know what are "real 100% whole wheat products?"