Exercises I can do while rehabbing knees?

Options
I have tendonitis in both knees and have to stay off of them aside from daily rehab stretches. Upper body exercises? Are there core exercises that don't really involve your legs?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Can you swim?

Weight training is always a good option. Lots of options there that don't involve your knees.
  • dangnabit
    Options
    Swimming and cycling indoors are both very low impact on your knees once you're up to them. If you have an iPhone or Android phone, try downloading the free app Workout Trainer. It has tonnes of short workouts for every part of the body that y can do at home. You can view the moves before starting so you'll know if there's anything you need to avoid. It talks you through it, pretty cool.

Ash x
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking maybe some dumbbell exercises and maybe pull-ups but that was all I could come up with. Swimming might be ok, but I was told to rest my legs and not even go for walks until I can do my rehab exercises without pain.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    For cardio, you could try punching exercises. Sit in a chair and throw all kinds of different punches, increasing speed as you go for a certain period of time. You know, straight ahead, cross punch, over your head, speed bag, upper cuts, etc. These can really get your heart rate up without having to use your legs or knees. They also engage the core.

Lifting weights and pull ups would be good too, as you mentioned.

Are you able to do crunches or sit ups at all? These would work the core and might be somewhat easy on the knees.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck with your rehab.
  • IreneAdler221
    IreneAdler221 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    For cardio, you could try punching exercises. Sit in a chair and throw all kinds of different punches, increasing speed as you go for a certain period of time. You know, straight ahead, cross punch, over your head, speed bag, upper cuts, etc. These can really get your heart rate up without having to use your legs or knees. They also engage the core.

Thanks, that's a really good idea!