Spri-Tri

Options
Has anyone here done a sprint-triathlon? If so what training program did you follow?

I am going to do one on October 7th. I am great running shape, I just ran a 10K race on 57 minutes last Saturday. I went and did a 45 minute spin class on Monday in the gym-- I have a mountain bike which I know will slow me down but I cannot buy a road bike at this time.

Just wondering if anyone here had done one and how you rotated your training!

Thanks! :)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Minimally:
    First, make sure you can handle the distances individually - don't worry about doing them all back-to-back-to-back right now. Make sure you get at least a couple of open water swims in before the race (assuming the race is in open water) - it's not the same as swimming in a pool. If you have the opportunity to scout the course ahead of time, do so, then train in similar terrain. If the course is hilly, train in the hills, that kind of thing.

Next, work on your transition. It's not hard, but it's easy to get flustered. Do it a few times so you have a feel for it and how to lay out your gear.

Lastly, know how to do some basic bike maintenance. Know how to change a flat tire (and have the tools to do it). Learn what to do if your chain falls off. Some triathletes will be nice enough to stop and help you, but IME, most don't. Most decent bike shops offer some sort of basic bike maintenance workshop that is well worth the hour or so it'll take you and the few bucks they might charge.

Additionally:
    If you have the opportunity, do some brick training (bike ride followed immediately by a run). Going from the bike to a run is an odd transition for your body, and it'll take your muscles some getting used to.

Buy a set of road tires for your mountain bike. A road bike would be great (obviously), but putting some slicks on a mountain bike is a huge upgrade for relatively little money. A decent bike shop should be able to help you get setup if it's not something you're comfortable doing on your own.

Good luck, and have fun!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I recently began training for one next summer. The Schaumburg Park District does one, and there's another in Naperville. I'd love to do both. My biking is fine, and I just started adding in running. I plan on starting the swim training next spring, since I need to pay to use a pool.

You're in much better shape than I am, my goal is to finish it in 1:45.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to do a sprint or mini-sprint next year. The swimming is my issue though. I "can" swim, but I don't do so properly and even the mini-sprint I'm looking at is a half a mile swim! I have the biking and running down (though not saying doing them back to back is easy or that I've even tried it LOL). I think jacksonpt gave you some great advice. I never thought about the bike maintenance aspect of it!
  • mleonards
    mleonards Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!!

I will look into the road tires for my bike!

I went and swam laps this evening--at a pool--swam 36 laps (50m each) in about 45 minutes. Happy with that considering I haven't swam laps in 5 years LOL! :)

There really isn't anywhere to open water swim here.....

I am going to do a bike/run brick this weekend. I've heard that is the toughest transition on your legs!