How long does it take to lose weight with cardio?

Options
How long does it usually take to lose weight?? I've started exercising and i weighed 63kg yesterday at lunch time. When i woke up today i weighed 63.5!! I dont get it! it makes me so frustrated. I exercise but the weight isn't coming off. I know it takes time, but how long does it usually take for weight loss to kick in if I cardio 3-5 times a week?

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Losing weight is such an individual thing. If you are very obese, you'll see bigger results faster than if you are closer to your goal weight. Many people don't get on the scale more than once a week (first thing in the morning with few or no clothes). If you eat a lot of processed or salty foods your body will retain water and your weight will not be very accurate.

Never, never, never give up :bigsmile:
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    How's your water intake? For all the sweat you put out, and sodium in your daily diet you take in, you need to be drinking a boatload of water. I drink at least 90 a day. My goal is eventually to drink 1/10th of my daily sodium intake, and I'm trying to keep the sodium to 1,500 or less every day.

Anyway, your body is going to hang on to water like it's the end of the world if you're not drinking enough. No amount of exercise will change that.
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    you should weigh yourself at the same time every day. i recommend weighing yourself every morning. before breakfast. once you start exercising, the weightloss will kick in pretty quick if you eat well and exercise consistently. but these first few pounds will be water weight. so you gotta keep at it. its a slow and not always steady road. but keep at it, and it should stay off for good.
  • vivo
    vivo Posts: 80
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, its very helpful:) it's just that I get discouraged when i dont see results. especially after i think i've done pretty

well at the gym!:frown:

Just a quick question, I try to drink 8 glasses of water everyday. Is that enough, considering i work out?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    8 glasses a day is just a guideline. Personally I try to drink way more. Just try drinking an extra 30 oz for a couple of days and see if it helps you at all :)
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. It all depends on your own body how soon it will start. The first week that I started, I logged every calorie, stayed in my goals, and exercised 4 times. I was so proud of myself! Then I had my first weigh in at the end of the week, and I had gained 3 lbs. that week!! I cried and was ready to throw in the towel, but gritted my teeth and went on doing the same thing for another week, when I lost back one of the gained pounds. I stuck with it, and look at my ticker 10 months later! Just be like the tortoise - slow and steady wins the race! (Of course, if I got to count that first three pounds that I gained, my ticker could say 75 . . .:wink: )
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, its very helpful:) it's just that I get discouraged when i dont see results. especially after i think i've done pretty

well at the gym!:frown:

Just a quick question, I try to drink 8 glasses of water everyday. Is that enough, considering i work out?

How much weight are you trying to lose? How tall are you? 63kg seems like a pretty decent weight. Of course it's all dependant on the stat's.

If you're exercising, partiularly cardio, you need to be drinking wayyy more water than 8 glasses. 8 glasses is roughly the amount of water you would need to consume if you were not exercising at all. If you don't consume adequate fluid your body will dehydrate and weight loss will slow (and a lot of other things will happen too). Make sure you're taking a bottle to the gym with you.

Consume your calories everyday. Starving yourself won't work either and will only hold you back from good results. Make sure you are eating 6 small meals per day.

Another tip is that you should pick a day and only weigh yourself once per week. You will definately see more consistent results that way. Choose a light outfit and wear that everytime you weigh. It is tempting to see progress daily but it will only result in frustration. Your body fluctutaes everyday throughout the day so there will be days when you "weigh more" but it doesn't last long.

If you have a firm commitment to this and a healthy lifestyle then you will begin losing weight.
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    If you just went from relatively sedentary to exercising regularly, your muscles aren't used to it... so they tend to hold extra water for a while. It is normal and expected to see a few pounds added on for the first few days - up to three weeks if working out on a consistent basis is new to your body. Don't fret. Stick with it and you WILL see the weight go back down once your body acclimates.

That said, it is important to drink enough. Like PP stated, 8 glasses (8 oz cups) is usually enough for the average person without exercise. You need to drink more (about 2-4 cups more) when you exercise regularly. If you don't, your body will hold the extra water and the scale won't budge for a while.