Non-vegetable vegetarian ideas?

Options
conniestar
conniestar Posts: 22 Member
My 18 year old son is in his 6th month as a vegetarian. The rest of our family is not, but are in support of his decision. Unfortunately, he is not interested in eating many vegetables. I am concerned about him getting enough nutrition - namely vitamins and protein. He does not like potatoes of any kind (except french fries or tater tots), any vegetables (with the exception of fresh summer corn on the cob and an occasional salad), or beans of any kind. He has been eating lots of cheese, eggs, pasta, white bread, peanut butter, and sometimes nuts. Any suggestions on how I can help him eat better?
Thanks!
Connie

Replies

• blakgarnet
    Options
    cheese, eggs and nuts (including peanut butter) are all good sources of protein. I would encourage him to eat more fruit if he won't eat veggies, although he is missing out on a lot of super foods. I would also encourage him to eat whole grains - whole wheat bread and pasta for more nutritional value.
  • weasleman42
    Options
    Soy products, milk, tofu, etc. Dark, leafy greens. Grilled and stir-fried veggies may be more palatable, if he gives them a try. A veggie diet without veggies sounds like a lot of protein and fat, so I hope he can overcome his dislikes and expand his choices. Good luck!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I couldn't tollerate any meat. Some vegi things I like are:

Trader Joe's meatless corn dogs
    Quorn Chick'n patties
    Quorn Cutlets
    Morning Star sausage
    Morning Star veggie burgers (ones made primarily with brown rice)
    Marinated Tofu (great in stir fry's) { Typically buy at Trader Joe's}

Hope this helps.
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Try raw veggies or veggies steamed just until they are warmed through. I always thought I didn't like vegetables, but actually I just don't care for OVERCOOKED vegetables. I look forward to my daily raw veggie plate almost as much as I used to look forward to my daily pint+ of ice cream!
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Have a new foods night. My parents were meat & potato people, and I was a vegetarian for over 7 years. I also started out in high school, and my parents supported my decision, so one night a week I would cook dinner and try something new. I tried out polenta, and veggie pizza (homemade) and veggie spaghetti, Stews, all sorts of stuff- devilled eggs risotto was one of my favorites, but it's NOT low fat... ;) try international cuisines, thai food is really good too.. many Asian foods have several vegetables and noodles..