Does coffee count as a glass of water?

Options
124»

Replies

• Oxxygi
    Oxxygi Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't count it. I count as water- plain water, mineral water(no sparkles), herbal tea.
    Coffee, black tea, green tea, juice is not there.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I only count water as water.

Do you count watermelon and cucumbers as water?
  • HeidiGrrrl
    HeidiGrrrl Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Coffee is liquid, so you can count it as such. The whole "diuretic" effect is old, outdated science. The reason for the "8 glasses a day" thing is because people generally don't drink enough or listen to their body's thirst cues, so they give you a guideline. It's not carved in stone.

I did discover the other day that the coffee I was drinking had calories! It was a Keurig k-cup of Wolfgang Puck's "Jamaica Me Crazy", which is coconut infused, and it actually has 4 calories in one serving. So, I had to start counting that, too.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says for each cup of coffee I drink, I need to drink an EXTRA cup of water (above my normal 8) to make up for it because it is a diuretic.

Get a new nutritionist. :noway:

You have to drink 7 cups of coffee to get any actual diuretic effect. So yes, coffee counts toward your fluid needs. I wish the '8 glasses of water' would be changed to '8 glasses of fluids'. Because milk, juice, coffee, soda all count. The only think that wouldn't count is straight hard liquor.

Soda and and koolaid count towards water intake? Hmm
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    My nutritionist says for each cup of coffee I drink, I need to drink an EXTRA cup of water (above my normal 8) to make up for it because it is a diuretic.

You have to drink 7 cups of coffee to get any actual diuretic effect. So yes, coffee counts toward your fluid needs. I wish the '8 glasses of water' would be changed to '8 glasses of fluids'. Because milk, juice, coffee, soda all count. The only think that wouldn't count is straight hard liquor.

Yes, get a new Nutritionist.
  • KariOrtiz2014
    KariOrtiz2014 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Such controversy... I personally count coffee as half of my daily fluid intake. So four coffee or tea beverages and four waters equal my eight. Any coffee above 4 I have to have a water as well.
  • 1sgs
    1sgs Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is a VERY MILD diuretic, but it's not sufficient to offset the fact that you just drank a cup of coffee.

Also, you don't HAVE to drink 8 glasses of water per day, that's pseudoscience - your body is more than capable of telling you when to drink....drink when you're thirsty.

I read somewhere that when we think we are hungry, sometimes it is actually thirst. (Do I read too much on the net?)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I am a Registered Dietitian. Coffee is considered a diuretic. You should be drinking 1 cup of water for EVERY CUP OF COFFEE.
    Being a registered dietitian doesn't preclude you from being wrong, which is obvious here since you are wrong.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options

Yes, get a new Nutritionist.
    It's been two years, maybe they already have...
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    If you add Crystal Light to your water, it's still considered water, with flavor.

I would say running it through a coffee pot or tea maker is still going to make it water with flavor.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it depends on the context. If I ask for a glass of water in a restaurant and they give me a cup of coffee instead I'll be annoyed.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I am a Registered Dietitian. Coffee is considered a diuretic. You should be drinking 1 cup of water for EVERY CUP OF COFFEE.
    Being a registered dietitian doesn't preclude you from being wrong, which is obvious here since you are wrong.

^^^^ this

caffeine is a mild diuretic, but in quantities that you're used to it makes no difference.... as in yes you can count tea and coffee in your water count on MPF

but IMO counting cups of water is misleading, especially the 8 cups/day recommendation, because how much water you need depends on how much you sweat which depends on the climate and your activity levels... I'm here in Bahrain in midsummer and it's sweltering hot and humid too... If I was only drinking 8 cups of water a day I'd be dehydrated. I drink about 2-3 litres a day, but I don't count it, I just drink cups of tea throughout the day and if I'm thirsty (which is most of the time) I drink water. If my pee's not very pale (sorry if TMI but this really is the best way to check) then I drink more water.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    I don't count it. I count as water- plain water, mineral water(no sparkles), herbal tea.
    Coffee, black tea, green tea, juice is not there.
    No sparkles? Why? Does carbon dioxide prevent water from being water? Since it's in the air too, do you need to hold your breath for a particular length of time before/after drinking water so you don't get dehydrated?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

And you just decided you HAD to comment on this thread that was about 6 months dead.

BONJOUR to you too!

ETA: Oh and...Tuna Brownies. Some will understand :laugh:
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There sure a lot of 'old wives tales' with diet and health.

Yes, coffee counts as weight loss.
    Also - having 8oz a day is a myth as well. If not, explain why it's 8oz for someone who's 80lbs and someone who's 400 lbs.

Your body gets water for anything that enters your mouth. It takes it from liquids (coffee, etc) and foods (meats, veggies, etc).
    You're better off going by the colour of your urine. If it's dark - drink more. If it's clear, you can drink less. Also, if you're muscles are sore having an extra cup of water would probably be beneficial. Listen to your body not what 'someone has told you' through misleading tales.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options

I think I must be dead then.