how big is too big

Options

Replies

• BRANDYGR8MOVES
    BRANDYGR8MOVES Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yeah you're starting off big, but everyone starts off somewhere.

I'm a huge biggest loser fan and if you go sensibly they prove that even at 500+ lbs you can do it. As the other guys say, don't be concerned about time. If you finish it just think of how much that will push you on to not quit when the going gets tough. Push on through and beat your demons. Let me know how you get on and add me as a friend if you like.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best of luck

thanks will do fingers crossed
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    Options
    I was going to say probably 13 inches, but I see this was a different topic.

lol yeah didnt think of that when i posted funny
    :laugh:

That's what kind of topic i thought this was before i clicked. Then again I do have a very dirty mind. :bigsmile:

But.. about your question. Just take it slow and listen to your body. You'll be surprised in just a few weeks how much more you can do and how good you feel! Good luck! :drinker:

whats bad is im very dirty minded and i wrote it and didnt notice
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    hi im a very large woman of over 380 i was wondering how big is too big to start c25k im already guessing ill be slow but i need change but im not sure if it will hurt me more then help me thanks in advance:happy:

Per Dan on IPOARM : "Cardio is great for accelerated fat loss but if you are overweight or obese I would only recommend a brisk walk. Every pound of fat on your stomach is 8 on the knees and 10 on the upper back. Once you get down to an acceptable BF level then run to your hearts content."
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    Thought of a few more words of advice... Don't hesitate to repeat weeks too! Do week 1 five times if that's what feels right for you. Make sure your body is ready to progress.

im figuring it will take me a long time an repeating weeks for a while but im sure i can do it even if it takes me a year to complete

Nothing wrong with a year, but for me I gave up on C25K after week 3 for this reason - I got to the point I could run longer than they said, and when I had to do the walk portion I didn't want to run again. I have run almost 9k and that is just running until I can't run no more (well thru all my periods of wanting to stop!!)
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I started on MFP @ 361lbs last June. I started walking in August & I would run as far as I could, then take a break. I could only run a quarter of a block if ANYTHING. Gradually the distance increased. I slowly pushed myself further and further. I ran until I felt like I was about to die, then I would walk. I got up to 2 blocks. Over time, it became easier. In perfect, flat, paved, cool conditions, I can run a mile straight. I weigh 272.2lbs and can run a mile!!

Myhubby & I teach people that are blind to use canes and he took a group via city bus and I took a group by foot. I told him that I would meet his group at the bus stop and help get them across the street. Well, the bus got there early and I was still across the parking lot....so what do I do?? I RUN!! It was awesome, the ones with vision couldn't beleive this big o girl could move like that!! Do what you can love!! You are starting on a LONG, hard journey, but it will be soooooo worth it in the end!! Congrats!!
  • BRANDYGR8MOVES
    Options
    SO LAST NIGHT I TRIED TO JOG DID ABOUT 15 STEPS AND FELT A POP IN MY KNEE WITH A SHARP PAIN GUESS IM NOT READY I DID WARM UP WITH WALKING FIRST IM NOT GOING TO GIVE UP JUST GOING TO HEAL MY KNEE THEN TRY AGAIN CAUSE I REALLY WANT TO DO THIS:happy: :flowerforyou:
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be fine if you listen to your body. I would get close with your doctor too. Make sure you have a clear sense of your vitals before doing any exercise.

Agree 100%. Do you have a heart rate monitor? I would consult with your doc on your target heart rate and use the HRM to monitor it during your workout. I don't think any size is too big (as long as people are mobile) to start any program. That is a really great program too.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Ive never ran anything in my life and I'm not that large at all. Id say if the doctor approves, GO FOR IT!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Definitely work on walking. I'd implement a daily walking routine, whatever is comfortable. Build up to 3 or 4 miles then I'd recommend doing C25k. If you can already walk 3 or 4 miles on a regular day, then try implementing fast walking intervals.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Not what i was thinking!
  • laprovocateur
    laprovocateur Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    the beauty of c25k is it is flexible and can be done by anyone with full mobility. however.... i would suggest knee/ankle braces and frequent breaks. I was about 230# at my heaviest ever and could barely run down the block without falling to the ground in pain. don't overexert, but don't be lazy either.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I have to say, this wasn't what I thought this thread was gonna about.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor. Last thing you want to do is injure yourself to where you can't do anything. If he or she gives the go ahead, try it but listen to your body. Pain is not a good thing, and usually means you should stop.
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It all depends on your fitness level now. When I started my weight loss journey I was 335 lbs (I'm 5'1") and walking was the only exercise I could handle at that point. I am now hovering at 100 less but still don't feel comfortable starting c25k because I don't want to hurt myself. It's a personal choice and you may want to consult your doctor. Best of luck!!!!!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you and your current fitness level. Do you currently walk? If not, I'd start walking. 380 lbs can be hard on joints so walking/fast walking may be preferable to running until you get to a lower weight.

I agree with this, I tried C25K when I was around 320lbs but I ended up doing more harm than good to my body! I ended up having knee surgery to fix what I had messed up from pushing to hard.

I have lost around 51lbs now and am at 264lbs and have noticed a big difference on my knees! I would say you can try it out to see how your body responds but if your joints are killing you the following day you may want to just start with brisk walking until you get to a more tolerable weight! Hope this helps!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    ok, i admit, i giggled. then i read...

OP: i was 350 when i started c25k. i started w/ a walk/power walk. soon i wanted more and i started actually slow run and slow jog.
  • _KatieKat
    _KatieKat Posts: 224
    Options
    oh!........your title was very misleading....LOL:grumble:

you can start training just take it slow and dont do more than you can do and work up to alittle more about once a week. I run 5Ks and it took awhile to train for it. do run/walk at first. run two mins walk one for about a mile and work up to more.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    When you hit your gag-reflex you'll know.
    Running can do that to you.
  • meganlynn0103
    Options
    i started out walking. I weighed in at 257lbs when i started and the only physical activity i had was walking to the car, sofa or kitchen. i started with walking around the block. then went up to 3 miles. I now can jog two laps around the school track. Cant do them consistantly but that is what i am working on now and i can do at least 1.5 laps before i feel like i am about to die. start slow and you will build up to where you want to be.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    C25K can be a good base to start you on your fitness journey. At your weight it is probably not good for your joints to try to run yet but you can use the interval timing to build your stamina now. The intervals can be used first as walk vs walk faster to build up your pace for sustained exercise. Then play it again but this time do fast walk vs slow jog. Once you work through that then try it again as walk fast jog and finally as walk run. If you use it that way you will not risk injury and will continue to progress.
    As your fitness improves so will your ability to maintain a higher tempo.

Be sure you have well fitted shoes and a full support sport bra!
    Also as you first start it may be better to use a heart rate target for your intervals rater than a speed target.